Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap wireless

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheap wireless

My situation: we have two unlocked phones and two T-Mobile Pay as you go accounts. It is around $55/year for me and about $55/2-3 month for my wife. I'm on wifi about 90% of my time and wife is about 60%. My wife defenetly need unlimited talk or desent amount of minutes per month. We both would like to have some data, even 2G will be fine for whatsup. 

Recently we purchased two ATT phones (iphone 6S and Samsung S6 edge+). Phones are paid off already and going to be unlocked soon. ATT plans are just ridicules for us. Cheapest is $55/month (with tax) for unlimited talk/text and 0.3Gb of data. So, we are going to cancel it.

Will unlocked ATT phones will work on Sprint MVNOs?

Do anyone use cheap MVNOs?

Any recommendation?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cheap wireless

It depends the band of the phone and the carrier.  If the phone was on ATT, that's a gsm carrier so its a gsm phone, you need to go to another gsm carrier or reseller that uses gsm network.  There are a ton of them.  I have a company phone but if I was to buy my own I would get either a smart talk prepaid plan or us cellular or pageplus.  There are a ton though, I have heard good things about metro pcs but they aren't availible in my area.  Good luck, hard to be more specific without knowing what carrier you are looking at.  Pageplus has unlmimted talk, text, and data for $40.  Only 1.5gb is 4g speed but its still a great deal.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 3 of 8
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

FWIW:

Verizon and Sprint are on CDMA networks

AT&T and T-Mobile are on GSM networks

While major cell phone makers such as Apple or Samgung or LG et all make units that operate on both networks, a GSM "defined" unit for say AT&T will NOT work on a CDMA network such as Verizon. 

So as long as you have GSM phones (T-Mobile) you can use other GSM carriers such as AT&T or their sub-carriers such as Cricket.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends the band of the phone and the carrier.  If the phone was on ATT, that's a gsm carrier so its a gsm phone, you need to go to another gsm carrier or reseller that uses gsm network.  There are a ton of them.  I have a company phone but if I was to buy my own I would get either a smart talk prepaid plan or us cellular or pageplus.  There are a ton though, I have heard good things about metro pcs but they aren't availible in my area.  Good luck, hard to be more specific without knowing what carrier you are looking at.  Pageplus has unlmimted talk, text, and data for $40.  Only 1.5gb is 4g speed but its still a great deal.

AT&T gophone has unlimited talk, text, and data (2Gb LTE, 128kb after) for $40 (with auto refill). Pageplus have 64kb after per wikipedia.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your choice (US Mobile) seems like the cheapest way to go.

Ting - Has a similar payment structure to US Mobile, but US Mobile seems like a better deal (GSM)

Pure Talk Usa - More for people who barely use the phone (GSM)

Virgin Mobile - Unlimited Text, Talk, and Data for $30 a month. It's $35 a month but you get $5 off every month for setting up auto-pay. (Think this might be CDMA)

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Your choice (US Mobile) seems like the cheapest way to go.

Ting - Has a similar payment structure to US Mobile, but US Mobile seems like a better deal (GSM)

Pure Talk Usa - More for people who barely use the phone (GSM)

Virgin Mobile - Unlimited Text, Talk, and Data for $30 a month. It's $35 a month but you get $5 off every month for setting up auto-pay. (Think this might be CDMA)

Thank you

Message 7 of 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

My brother and his son are on MetroPCS.  The bill is $71 a month for both smart phones, unlimited talk, text, and data.

I have Consumer Cellular. The bill is $40 a month for both smart phones, 1500 minutes, 3G of data, 300 texts.  (or something like that.)  No contract, so I change the plan as I need to, based on use.  Like next month, I am dropping down to 700 minutes or so (whatever it is) and it will decrease my phone bill.

I am on wifi as much as possible.  I keep the data becuase some people just send text messages and aren't using iPhones.  Hardly ever use any data (becuase of wifi) but it's tied to the texts.

Both MetroPCS and Consumer Cellular work well in the same areas.  I just prefer the cheaper monthly bill for two phones and my brother has a teenage son, so he needs unlimited everything.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.