Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards that look different than their official photos

tag
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

Cards that look different than their official photos

My Discover it Miles card looks different than every photo of it I can see in Google Images. The orange "O" sun isn't orange. Instead, all the lettering is a highly reflective silver with rainbow effects. The dark blue background also has a very subtle iridescent sheen when it catches the light. But even bloggers' own real-life photos of their cards angled in the light show that their cards don't have this silver foil lettering, they have have plain white text with an orange sun. I got my Miles card in December.

I searched Google Images for the Chase Freedom Unlimited, and one blogger's photo shows the whole card has a strong prismatic effect that isn't visible in Chase's official image. Likewise, the Chase Freedom seems to have the same silvery rainbow foil lettering that my Discover card has.

And my Citi Double Cash has lots of different finishes: A standard flat finish for the green bottom half, a standard gloss for the blue top, blue and green foil for the stripes across the middle, silver foil for the main arc on the top, and a matte finish (different from the flat finish) for all the blue arcs. It's so complex, Citi seems to have trouble getting it all cut properly, because I had to carefully peel off extra leftover plastic when it arrived.

Do any other cards look different in person than their online photos?
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
robbulous
Regular Contributor

Re: Cards that look different than their official photos

Chase Sapphire Preferred doesn't look anywhere near as good in person as in the photos.

NPSL.................$30,000............$28,000.............$20,500............$28,000............$80,000............$19,000............$21,300..............$20,500
Current FICO Score Across All 3: 770+..... GOAL: 800+ Current Utilization: 5%....... Infiniti Financial Auto Loan at 1.9%
Message 2 of 17
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

Really? How so? Is that just because the sapphire cuts are printed when people are expecting actual angled surfaces, or is there something else about it?

Edit: Looking at user photos, some make the CSP look rather dark, without the bright, vivid blue contrasts that you see in the official photos. Other photos make it look brighter, but still not high-contrast.

Message 3 of 17
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Cash+ looks a lot more shiny in-person than in pics.  The bright parts have a metallic finish to them.   It's a really nice looking card in person!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 17
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I think the CSP looks better in person..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the Marriott looks better in person.
Discover is ugly imo.
Message 6 of 17
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

What about the Amex Gold and Platinum cards? Some photos make them look extremely glittery, others show just a flat gloss shine to them. Are they very glittery?

Message 7 of 17
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

CSP is darker in person, BofA cash rewards has a nice metallic finish that you don't see in pics, the United Club has a very grey color that you don't see on Chase's website, The Amex Platinum has a sparkly finish that is not shown online.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 8 of 17
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@pdxmike wrote:

What about the Amex Gold and Platinum cards? Some photos make them look extremely glittery, others show just a flat gloss shine to them. Are they very glittery?

The Platinum is VERY glittery.IMG_0730.JPG

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm disappointed that the BCE/BCP isn't fully see through.

The frosted upper area really ruins the moment.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.