Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking Account Scam-New victim

tag
mdstar1
Established Member

Checking Account Scam-New victim

I've just been a victim of an interesting checking account scam.  A mysterious $ 4.76 was taken from my account yesterday.  The company listed on the charge is located in FL and the phone number is listed as 305-432-2358.  A quick google of this number led me to others who have been scammed in amounts from $3-7 dollars.

Thank goodness for online banking and online forums.  Crooks are becoming smarter, but so are the consumers.  Beware!!!

I wonder how often this type of thing happens.  Talk about nickle and diming you...
EX 742
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Checking Account Scam-New victim

About 2 months ago, I had my debit card number stolen online.  I have been shopping online for 7 years now and this is the 1st time it happened.  My bank called me at work to verify some charges.  Of course, they weren't mine.  The lady at the bank gave me the info for all of the pending charges.  I called all the companies and said that it was fraudulent purchases.  Only about $35 was taken out of my account, but I got the money back thankfully.  Hope that was the 1st and last time.  Talk about a headache for about a week or so.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will use my "real" cards for online with places like myFICO, TC, etc.

However, for any shopping, I have a Western Union Pre-paid card. It charges very little to use it. I add money when I am going to make a purchase and use it.  Other than that, I leave enough of a balance to keep it open and pay the monthly fee, $5-$10.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a good idea Sidewinder.  I never thought about that before.
Message 4 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I had the same type of fraudulent charges on my checking account last Nov. I filed a police report and placed temp FAs on my credit reports. I was fortunate that only my debit card number was stolen, and my bank really stepped up to the plate.
Message 5 of 8
mdstar1
Established Member

My bank is sending me an affidavit and shutting down my check card.  I already feel so lost, I haven't stepped foot in a bank in months!  Now I will have to go INSIDE for deposits and withdraws.  I don't even know my account number-know the check card number by heart, though! Smiley Very Happy

Good thing all my bills are paid for this month.  I'll need to dig out and dust off my paper checks and stop at the post office for stamps...  This process is going to be a pain.
EX 742
Message 6 of 8
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I use Citi's virtual numbers or paypal's virtual numbers for on line shopping.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 7 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

The card I use has a very small limit, or I use paypal.  Hopefully, I'd *protected*.

I'd love to see a thief try to charge something on my card.  I'm sorry m'am,,,,you're over the limit with this package of gum.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.