Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat Introduction

tag
jayman2143
Valued Member

Cat Introduction

Hey everyone! This may be a weird question to ask but I was wondering if anyone has any past experiences with introducing two cats to each other? My girlfriend and I just recently moved into a new apartment and we brought each of our cats with us. Her cat has experience living with another cat but my cat has always been alone (she is 2 years old now). We followed the general guidelines on introducing the two: Kept them separated and out of site for a week or so, did some site swapping so they could get used to each others scent, fed them together on opposite sides of the bedroom door. We eventually moved on to allowing them to see each other through a baby gate (we had to stack 2 on top of each other because cats can jump just about as high as they want to). They were timid but okay. After about another week we allowed them to roam around the same room together with our supervision. They don't fight but my cat continously growls, meows, and hisses at her cat. No fights have broken out but my cat has swiped at her cat a few times and is always walking around timidly. Her cat also likes to play and sneak up on her which results in a low howl from my cat (which is terrifying to hear). 

We still have to keep them separated most of the time as we do not want either of them to get hurt or become permanetly afraid. Any kind of information or advise would be greatly appreciated as our new apartment experience is really being dampened by this. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Cat Introduction

Well, bottom line, cats are animals with insticts about how to deal with other animals and particularly other cats. Unfortunately they aren't kids who you can talk to and reason with, so if both cats have a level of assertiveness, if each cat has been Top Cat in their respective home for a long time, it's going to be difficult to get them to accept another cat.

Have you tried using one of those water spray bottles to irritate them when they start growling and talking at each other? Something to get them to break it up? It might help, but if they are left alone, they may just revert to settling who is boss between them.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 4
gibeon
Established Contributor

It sounds like you've done everything as right as possible so far.

I would recommend a "time out" for her cat when he/she gets "pouncy" on your cat. She should put him/her in a closed room for 10 minutes or so. It's a nice mild punishment that says "chill out for now" rather than "stop being a cat."

You may want to try getting new toys and/or fleece blankets for them. Cats totally love fleece blankets. It calms them right down. As for toys, I can't recommend the "Cat Dancer" enough. It's basically $2 of wire and cardboard, and I've never seen a cat that woudn't drop everything to chase (or at least watch) it. http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Dancer-101-Interactive-Toy/dp/B0006N9I68/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452401190...

Also, have you tried leaving them in a room together and just listening? They can do a LOT of posturing when they think their people are watching but turn out to be totally fine when they think they are alone. 

Finally, they may just never be best friends. I had one cat that recently passed, and for 20 years she just never really did like anyone but me, and she would only just mostly tolerate the other cat she grew up with and lived with for 17 years (until that one passed). Some cats just don't want to be bothered.

They'll probably find some level of truce in the next few months or so. Don't give up!

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 3 of 4
jayman2143
Valued Member

Thank you for the responses! Sometimes I wish the cats would just understand me when I tell them that they have to get along or at least tolerate each other! Which is our goal at this point in time, tolerance. They don't have to be best friends but just knowing this is how it is going to be and to "deal with it". 

We have played with them many times while they are in sight of each other to associate good things when they see each other. We also bought the Comfortzone Feliway diffusers and have one in the main living space and bedroom. Hopefully these will calm both cats a bit. 

A suggestion a friend gave us was to use a big dog crate in a room where we can lock them both in. 1 cat goes in the crate while the other can roam in the room free. Then the next day switch them. They called it forced introduction without worrying about either cat being harmed. 

Who would have thought introducing two cats would be so stressful! 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.