Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase ink vs AARP

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase ink vs AARP

My restaurant spends have become very specific, and for the most part are heavily discounted.

• CitiEasyDeals (yes, I have a DP) - and I have a ton of points despite the fact I no longer use that card much - and they actually have pretty good local deals; usually 25-50% off your bills up to a certain amount (buy one entre, get one free, for example), matched dollar for dollar with your points. That actually makes the Diamond Preferred return a full 10%. It just... it takes so dang long to spend all those points and of course you have to pay part of the bill at the restaurant.
  • Restaurant.com - I have a ton of certificates from years ago, and only now starting to use them. That's all up to 50% off my restaurant spend since I'm not buying the certificates now.
  • Groupon - 40-50% off on pretty good restaurants.
  • Costco - One of my favorite restaurants is PF Chang's and Costco usually has PF Chang's gift cards at a 20% discount ($79.99 for $100 GCs), sometimes even 25%. Costco also has gift cards for some other restaurants.

Credit card-wise, I am using the Citi Double Cash more and more, and whenever I need to give the Chase Amazon Visa a little use (it has 2% on dining) - but all that is really just gravy on top of the other discounts I mentioned.

Message 21 of 33
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@I hope you aren't serious @Anonymous - there are tons of businesses that only operate through eBay. It is not hard at all.

Oh, I hope I can get one Smiley Happy . I just sometimes sell several items on ebay. Is it considerred a business? Do I need to provide any documents to prove the business when applying?

Yeah, you have to verify you have a business through a business license/ resellers permit/ or ein verification letter. 

two things:

1) verify you actually have a business

2) verify business address

You may have to provide that information and should be prepared to answer questions if questioned but none of those are a requirement to get a business card thru Chase, Amex or Citi.  Quite a few people are able to get one thru being a sole proprietorship.  Shouldnt assume that what you had to do is true in all cases.  I didnt have to provide one bit of info other than whats on the application to get any of my business cards.

I had no trouble getting an Ink Cash. I have a small (~$20K net a year) sideline sole proprietorship.

In dealing with Chase, the business underwriting is totally separate from the retail card underwriting

and has totally different underwriting criteria. I don't think Chase business card division even talks with

the retail side. I actually found the business CSR's a lot more knowledgeable and easy to deal with

than the retail people.

When I did my little call-in follow up to my Ink app (was not instant), what appeared to move the app through

was just knowing a few buzzwords. I'd be curious to know if business cards get instant approvals on-line very

often.I was fully prepared to 4506T for the card, but just discussing my Schedule C was enough for the CSR

to approve. They didn't want any documents at all and haven't since. Drop a few buzzwords like "Schedule C"

and "net-net" and likely the CSR will push the approve button.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I don't run any business, is there any way to get a business card?

Message 23 of 33
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I don't run any business, is there any way to get a business card?

Business can be a side business as well, so it doesn't have to be an organized company with employees. That being said if you are applying for a card and you don't have any sort of business then you would be committing fraud. It is really simple when you fill out the application you just ask yourself "Have I lied about anything in this application" if the answer is yes then you shouldn't be applying for the business card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Being a business is a very stretchable term. If you sell items on ebay (even if used books) you can treat it as a business etc.

Sorry i thought being an AARP card it had age restrictions.

I think it's hard to prove selling on ebay is  truly a business and a business card is neccessary.

Really? I've done over $1.8 million in revenue on eBay. By any standard, that's a business.

Message 25 of 33
redpat
Senior Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@redpat wrote:

The gift card thing is such a Ham & Egger move.  

I wish they would shut everyone down that uses it......IMO of course......Don't want to offend anyone, lol.

We're not talking about cash equivalent gift cards though (e.g Visa GCs) - we're talking about restaurant specific ones. Some places even prefer you to use their reloadable gift card rather than cash - Starbucks comes to mind - they even reward you for registering and using it.

Gift cards are not meant to be 5x spend at Staples with your ink.  Anyway way you cut it, it's abusive.  Just because it's not a visa gc doesn't make it right.  

I love people trying to justify abuse.  Then go to Starbucks and buy a gift card not Staples.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 26 of 33
red259
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@redpat wrote:

The gift card thing is such a Ham & Egger move.  

I wish they would shut everyone down that uses it......IMO of course......Don't want to offend anyone, lol.

We're not talking about cash equivalent gift cards though (e.g Visa GCs) - we're talking about restaurant specific ones. Some places even prefer you to use their reloadable gift card rather than cash - Starbucks comes to mind - they even reward you for registering and using it.

Gift cards are not meant to be 5x spend at Staples with your ink.  Anyway way you cut it, it's abusive.  Just because it's not a visa gc doesn't make it right.  

I love people trying to justify abuse.  Then go to Starbucks and buy a gift card not Staples.

I don't think it is for you to judge people and decide what is or is not abusive. If Chase has an issue with people buying restaurant giftcards they will handle it. It is not a form of MS if that is what you are trying to imply. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 27 of 33
myjourney
Super Contributor

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

Are those eyes kind of like when your mom's mouth gets a bit tight around the ages and you know you have 2 seconds to get your stuff together or run? 

Message 29 of 33
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Are those eyes kind of like when your mom's mouth gets a bit tight around the ages and you know you have 2 seconds to get your stuff together or run? 

Exactly Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.