Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car broken into...potential identity breach

tag
shychi24
Established Member

Car broken into...potential identity breach

My car was broken into last week and some items were stolen (and later retrieved about a block away) but, not everything that was taken was left behind. I fear that there may have been some documents with sensitive information that have been taken along with some random pieces of mail. What are my next steps? I've already taken care of the car piece (police report, replaced the window, etc.) and I ran my annual credit reports right afterward, nothing fishy yet. Should I run my childs' as well? Do I get some kind of ID theft subscription somewhere? Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Starting Score: 5/2011 579 EX (Fako)
5/2012: 660 EX (Fako) 680 EQ 704 TU
5/2013: 682 EX 698 EQ 735 TU
8/2014: 715 EX 714 EQ 714 TU
Goal Scores: 720 across the board
In the Garden until July 2015; last app May 2014

My wallet: BoA Platinum Plus $7,500, BoA Cash Rewards $5,000, Barclay's UPromise MC $5,000
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
KaLin
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Car broken into...potential identity breach

The first thing you should do is add a fraud alert onto your account with all 3 credit reporting bureaus.  They will need the police department case number from the police report that you filed and it should remain on your account for a period of 3 years, IIRC.  Then, if anyone tries to open new lines of credit with your information, you should receive a call for verification on whether or not it's actually you opening the new account.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.