Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier IQ and your personal information including credit card info

tag
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

Carrier IQ and your personal information including credit card info

I just found out a potential leak for personal data that I think you should all be aware of.  There is apparently a spyware that carriers asked phone manufacturers installed on your phones that can track your every stroke and every information available on your phone.  Looking at their website, this spyware/keylogger is installed on more than 141 million devices.  I still don't know whether this is the culprit but this is the only one that makes sense of my situation that I reported on this forum.  My cell phone is the last place that I expected a spyware.  Even though I installed Lookout on my current android device, it doesn't help if this is a official spyware supported by your cell phone company!!!

http://www.carrieriq.com/

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/privacy/232300583

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/17/att-sprint-carrier-iq-customers-agreed_n_1155040.html

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Credit-card-fraud-need-recommendations-on-what-to-do/td...

American Express SPG, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover More, Penfed Platinum Rewards, Kohls
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DarkScythe
Valued Member

Re: Carrier IQ and your personal information including credit card info

This is not really spyware; It's just been blown up by the media, and panicky consumers.

I won't say I support such things, but it's hardly the massive security leak everyone's making it out to be.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=23483

There are very specific circumstances that will trigger this event, and it's only on HTC devices.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cant speak for other carriers, but the latest Sprint update to Android removes CIQ. There are also ROMS you can flash that it has been taken out, as well as zips to remove it from your phone. And CIQ IS a big deal and you should be concerned. Even Al Franken has commented on it here: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/al-frankens-pursuit-of-carrier-iq

“I appreciate the responses I received, but I’m still very troubled by what’s going on,” said Sen. Franken. “People have a fundamental right to control their private information. After reading the companies’ responses, I’m still concerned that this right is not being respected. The average user of any device equipped with Carrier IQ software has no way of knowing that this software is running, what information it is getting, and who it is giving it to—and that’s a problem.

If you'd like to read more about CIQ, I recommend this thread and the links therein: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1247108

Message 3 of 8
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

I understand what they say online but the circumstances in my case caused me to be really paranoid.

All the security measures that I took on my laptop and passwords/email led me to actually believe that my leak is the phone and this thing being there make me really uncomfortable to say the least as my citicard, 2 amex cards, paypal, and ebay accounts to be compromised.  The phone is actually the last place that I thought was the culprit but I just can't make sense of it otherwise...

American Express SPG, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover More, Penfed Platinum Rewards, Kohls
Message 4 of 8
DarkScythe
Valued Member

Senators are by no means tech experts, either.

While I agree with the general consensus of "leave me and my data alone" it seems to me the public hysteria around Carrier IQ is targeting the wrong entity.

According to the various links, there are certain information that can be captured and sent maliciously under certain circumstances. Otherwise this information I imagine was originally intended for the carriers.

I like Dailytech's analogy to the IT setting - At work, the IT department (most that I know of, anyway) is able to access users' machines and record usage information, usually to prevent abuse. In a similar vein, the carriers should be able to gather some information about the users of its network infrastructure in order to better manage it. However, this does come back to the fact that we're at the mercy of the carrier's intentions here, just as some guy in IT could screw you over.

I think the outrage should be directed more at this practice of monitoring, rather than specifically at Carrier IQ, who's basically become the scapegoat here. Remove CIQ, and the carriers will find a new way to monitor you.

To the OP: Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation, I'm not entirely sure how all your financial accounts could be compromised.

From what I've read, the software can only capture keystrokes from within the phone dialer (when you make a phone call.. I don't see anything that affects the keyboards.) Furthermore it can disclose URL's, including any usernames and passwords within it, but all of those sites don't include that information in the URL string, I don't believe.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 6 of 8
DarkScythe
Valued Member

All that says is that the FBI has some type of document relating to CIQ, nothing more.

There are no specifics, and

What is still unclear is whether the FBI used Carrier IQ's software in its own investigations, whether it is currently investigating Carrier IQ, or whether it is some combination of both [...]

All this is still pure speculation.

As I have said again: Do I agree with all of this? No. Do I really trust the government? No, not really. Is everyone panicking over the wrong thing and jumping to conclusions? I believe so.

The carriers and government have many ways of keeping tabs on us. We should be outraged over that instead of letting them hook everyone onto the scapegoat that is CIQ simply because someone caught what they were doing (albeit with good intentions) and HTC messing it up.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DarkScythe wrote:

All that says is that the FBI has some type of document relating to CIQ, nothing more.

There are no specifics, and

What is still unclear is whether the FBI used Carrier IQ's software in its own investigations, whether it is currently investigating Carrier IQ, or whether it is some combination of both [...]

All this is still pure speculation.

As I have said again: Do I agree with all of this? No. Do I really trust the government? No, not really. Is everyone panicking over the wrong thing and jumping to conclusions? I believe so.

The carriers and government have many ways of keeping tabs on us. We should be outraged over that instead of letting them hook everyone onto the scapegoat that is CIQ simply because someone caught what they were doing (albeit with good intentions) and HTC messing it up.

So you both think people are panicking over the wrong thing, yet you think we should be outraged?

Look. It's not so much a matter the government IS tracking and spying on us (we dont know how much or in what regards IRT CIQ), its that this is another tool that ALLOWS them too. Government has shown if they have the power to do so, they will. THAT is why people are panicking. Rightfully so.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.