Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Refund BS and New Slogan Game

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: California Refund BS and New Slogan Game

Actually, there are several options we have to continue the United States of America at a lower energy and complexity level.  The problem is I'm not seeing any serious attempts by the Powers That Be to pursue such efforts.  What I am seeing is a futile effort to prop up the current system and bring us more of the same.  Problem is, even if our economy does ever begin to recover, we're going to butt right back up against the oil shortage we were suffering last year around this time.  So "recovery" in the usual sense of the word--a return to the previous status quo--simply isn't a viable option.  But that's what Bush and Obama both appear to have been/currently pursuing.
Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time to get your slogans in still... even though California has released money to pay the tax refunds, nobody has seen a penny yet. Smiley Happy 

California- The Golden State "No Yankee Greenbacks Allowed"

California- "Legalize It"

California- "Time to move back to your home stae"

California- "Viva Mexico"

California- "Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live here."

Message 12 of 26
demi
Established Contributor

Ok, enough California bashing.Smiley Tongue..it can worse, you can live here and be a local government employee like me !

My personal feeling...we are just too big- I see another attempt at breaking up the state in the future.  Another problem has been our voter initiated propositions where the public (thats all of us, not just the legislators) have time after time voted for expensive propositions mandating funds...without the funding.  Three strikes you are out have filled the priosons to overflowing.  Mandates on education spending take away fire money (yet we are still way down in funding for schools). 

My vote...California, love it or leave it

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 26
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@demi wrote:

Ok, enough California bashing.Smiley Tongue..it can worse, you can live here and be a local government employee like me !

My personal feeling...we are just too big- I see another attempt at breaking up the state in the future.  Another problem has been our voter initiated propositions where the public (thats all of us, not just the legislators) have time after time voted for expensive propositions mandating funds...without the funding.  Three strikes you are out have filled the priosons to overflowing.  Mandates on education spending take away fire money (yet we are still way down in funding for schools). 

So SoCal might secede from the rest of us?  I wouldn't complain.  Smiley Wink

My submission for a new California slogan: "Welcome to California.  Bring an open mind, an open wallet, and your own water."

Message 14 of 26
laz98
Senior Contributor

@demi wrote:

this is not meant to offend you, demi...just throwing in my 2 cents Smiley Happy

honestly, i have always found this statement offensive.  people say this a lot about the united states, & i don't think that's fair.  i think it's good for people to criticize their government.  otherwise, how can it possibly improve?  it is supposed to be representative of the people, after all Smiley Wink  & if the people don't speak up, how will anyone know if the government is doing a good job or not?

Message 15 of 26
demi
Established Contributor

No offense, I actually agree Smiley Wink.  It was the only slogan I could think of.  But, I do like my California, 4th generation, and am kind of defensive. I do look at it as the ultimate in the land of opportunity...and I would not like to see it broken up.

Since I moved to the foothills three years ago, and only about 20 minutes from Sacramento, I am paying much more attention to the politics.  Its not a pretty site (but not political discussion !).

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a Californian myself, I believe this state has a lot of potential despite the coming oil crash.  The problem is that unlocking that potential is going to require a lot more thinking outside the box than the politicians and many of the people who elect them seem capable of doing.  We're going to have to reorganize the state at a far lower level of complexity and energy consumption than it is organized at today.

One of the best investments we could make would be a revitalization of our rail systems.  No, I'm not talking maglev or anything that exotic.  I'm talking old-school Diesel choo-choo trains and tracks they can safely run on up to 80 miles an hour or so.  Rail is far and away the most efficient means of transporting mass from one point to another.

Another technology we should be spending as much money on as possible is desalination.  Being able to economically (in terms of energy input, which ultimately will be the true measure of what is economical and what isn't) turn seawater fresh may very well make the difference between the L.A. Basin being viable in the low-carbon era, versus turning into a death zone that hundreds of thousands of thirsty, hungry, desperate people are forced to flee.

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

California Tax Refunds Held Hostage Day 60-ish.  Still no refund. Despite them having had my return since January "16th" I mailed it on the 9th so go figure that out.

Still no clear cut winner on the slogan contest.

This week might be the week my return is processed (as I hear John Chiang laughing at us "The checks in the mail" I mean really who hasn't used that line once or twice in their lives.)

Lets start voting on the slogans we have received. You cannot vote for your own. In the case of a tie we will have a sudden death cage match to determine the winner! 

"California- Who needs a budget with this weather"

As for the political conversations, us Southern Californians already consider ourselves a seperate state anyway so go ahead and secede. We'll still steal your water!

Message 18 of 26
2wheel
Frequent Contributor

CALIFORNIA-- THE GREEN STATE... UNFORTUANLY ITS NOT MONEY.
2wheel
Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lel wrote:

So SoCal might secede from the rest of us?  I wouldn't complain.  Smiley Wink

Nice.  Smiley Mad

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.