Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car rentals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car rentals

I have rented from Enterprise twice this week.  Old Bessie has electrical problems. 

My CLI hadn't come at a better time!  First rental upgraded me to $21/day for a 2016 Mustang, now I'm in a 2015 Nissan. My first Nissan to drive.  Signed up for Enterprise plus bc why not at this point.  I have pics of both bc I do love cars so.  

Side note, Costco travel has a decent discount.

It is great having a credit card to rent a card, faster check out and no holds on your checking account. 

I need to to pay down my auto loan faster, prepare for a new auto loan, and research the best cards for points and/or insurance on car rentals.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Car rentals

Before last September, I only had prepaid debit cards, what a fuss it was to rent a car with those! Once I had a real credit card, what a sigh of relief!

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just checking under USAA and I went to 'benefits of membership' and I saw a couple things you might be interested in:

Car rental savings Up to 25% discount with Avis, Hertz or Budget and discounts on everyday low rates with Enterprise plus additional benefits and savingsSee note 18

YesYesYes

USAA Car Buying Service Member-only discounts on new and used vehicles

You might already know about them.  Ignore the green checkmarks out there, just sloppy copy and paste on my part. 

I saw some things I forgot about on there too, I'm going to reread the benefits for myself.

HTH

Message 3 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I remember well the days of having to call around to see which rental car offices would accept my debit card instead of a credit card...

it was quite cumbersome since it literally varied from location to location even with the same company.  Landing at an airport and wondering if the information provided over the phone was accurate (that my card would be accepted) wasn't fun at all. 

Thankfully better times have arrived... it's too bad I seldom travel to take advantage of it! 

Message 4 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I witnessed that recently at PHL. We were at hertz, guy tried to use his debit card, and they basically laughed him out of the rental office.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

I remember well the days of having to call around to see which rental car offices would accept my debit card instead of a credit card...

it was quite cumbersome since it literally varied from location to location even with the same company.  Landing at an airport and wondering if the information provided over the phone was accurate (that my card would be accepted) wasn't fun at all. 

Thankfully better times have arrived... it's too bad I seldom travel to take advantage of it! 

I had to travel about 2200 miles round trip with my DW for a funeral in early 2013 and only had small limit CCs with 300 and 250 limits.  I went thru Hertz and got a really good price using a discount code, but I had to use my debit card to rent it.

The rental was about 700 and I had about 825 in the account.  It was rejected and the agent said I had to have about 400 extra in the account so they could have 'security' as well as the rental.  He said it wouldnt be charged until I returned the car, but I had to make sure the funds were available anytime they decided to check.   He also said they could only try twice in 24 hours per applicant so this one had to work. 

The second try worked and I got the car, but I had to spend the entire week making sure I always had more than 1100 available at all times.  It was pretty nerve wracking.  I turned the car in one day earlier and it only cost me about 585 so it was a good deal.

Now I have several CCs that will cover a 1k car rental easily but hopefully, wiont need it again.

Message 6 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I remember well the days of having to call around to see which rental car offices would accept my debit card instead of a credit card... it was quite cumbersome since it literally varied from location to location even with the same company.  Landing at an airport and wondering if the information provided over the phone was accurate (that my card would be accepted) wasn't fun at all. 

I had to travel about 2200 miles round trip with my DW for a funeral in early 2013 and only had small limit CCs with 300 and 250 limits.  I went thru Hertz and got a really good price using a discount code, but I had to use my debit card to rent it.

The rental was about 700 and I had about 825 in the account.  It was rejected and the agent said I had to have about 400 extra in the account so they could have 'security' as well as the rental.  He said it wouldnt be charged until I returned the car, but I had to make sure the funds were available anytime they decided to check.   He also said they could only try twice in 24 hours per applicant so this one had to work. 

The second try worked and I got the car, but I had to spend the entire week making sure I always had more than 1100 available at all times.  It was pretty nerve wracking.  I turned the car in one day earlier and it only cost me about 585 so it was a good deal.

Now I have several CCs that will cover a 1k car rental easily but hopefully, wiont need it again.

I hear ya... I refer to those times as "the good old days".  Smiley Frustrated

There's nothing like being on a flight, and instead of enjoying the view, sweating blood the whole time over if you're going to be able to get a car to even leave the airport when you land.

Like you, that wouldn't be a second thought now, but for folks living on debit it's very real.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.