Did you mean: 

Child Support Woes

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Child Support Woes

@Steelersfan904 wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

I wish I could say that this is over.  However, I am glad that I have this post because it gives me dates to refer back to.

Got her forms again - she's trying to restart.  However, she didn't send them certified mail.  Therefore, they must have gotten lost.  So when DHS restarts the new judgments, etc. AGAIN (4th time?  5th?) - we will object based on this.  That will put it off a while. 

Also, we never did get her transcripts from the college.   I dont think they even cashed the 5.00 check. 

Looks like the release she signed THIS TIME has the FERPA laws waived - That must have been the hang up.

HOW MANY MONTHS UNTIL NOVEMBER AGAIN?

ETA:  We didn't get the 3 months credit because I didn't have proof I sent the fax to them objecting.

Man that is ALOT of work. Geez, I feel your child support woes though I am fighting mine to hell. I have been trying for 5 years to get a modification and it keeps coming back closed because she won't send in her financial affadavit

What state are you in?  I think here if that happened, they would just go with whatever the other party said you made.  When we first moved DH was served w/ papers upping his support to almost 800 a month - that was based on what his EX said he made, and if he hadn't have appealed, then that just would have been what it was.

I am sure that there is a grievance or something you can do if you look into it.  She shouldn't be able to keep you in the holding for five years.  All the laws are online, get to work, man!   ah heck, I'll take on your case for you......she won't know what hit her.

And it is a TON of work.  Stepdaughter got lazy this time by not sending the forms certified.  We have 30 days to appeal once she restarts.  I'll wait 21 days to object...then she'll have no proof, then it will stop and I'm thinking it will have to backdate it (credit the account) to when the restart.  If the DIV was smart, they wouldn't even accept her documents without a certified mail receipt.  I talked to a neat guy today who promises he will end the support on the exact 30 day mark prior to the bday, he says he's never seen anything so ridiculous in all his years.

Good Luck!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 81 of 96
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Booner I completely understand your anger and frustration I really do. In my case I pay 400 something a month support for my oldest daughter. I catch grief from my fiancee now cause we have 2 toddlers both in diapers one still in baby formula + clothing cause they grow like weeds lol I pay more in support then to clothe and feed my 2 toddlers in my house now.  My point is that I pay 400 to my ex who I know really doesnt spend really any of it on our child and instead uses it to pay for her always new Iphone and always manages to get the latest honda accord out. Now if I fast forward the clock and my daughter is ACTUALLY getting the support I would feel way much better.  I really understand your frustration cause I listen to it from my fiancee. 

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 82 of 96
Steelersfan904
Regular Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

@Steelersfan904 wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

I wish I could say that this is over.  However, I am glad that I have this post because it gives me dates to refer back to.

Got her forms again - she's trying to restart.  However, she didn't send them certified mail.  Therefore, they must have gotten lost.  So when DHS restarts the new judgments, etc. AGAIN (4th time?  5th?) - we will object based on this.  That will put it off a while. 

Also, we never did get her transcripts from the college.   I dont think they even cashed the 5.00 check. 

Looks like the release she signed THIS TIME has the FERPA laws waived - That must have been the hang up.

HOW MANY MONTHS UNTIL NOVEMBER AGAIN?

ETA:  We didn't get the 3 months credit because I didn't have proof I sent the fax to them objecting.

Man that is ALOT of work. Geez, I feel your child support woes though I am fighting mine to hell. I have been trying for 5 years to get a modification and it keeps coming back closed because she won't send in her financial affadavit

What state are you in?  I think here if that happened, they would just go with whatever the other party said you made.  When we first moved DH was served w/ papers upping his support to almost 800 a month - that was based on what his EX said he made, and if he hadn't have appealed, then that just would have been what it was.

I am sure that there is a grievance or something you can do if you look into it.  She shouldn't be able to keep you in the holding for five years.  All the laws are online, get to work, man!   ah heck, I'll take on your case for you......she won't know what hit her.

And it is a TON of work.  Stepdaughter got lazy this time by not sending the forms certified.  We have 30 days to appeal once she restarts.  I'll wait 21 days to object...then she'll have no proof, then it will stop and I'm thinking it will have to backdate it (credit the account) to when the restart.  If the DIV was smart, they wouldn't even accept her documents without a certified mail receipt.  I talked to a neat guy today who promises he will end the support on the exact 30 day mark prior to the bday, he says he's never seen anything so ridiculous in all his years.

Good Luck!

Yah she has had me Mod Cut for awhile now. 900/month is absurd but I got a lawyer to finally look into it! I hope everything works out for you guys

Starting Score: 502 5/4/2012
Current Score: 640 08/03/2012
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 83 of 96
Booner72
Senior Contributor

thanks Root - Did you do a modification when you had the latest baby? If not, do so.

Good luck steelersfan!
Message 84 of 96
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Child Support Woes updated

For anyone out there who may care or has been following this story - we finally got her transcripts (Since trying to get her grades for a year).  She has a total of 21 credits after two full years.  Her gpa is 2.1.  She enrolls and then withdraws or fails.  She has not been in compliance AT ALL with what the Division of Child Support requires. 

Last august 2011 when we first appealed, she had 3 credit  total, one F, and two withdraws and one C.    They refused to investigate our objection at that time.  Had either the school or the Div of support done anything to support us.....  She really knew how to work it, and I don't think she ever thought we would get our hands on her grades.

This infuriates me.  DH on the other hand, is just depressed because she is failing college.  It is taking everything I have not to send her a nasty message. 

This SHOULD be the last time I have an update this disastrous mess. 

Message 85 of 96
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Her failing out has got to be hard for him to deal with. Hopefully, she pulls things together at some point.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 86 of 96
GregB
Valued Contributor

Sounds like it is time to go back to Family Court and demand a return of the money paid for each month that she was noncompliant.

Message 87 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have read through all of this and all I can think is WOW!  The family law pratices aretruly messed up.  I have 2 step-daughters that are 16 and 13 plus 3 kids of my own.  The SDs live in another state with their mom.  We pay almost $400 a month in CS to her.  She lives with her mom who works and has a 3rd child that they tried to get us to pay CS for because they were not divorced at the time.  He did the DNA test and proved he wasn't the father.  He gets a letter every few years saying they are going to increase the CS to almost $700 a month based on his income.  We have to go through all the paperwork to keep it the same.  He had over $15000 in back supprt when he was first ordered to pay.  He didn't pay "child support" before that but he did pay for thier clothes, shoes and school supplies plus gave her money for food from time to time so they were taken care of.  She has no job and hasn't worked since she moved in with her mom.  DHS has investigated her 3 times and finds her to be "fit" everytime although one report sent to us indicated she was buying alcohol and cigarettes for the teenagers she was hanging out with (at the age of 30!).  They also found head lice on the kids. Well that one was no surprise because I had to treat them for lice EVERY summer and Christmas for 8 years straight because she was to lazy to do it.  

Ok so I rambled on a little. Hopefully you can get it all taken care of.  We are looking at paying for the youngest for probably 6 more years and the oldestw e still have to pay until she graduates High School. She will be 19 at the time.  If she goes to college we have to pay until she is 21.  We wanted to try for custody but we need better living situation first and that seems to be out of our reach for the time being.  

Best of luck to you.

Message 88 of 96
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Good Luck, gunmama....we have also called DHS down there.

There is no family court to go back to!  Never married.  In our state, you can just file for support and support is it's own division. No one saw a judge, ever.

But guess what, it started again retro to 7/24.  I KNOW!  A child support lady I talked to today told me I have been barking up the wrong tree, that we should have been going after the school.  See, Stepmonster had the registrar's office (Or she had someone in the registrar's office) Stamp their sig that she is currently enrolled and currently making passing grades - that was dated 7/13/12.  She hasn't been in school since the end of April.  So the school shouldn't have signed that form.   Classes don't begin until 8/24.  So they can't legally say she is passing until she has been in class long enough to get teacher prog notes.

I have an email in to the head registrar and the president of her school w/ a copy of the document, saying HEY....You are verifying false information and we have to pay for it.  If I can get a letter from the school saying they stamped that in error, the support will stop and backdate.  And the term in 2011 when she only had 3 credits (failed 2, dropped 1), and they verify she wasn't passing or 1/2 time during those 4 months, I'm hoping for a credit there, too.  I'm definitely raising a stink, titleing emails "____ State College Forged Documents"  etc. and sending the email to all high up names I can find (A trick I learned here rebuilding my credit).

It is interesting because the form doesn't have a date stamp or anything.  The stepmonster's writing is everywhere, including handwriting in the registrar's name, the only thing about it is that it has the stamp of the registrar's name in the signature line.  It isn't a certified document or anything.  I have a feeling I might get somewhere this time.

Child support also did not read their backnotes, and sent another medical support order to DH's employer, so today they had to send out a cancelation of that order bc I have her under my insurance!! What a waste of their time.  I also learned that Mr. Manager is in charge of our case. 

In my widlest fantasy, she gets busted for forging the form and we get all the support back, taken out of her mother's arrearage that we owe!  And this is definitely not out of the realm of possibility, but unlikely with our luck.  My biggest supporter at work told me today I fought a hard fight, but it's time to hang up the towel.  I told her no way.  We are fighting to the finish.

Message 89 of 96
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

Her failing out has got to be hard for him to deal with. Hopefully, she pulls things together at some point.

It's what I'm going for - but it's not through court, it's directly through the division of child support.

Message 90 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.