Reply
Valued Contributor
casinoannie97
Posts: 1,986
Registered: ‎08-17-2007

COMPUTER

my computer is like a snail!!!!

Could it be facebook?  It was fine b4.

 

Valued Member
enerd
Posts: 46
Registered: ‎04-11-2011

Re: COMPUTER

If you're on windows... off the top of my head.. I know there's a lot more but I'm tired, lol..

 

Built-in things you can do

 

Windows Key + R.. or Start > Run

Type "msconfig"

 

There's options to get rid of stuff at startup.

 

Toolbars, Add-Ons, etc. in browsers often are updated on _every_ call to a webpage, and this can make the internet d-r-a-g.. Disable anything like HotBar, Game bars, even AOL/Yahoo/Google toolbars (unless you ACTIVELY use them).

 

Tools


CCleaner is a free tool that can open up some space and do a little more than msconfig


Starting April '11: 624 EQ / 595 TU / 585 EX*
Rebuilding Low Score: 597 EQ / 595 TU / 577 EX**
Current Score: 650 EQ / 672 TU* / 632 EX*
Goal Score: 700
* = FICO Lender Pull / ** = PSECU / MIDLAND = Google "Email to the bigwigs"


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007

Re: COMPUTER

Try erasing your cookies.

 

My laptop has been dragging its knuckles after I've done a lot of online window shopping. I flushed the cookies, and I'm back in business.

 

On a Mac, it's Tools, Clear recent history..., and then select Cookies. I don't remember how you do this on a Windows computer, but it was pretty easy. It was under Privacy or Security, IIRC.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Moderator Emeritus
MarineVietVet
Posts: 14,537
Registered: ‎07-14-2009

Re: COMPUTER


haulingthescoreup wrote:

Try erasing your cookies.

 

My laptop has been dragging its knuckles after I've done a lot of online window shopping. I flushed the cookies, and I'm back in business.

 

On a Mac, it's Tools, Clear recent history..., and then select Cookies. I don't remember how you do this on a Windows computer, but it was pretty easy. It was under Privacy or Security, IIRC.


You can go to Tools, then Internet Options, and that will take you to an area where you can delete browsing history, cookies, temporary files, etc.

 

 

 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Super Contributor
DI
Posts: 5,744
Registered: ‎01-28-2008

Re: COMPUTER

You probably need more memory.  Ever since adding memory to my Acer laptop it's been great.  It no longer make loud noise and doesn't get as hot.  The speed is perfect. 

Valued Contributor
Uborrow-Upay
Posts: 2,708
Registered: ‎10-16-2008

Re: COMPUTER


enerd wrote:

If you're on windows... off the top of my head.. I know there's a lot more but I'm tired, lol..

 

Built-in things you can do

 

Windows Key + R.. or Start > Run

Type "msconfig"

 

There's options to get rid of stuff at startup.

 

Toolbars, Add-Ons, etc. in browsers often are updated on _every_ call to a webpage, and this can make the internet d-r-a-g.. Disable anything like HotBar, Game bars, even AOL/Yahoo/Google toolbars (unless you ACTIVELY use them).

 

Tools


CCleaner is a free tool that can open up some space and do a little more than msconfig


+1  (with the caveat that CCleaner can be very dangerous to a box,  if used by a novice who chooses to ignore certain defaults).

 

There's a whole lot of applications out there that are set by default to automatically check and/or upgrade.  These all run right at startup, and they're competing for the same CPUs and bandwidth.

 

I upgrade/check for upgrades manually, but that won't work for people who do something other than computer-related work for a living. 

 

The best idea (IMO) is to boot up about ten minutes before you think you'll really  need to use that box.   The auto upgrade apps will have fought it all out by then. 

 

:smileyhappy:

 

 

Valued Contributor
casinoannie97
Posts: 1,986
Registered: ‎08-17-2007

Re: COMPUTER


MarineVietvet wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Try erasing your cookies.

 

My laptop has been dragging its knuckles after I've done a lot of online window shopping. I flushed the cookies, and I'm back in business.

 

On a Mac, it's Tools, Clear recent history..., and then select Cookies. I don't remember how you do this on a Windows computer, but it was pretty easy. It was under Privacy or Security, IIRC.


You can go to Tools, then Internet Options, and that will take you to an area where you can delete browsing history, cookies, temporary files, etc.

 

 

 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".


I did that.  went into tools, internet options, and erased temp files, etc.  SPEEDED right up.  THANKS

Regular Contributor
Kay_Cee
Posts: 201
Registered: ‎01-16-2008

Re: COMPUTER

You can also go to the start menu, select all programs, then accessories, then system tools and run the disk cleanup.  it may take a bit of time to run but, it really can make a difference.  Good Luck!

Super Contributor
marty56
Posts: 5,672
Registered: ‎10-06-2007

Re: COMPUTER

I would not recommend any of those so-called PC speeder-upper.  Most dork with the registry and cause more harm then good.

09/12/2013 FICO: EQ: 772 EX:813 TU:752

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}