Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash only?

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Cash only?

Was spending time with a friend yesterday and the local news had a blurb about retailers not accepting cc's for anything under $10 or $20.

My friend flipped and said he could NOT live that way!!!  He can't do the whole cash thing!  He uses his debit card and feels that is good enough. 

Um, does anyone remember when we only paid cash?  Or when the debit cards came out in the late 80's/early 90's that could be used for paying for gas and such?  And they charged you, the consumer, a fee to use the debit card??

So, on a whim, I am going to try paying cash for anything and everything that is under $10.  (Love the cc for the points!)

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Cash only?

I remember when cash was king  Smiley Very Happy

I must admit, it would be difficult for me to go back to cash only - I am so used to debit and credit cards that I regularly go weeks with no cash in my wallet1

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 47
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@MidnightVoice wrote:

I remember when cash was king  Smiley Very Happy

I must admit, it would be difficult for me to go back to cash only - I am so used to debit and credit cards that I regularly go weeks with no cash in my wallet1

Me too but I figure that's because of my wife and 2 sons.   Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 3 of 47
laz98
Senior Contributor

we don't carry cash at all.  ever.

Message 4 of 47
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I am 68 yrs old and have used cash my whole life.  I still use cash about 98% of the time.  About the only time I use my debit card is to get gas for my truck, ( I refuse to go to the office twice to complete the transaction ),  and when I go to the market.  The only time I use a credit card is when I make a large purchase.  It has always been normal for me to carry around a few hundred dollars in my pocket to pay cash for whatever I want.  It's all in what you get use to in life.  Personally, I have always preferred to pay cash and be done with it. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 5 of 47
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

I love cash. I mean carrying it around in my wallet - If i have $100, I feel rich!! lol.

As a matter of fact, I was thinking about this the other day - my step father used to carry around what he referred to as WAM - walking around money. Would never  leave the house without 5K on him. I like the idea in a way if I get into trouble of having a wad of cash on me to possibly "buy my way out" of a situation. But I don't encounter those situations too much! lol

Hardly ever have cash on me - sometimes just enough cash to make it to the shore and back b/c I don't have ez pass...live on debit and cc.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 47
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Even though I have a bank account, checks and a debit card, I pay everything in cash.  Each payday I withdraw what I need and pay my bills.

Message 7 of 47
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I remember the pre-ATM days, when you'd go to Kroger, buy a 6-pack, and write a check for $20 over.

I didn't have a CC until I was in my upper 40's. Made up for lost time, though. Smiley Wink I use plastic for everything and pay it off monthly. Cash is an excessively liquid aspect in my life. It just flows right on out of my wallet until it's gone. I'm much better with plastic.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 47
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I remember drive-in banks in the Midwest. They may still be there.

Our first card was a travel reward Visa with United, part of the Star Alliance. We have taken so many international trips on mileage points I have lost track. One trip was the US, Auckland, Perth, Melbourne, Tasmania, Sydney, and back home to the US.

We have later gotten two cards to cover another two major American airlines, members of each of the other two alliances.

Cash was never quite that entertaining Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 47
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I talked to DH about my  post and asking if he wanted to try paying cash (the REAL thing) for everything $10 and under.    His instant reaction was, "But we pay off the cc every month in full!  We don't need to pay cash!  We basically do."

Smiley Very Happy

A bit of a knee-jerk reaction, DH??

We talked about it and decided to try it.  Cash only for all purchases $10 and under.  Lol - he said we' seldom have to pay cash.  Then I pointed out to him that on the few occasions we eat out, the bill is usually under $10.  Oh.  

So we challenge ourselves!  All spare change will go into the hungry piggy bank.  Smiley Happy  

Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.