Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car rental suggestions

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Car rental suggestions

In September I'm flying to Orlando and will need to rent a car.  This will be the first time I've rented a car in almost ten years.  What I'm looking for is a rental company that is at the airport and would prefer one that isn't going ot hit me with a hard sell for everything.  Any suggestions from the travelers here?

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Re: Car rental suggestions

They're all going to try to sell you stuff.  But I've consistently had the best experience with Alamo.

Regarding some of the rental companies' sales tactics, use the umbrella phrase "I would like to decline all coverage options."  Or "if it costs extra money, I do not want it."  There have been times when I've had to repeat things like that several times.  I once had a Hertz employee ask if I wanted to choose between two options, both were extra money, as if those were the only two options.  Very sleazy, imo.  However, Alamo hasn't consistently pushed things at me nor do they persist if you decline.

Message 2 of 11
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I've used Enterprise many times with no problems. Tell them you don't want extras and that you have primary coverage with your credit card.

Message 3 of 11
rebound2014
Contributor

I would first suggest looking into any free shuttle options from MCO to your hotel. Orlando being what it is, many of the hotels & resorts around here offer complimentary airport shuttle services. Then you could go through Enterprise ("We'll pick you up..") to receive much lower rates than what you would be offered at the airport location. As for the additional charges such as the insurance, use that CSP to reserve/pay for the rental and it will already be covered under the Visa Signature benefits.

Sidenote: If this is a Disney trip... Disney offers the complimentary airport shuttles AND offers car rentals on property through Alamo. Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would check out Sixt, the offer some really nice luxury cars for the same prices the other guys charge for compacts. I also like Hertz, being that they are the only ones that will rent to me lol. 

Message 5 of 11
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would check out Sixt, the offer some really nice luxury cars for the same prices the other guys charge for compacts. I also like Hertz, being that they are the only ones that will rent to me lol. 

What's the story behind that lol

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CommanderLexa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What's the story behind that lol

They are the only agency that will rent to 19 year olds. They have a special agreement with USAA to rent to people 18-21 I can also rent with no added young driver surcharges as well. All other agencies start at 21 but even then will charge an exorbinant fee to do so. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enterprise and Dollar Car Rental.  Dollar has a pot luck that is usually around $15/day.  In the case of the pot lucks we have always gotten brand new flully decked out Dodge  Ram pickup.Enterprise some locations are not so good 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been using Enterprise for over a quarter of a century for rentals, both travel and auto-repair purposes, and have pretty much always been satisfied.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any loyalty to any one car rental company and generally go with whichever is the cheapest for a standard or full size care. I almost always book thru carrentals.com since they will show all the available rental places at the airport or offsite only if you want. You don't have to prepay and can cancel and rebook at a later date if you check later and find a cheaper place. There've been trips to Florida where I rebooked a half dozen times.

If you signup for a rental car membership with, say, Hertz or Avis and enter all your info, you won't have to deal with the people at the counter at all. Check in on line and go straight to your car (or so I've heard - I haven't tried it)

My upcoming trip, I booked through Hilton's website since they have a deal on where you get 500 HHonors points for booking, then another 500 pts per day of the rental up to a total of 5000 pts. I've noticed some of the airlines do this as well.

Having made you read all of that, I have generally found Alamo to be the cheapest in Fla. but then I also haven't rented in Fla for several years.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.