New Contributor
dytch2220

Capital One Image Card - Image Selection Denied!!

I spent some time playing around on Capital One's website a couple of nights ago after having received my new card.  I noticed they offer the option to select a personalized image to print on your card called Image Card.  I was excited and immediately knew I wanted a Monet painting on mine!  I don't like a lot of Monet but there is one I love, my absolute favorite painting bar none -- "Saint-Georges majeur au crépuscule."  You can view the painting on wikipedia if you're not familiar with the work.  Today I got back the following message:

Sorry the image you submitted for your Capital One® Image CardSM has been rejected. We will not approve any images that contain the following:

Material that could infringe on the copyright or trademark rights of another party, including branded products, marks, or business names

Monet was deceased on 5 December, 1926.  Both France (where the painter lived and worked) and the US (where the card was issued) follow "life of the artist +70 years" with respect to copyright law.  This means the copyright for all Monet works expired near the end of 1996.

There was a number listed that I can call if I believe the image was denied in error and I plan to do just that.  I'm not posting this to whine.  While it's annoying it certainly has no impact on building my credit which is the primary reason I'm doing business with Cap One.  More of an FYI that if you're going to use the Image Card service, know that they seem to be following a deny first, ask questions later strategy.

FICO (11/22/10): EQ 531 TU 559 EX 590
Short Goal FICO: 640+ x3
Long Goal FICO: 760+ x3
Established Contributor
TheCreditKid

Re: Capital One Image Card - Image Selection Denied!!

lol that sucks...

Good luck

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Valued Contributor
clocktick

Where did you get the picture of the Monet painting from?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

[ Edited ]

Interesting, because Discover has two Monet images from their pick-one list of cards.

eta: Here's the image dytch wants to use, and I can see why:

saint-georges.jpg

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Super Contributor
marty56

I would never do business with them but if I did, I would like to have a picture of Dave Ramsey on my card holding a scissor to a Cap 1 and BofA card.

09/12/2013 FICO: EQ: 772 EX:813 TU:752
Frequent Contributor
gangof4

There goes my "Starry Night" idea.  :/

New Contributor
dytch2220

I finally had the time to call Cap One and dispute the image denial today.  The agent protested at first that copyright can extend to 80 years or that the copyright could have been purchased by another person.  I rebutted that the 80 year rule is true, however, it is for only a few countries and the US and EU are not among them.  Furthermore, even if copyright did extended to life +80 years in the US and/or EU, Money has been dead 84 years so the point is moot!  I explained that the copyright was released in 1996 and could not be sold to another party because the works are now in the public domain.  After a 2-3 minute hold, the agent came back to say that he would manually override the decision to deny the image selection because it does not pose any risk of violating copyright laws.  WIN!!  A few minutes later in the email: "Congratulations! Your image is approved."  Booyeah!#$%  7-10 business days and I'll have 'er.

New Contributor
dytch2220

clocktick wrote:

Where did you get the picture of the Monet painting from?

I obtained the high resolution photograph from wikipedia.  The image is available in their media commons (which is further proof that it exists in the public domain).

New Contributor
dytch2220

Card rec'd today.  Victory!!!

ap3xlabs

[ Edited ]

Wanted to bump this thread because I just recieved an email from Capital 1 (After finally being bored enough to create an image card), denying my submission due to "Competitive marks/names (e.g. Discover, American Express, etc.).".

The funny thing about this is that I actually created the image in Photoshop, and then added a flourished "R" for my initial. - http://i.imgur.com/jHW19.jpg

I called Capital one and they gave me the "well, can you just submit another image?" answer. I plan on calling again monday and play CSR roulette.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}