cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap A** or to be expected?

Senior Contributor

Cheap A** or to be expected?

Attended the wedding of an old friend this past weekend.  Loads of fun and the booze was flowing.  I stopped on the way to grab a $20 to tip to bartender for our drinks. 

 

My brother-in-law REFUSED to tip...at all...and he drank probably $50 worth of booze.  That's just CHEAP! 

 

What's your take?  The girls had a tip jar out and it is usually agreed by the bride/groom to allow tipping. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES
Epic Contributor

Re: Cheap A** or to be expected?

I certainly wouldn't tip $20 for $50 worth of booze but I would tip something.

Message 2 of 15
Valued Contributor

Re: Cheap A** or to be expected?


fishbjc wrote:

Attended the wedding of an old friend this past weekend.  Loads of fun and the booze was flowing.  I stopped on the way to grab a $20 to tip to bartender for our drinks. 

 

My brother-in-law REFUSED to tip...at all...and he drank probably $50 worth of booze.  That's just CHEAP! 

 

What's your take?  The girls had a tip jar out and it is usually agreed by the bride/groom to allow tipping. 


Cheap.  I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago, and the booze was free.  I noticed not everyone was tipping so I made it a point to tip extra.  As a former bartender I can guarantee they considered your binlaw a deebag.  If you can't afford to tip, do your drinking at home.

3-26-15: FICO EXP: 828 - EQU:820 - TRAN: 828 - AVG: 825 +275 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

Message 3 of 15
Super Contributor

Re: Cheap A** or to be expected?

Yeah that's cheap Smiley Tongue 

 

I mean, I haven't been to any weddings, but when I go to the bar (especially ones I frequent all the time) the bartenders can expect anywhere from 20-50% in a tip, depending on how much my tab was. 

Message 4 of 15
Valued Contributor

Re: Cheap A** or to be expected?


jsucool76 wrote:

Yeah that's cheap Smiley Tongue 

 

I mean, I haven't been to any weddings, but when I go to the bar (especially ones I frequent all the time) the bartenders can expect anywhere from 20-50% in a tip, depending on how much my tab was. 


If you wanna be a baller, start by tipping the help, right?

3-26-15: FICO EXP: 828 - EQU:820 - TRAN: 828 - AVG: 825 +275 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

Message 5 of 15
Super Contributor

Re: Cheap A** or to be expected?


p- wrote:

jsucool76 wrote:

Yeah that's cheap Smiley Tongue 

 

I mean, I haven't been to any weddings, but when I go to the bar (especially ones I frequent all the time) the bartenders can expect anywhere from 20-50% in a tip, depending on how much my tab was. 


If you wanna be a baller, start by tipping the help, right?


That's the way I feel. There's this mexican restaurant here in town that I go to all the time with friends for drinks (great bartenders, REALLY cheap prices) and when servers get cut or get off work, I'll always offer to buy them drinks. Guess what? A lot of times, things I order magically don't end up on my tab when I go to pay it. 

 

Always tip your servers, never know what they'll do next time if you dont Smiley Tongue 

Message 6 of 15
Super Contributor

Re: Cheap A** or to be expected?


jsucool76 wrote:

p- wrote:

jsucool76 wrote:

Yeah that's cheap Smiley Tongue 

 

I mean, I haven't been to any weddings, but when I go to the bar (especially ones I frequent all the time) the bartenders can expect anywhere from 20-50% in a tip, depending on how much my tab was. 


If you wanna be a baller, start by tipping the help, right?


That's the way I feel. There's this mexican restaurant here in town that I go to all the time with friends for drinks (great bartenders, REALLY cheap prices) and when servers get cut or get off work, I'll always offer to buy them drinks. Guess what? A lot of times, things I order magically don't end up on my tab when I go to pay it. 

 

Always tip your servers, never know what they'll do next time if you dont Smiley Tongue 


LOL I agree.

Never argue with your server. It's always a bad idea regardless of where you're dining at.  They might just add some secret sauce or additional processing to your food.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 15
Valued Contributor

Re: Cheap A** or to be expected?

As some of the longtime members of this community know, I go to casinos...a lot.  I get comped for just about anything I want.

 

When dining, even though the check is paid for (as in zero from me), I always tip to the value I've received.  Just because the meals/drinks are free doesn't mean the wait staff or barperson works for free.

 

I agree with a previous poster.  If you cannot afford to tip, stay home.

 

fishbjc, your brother-in-law is either a cheap ba**ard or he doesn't know any better.  Sometimes, the latter is the case.  Educate him, embarrass him if necessary to prove your point, and if he doesn't flinch then, you'll know for sure whether he's cheap or not.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Message 8 of 15
Epic Contributor

Re: Cheap A** or to be expected?

Some people just refuse to tip, period.

 

I do tip for what I feel the service was worth, not just the cost of the food.   I am not cheap but at the same time, what if the service was horrible? 

Message 9 of 15
Valued Contributor

Re: Cheap A** or to be expected?


guiness56 wrote:...what if the service was horrible? 

I don't pay for what I don't receive...  and I consider a tip paying for service.  The bill is for the food, intfrastructure, and basic food delivery.  Having worked in food/bar service, I expect much more than a drop off of what I've ordered.  If that's all I get, I probably wouldn't tip.  

I've had service that bad once or twice, but left before ordering so obviously tipping didn't happen.

3-26-15: FICO EXP: 828 - EQU:820 - TRAN: 828 - AVG: 825 +275 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

Message 10 of 15