cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all music lovers: Any death metal fans out there?

tag
LouMinotti
Regular Contributor

Re: Calling all music lovers: Any death metal fans out there?

I'd prefer to call it progressive metal :-). I'm a huge fan of Opeth-- have seen them five times now and met them last May after their show at Constitution Hall. But the best show was two weeks ago at Ramshead live in Baltimore.Mikael Akerfeldt is a genius, however I hate Bloodbath even though my sons tell me that Bloodbath isn't a "serious" band. Others fav's include Katatonia, Blind Guardian, DreamTheater, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Between the Buried and Me, Baroness, Godspeed You!Black Emperor, and SaviourMachine. I've seen almost all of the above live.

There's so much great music coming out of Europe that I never would know about if it weren't for my kids who are musicians and students of progressive metal. Same can be said of artists in the states who you'll never hear on corporate radio unfortunately.

I consider Opeth's "death metal" to be poetic and sublime, they really are king of that genre. Bottom line though is that if an artist has superb melody, instrumentation, and compositions that fuse multiple genres, it'll ought to be considered progressive even if the lyrics are rather dark and disturbing. :-)

July 08 FICO TU/683 EQ/629 EX/658
Goal: 700+ by June 09
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Message 11 of 21
cantretire
Contributor

Fused:  A side note - where did you get your avatar?  I HAVE to send that to my brother!

OK, back to our regularly scheduled thread

Message 12 of 21
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@LouMinotti wrote:

I'd prefer to call it progressive metal :-). I'm a huge fan of Opeth-- have seen them five times now and met them last May after their show at Constitution Hall. But the best show was two weeks ago at Ramshead live in Baltimore.Mikael Akerfeldt is a genius, however I hate Bloodbath even though my sons tell me that Bloodbath isn't a "serious" band. Others fav's include Katatonia, Blind Guardian, DreamTheater, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Between the Buried and Me, Baroness, Godspeed You!Black Emperor, and SaviourMachine. I've seen almost all of the above live.

There's so much great music coming out of Europe that I never would know about if it weren't for my kids who are musicians and students of progressive metal. Same can be said of artists in the states who you'll never hear on corporate radio unfortunately.

I consider Opeth's "death metal" to be poetic and sublime, they really are king of that genre. Bottom line though is that if an artist has superb melody, instrumentation, and compositions that fuse multiple genres, it'll ought to be considered progressive even if the lyrics are rather dark and disturbing. :-)

Are you in Baltimore Lou? I drive up there once a year for Maryland Death Fest. It happens every Memorial Day, and is a weekend long showcase of awesome death metal. 

It was at a place called Sonar this year. 

Here we go again...
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've gotten into "Into Eternity" and I've been listening to "Soilwork" and "Scar Symmetry."  You can try them if you like.
Message 14 of 21
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

I'm also into "All that remains" Are they metal or death metal?
Message 15 of 21
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

I'm a big metalhead. I love lots of different metal. I like old school heavy metal, (Judas Priest, Motorhead, Black Sabbath) speed and thrash metal, (Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax) and also stuff like power metal (Dragonforce) and groove metal ( Pantera).

But oddly, I generally can't stand death metal. It just bugs me. (shrugs) Mainly it's because the vocals almost always consist of nothing but "Blarg Blarg Growl Growl". When the whole song sounds like the singer is trying to hawk up something caught in his throat, something's wrong. Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 21
laz98
Senior Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

I'm a big metalhead. I love lots of different metal. I like old school heavy metal, (Judas Priest, Motorhead, Black Sabbath) speed and thrash metal, (Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax) and also stuff like power metal (Dragonforce) and groove metal ( Pantera).

But oddly, I generally can't stand death metal. It just bugs me. (shrugs) Mainly it's because the vocals almost always consist of nothing but "Blarg Blarg Growl Growl". When the whole song sounds like the singer is trying to hawk up something caught in his throat, something's wrong. Smiley Very Happy

dragonforce is awesome!!!  i was lucky enough to see them at ozzfest a couple years ago...it was great!  their new cd is really good, too.

i'm definitely with you on the death metal growling, though.  i can't stand that!  i don't get it at all.

what about female fronted bands?  i only ask because i saw in this moment tonight Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you ever heard of a "black metal" band called Mayhem?  They're from Norway. 
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
I'm morbidly curious, so I figured I'd post a thread about it. I am a fan of underground metal in general.

Some of my favorites are:

Mercyful Fate

Tank 

Celtic Frost 

Destruction 

Slayer

Bathory

Immortal

Plasmatics / Wendy O.

Message 19 of 21
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Have you ever heard of a "black metal" band called Mayhem?  They're from Norway. 

Oh yes. I know all about Mayhem. Ha.

I love the Norwegian stuff. If I ever become independently wealthy I fully plan on buying a home and maintaining a residence in Oslo. 

Here we go again...
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.