Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Support Woes

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Child Support Woes

Anyone who has read some of my posts knows I have deep resentment that DH has to pay child support to his 20 year old daughter who lives across the country and we don't even see.  She turned 18 and it stopped, but then 8 months later she was able to "restart" it by saying she was in college.  The deal is we get to know grades, class schedule, credits etc.  But the school in her state refuses to tell us anything even though she signed a Release of Info saying her dad could have that info.

We objected in August and 2 weeks later the division of child support mails us a letter that she is allowed to take normal breaks and support will continue.  They didn't even BOTHER to investigate her school status.

So in Dec. he called again to check her school status, and same thing, they wouldn't tell him anything.  This time, I'm about to file a grievance w/ the div. of child support, but the grievance form says to talk to a supervisor first.  So I do this last month.  She says "We don't even take objections in summer months bc school isn't open."

I say that school HAS started in Florida and it is up to DIV of CS to PROVE TO US SHE IS IN SCHOOL, expletive expletive.  So they send her the objection and she had 30 days to reply.  This was 12/9/11.  So 1/9/12 when we still haven't heard I'm starting to call the Division again saying WTH, suspend it already!  She said the daughter had until yesterday, that they will go through the mail and update the system to suspend, and I should be able to log on today and see that the status has been changed from Active to Suspend "If our system is working."  She also said, and I quote "I won't let this one fall through the cracks AGAIN."  She also says, "you know, if we get something over the weekend, we'll have to look into it."  Why are they bending over backassward for that daughter to send in her side of things?  The 30 day mark ended 1/9/12!!!!!!!!

So this morning I log on and guess what?  Still says ACTIVE.  I'm SURE that the daughter hasn't sent in the paperwork bc she has to send them a copy of the CMRRR receipt that she sent US the forms, which she hasn't.

So now I'm furious that they didn't suspend it yesterday for one, and am wondering if I should go ahead and file that grievance.  I want them to credit DH from September - January for the support he paid when our objection went completely ignored.  It's on THEM and HER to prove her school status and both failed.  Who knows what a grievance will even do but bring attention on our case, right?  he does owe arrears from years back when he was living w/ the mother until the daughter turned 3 years old, and then of course the mother files and child support backdates, and DH doesn't do a darn thing about it until I come into the picture years later and we do a modification and get the amt reduced almost 300 dollars.  Why do guys just let this crap go like that?????

I'm so furious right now!  HER state doesn't order support past 19, but of course OUR state does.  I wish we were in South Dakota who ruled that it is unconstitutional to force a parent to pay support to an ADULT.  Though New York can go past 23 so at least we aren't there.

I'm having a seriously hard time not letting this ruin my weekend! 

Thanks for reading.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 96
95 REPLIES 95
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Child Support Woes

Please don't take this the wrong way but: You knew this would be an issue when marrying him. Why let it upset you now? Carrying around resentment is never a good idea, IMO. Is it the money? Do you feel it takes attention away from you? Does she represent old drama with the Ex, in your mind? Is it a control thing? Etc... I recall you posting about this before and getting the new home under the radar before the Ex could find out and ask for more CS. I'm in New York. Things can be pretty brutal, LOL! There are other exceptions to the CS guidelines and even ways to break the cap.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 96
Booner72
Senior Contributor

It's because she is twenty years old and is holding us hostage. 

(thank you for responding!)

Edited to add:  My brother told me a few weeks ago that the Buddhists say 'would you rather be right, or happy?' ---- In this case, even though it's not good for me, I'm choosing being right!   

Message 3 of 96
IOBA
Senior Contributor

My suggestions would be 

* file the grievance with CS

* file a complaint with the BBB - CS has an obligation to provide proof that they have the right to collect.

* go to court and change the court order.   No one has provided proof of actively attending school.   And you want a limit on how long this game of going to school can be played/paid.  Suggest a limit of 8 semesters total?

Message 4 of 96
drkaje
Senior Contributor

The laws basically exist to make sure previous responsibilities are met before people move on when things end up going wrong. Also, with a degree she'll be more employable.... in theory, LOL! If in his shoes, I wouldn't make any budgetary plans for that money until there were no-longer any legal obligation to hand it over. "Right. or happy" are states of mind. Your brother has a twisted sense of humor. You knew, at least intellectually, that marriage wouldn't really affect certain areas of his life no matter what. You should probably choose happiness and be thankful she hasn't moved in, yet! Smiley Happy $300/month is a lot cheaper than having her move in. My kids are here this weekend. They've had me in the kitchen since the initial post. I love cooking so it's no big deal!!

Message 5 of 96
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

My suggestions would be 

* file a complaint with the BBB - CS has an obligation to provide proof that they have the right to collect.

* go to court and change the court order.   No one has provided proof of actively attending school.   And you want a limit on how long this game of going to school can be played/paid.  Suggest a limit of 8 semesters total?

Yes, I will do the grievance.  Not sure what I would BBB about though.  The same as the grievance?  The law in OR says that she can get "child" support until age 21, there is no negotiating how many semesters, etc.  It USED to be when this first started, that the "child" couldn't  turn it off and on - they went or they didn't.  Things changed, though.  Even if it does go into suspension. if she sends in the proof, they restart it.  So we're basically screwed until next December.

Regarding her moving in, that is never going to happen.  EVER.  My husband made that very clear to her when she first started this that he doesn't approve of it, she should have talked to him first, he would have helped her w/ college w/o the state being involved, and if she proceeded to continue it would be a cold day in hell before he would dole out any help to her again.  It is our opinion that she chose money over family, and for only 300 bucks!

Maybe I shoulda put this post in the "relationships and money" section.  This is certainly a topic for that section!

Message 6 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

@IOBA wrote:

My suggestions would be 

Yes, I will do the grievance.  Not sure what I would BBB about though.  The same as the grievance?  The law in OR says that she can get "child" support until age 21, there is no negotiating how many semesters, etc.  It USED to be when this first started, that the "child" couldn't  turn it off and on - they went or they didn't.  Things changed, though.  Even if it does go into suspension. if she sends in the proof, they restart it.  So we're basically screwed until next December.

Regarding her moving in, that is never going to happen.  EVER.  My husband made that very clear to her when she first started this that he doesn't approve of it, she should have talked to him first, he would have helped her w/ college w/o the state being involved, and if she proceeded to continue it would be a cold day in hell before he would dole out any help to her again.  It is our opinion that she chose money over family, and for only 300 bucks!

Maybe I shoulda put this post in the "relationships and money" section.  This is certainly a topic for that section!

Hi Booner!

Are you doubting that your step-daughter is in college? Given that this is "child support" and not the voluntary "parental merit scholarship", why are you attempting to see her grades, and obtain information from her school? Don't get me wrong, I understand that she should still be in college to be eligible for *child support*, but what's led you to believe that she ISN'T? And, presuming that she is still in school, isn't it just as possible that she runs into the same "run-around" that you get when you deal with the child support people? And, if/when she provides the proof to the CS verification people... then what? 

Here's what troubles me... On the one hand, it's yours and your DH's opinion that she chose money over family. On the other hand, isn't that what you're doing to by saying that her pursuit of child support (which she must have been deemed entitled to, and you even mentioned that DH owed back child support) would preclude you from ever "helping" her again? Does the money, doled out now, mean more than a natural parent/child relationship?

A 20 year old is, without a doubt, legally an adult. But, you'd be hard-pressed to find one who is (especially in this day and age, and especially if they're enrolled in the exceedingly expensive post-secondary educational rat race) completely, financially independent. I don't hold anyone else to my standards of when a child is expected to be out of the proverbial nest, and off the literal payroll (in very general terms, I consider that time to be sometime after 21 years of age, and very probably upwards 24 with the rising cost of a college education, and specialization). My point (I really do have one, LOL) is that, the issue of child support, whether it stays in your pocket, is freely given, or forcibly extracted should never, ever... EVER come between a parent and their child (minors or young adults). Speaking from a maternal POV, I'd find it very disturbing if my DH held a grudge against our child(ren) over financially supporting them when it is still common, reasonable, and acceptable for a parent to support their child. I just hope, for all of your sakes, that this doesn't taint what your DH & his daughter should have together. That'd be a loss that you'd be hard-pressed to quantify-- a tragedy really, that can't be measured in dollars & cents.

Message 7 of 96
drkaje
Senior Contributor

As a father, I'd be more worried about not seeing the kid than $300. Years ago, my cousin had a kid and was required to sue her parents for CS in order to qualify for certain benefits. Booner's our girl but "holding us hostage" sounds/reads a bit extreme (from her) there are likely other issues leading up to these bad feelings she hasn't shared.

Message 8 of 96
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

@IOBA wrote:

My suggestions would be 

Hi Booner!

Are you doubting that your step-daughter is in college? Given that this is "child support" and not the voluntary "parental merit scholarship", why are you attempting to see her grades, and obtain information from her school? Don't get me wrong, I understand that she should still be in college to be eligible for *child support*, but what's led you to believe that she ISN'T? And, presuming that she is still in school, isn't it just as possible that she runs into the same "run-around" that you get when you deal with the child support people? And, if/when she provides the proof to the CS verification people... then what?   Thank you for your words and thoughts. 

I have no single idea if she is still in college or not.  None of us do.  her mom literally stole her away in the middle of the night when she was in the 3rd grade taking her across the country.  We saw her regularly until some time ago we bought the ticket and then she decided she didn't want to come, to spend the summer w/ her friends.  So we were out the ticket and the visit, and of course her mom just laughed about it.  We SHOULD have gotten a visitation agreement years ago, but didn't. 

She's not getting any runaround.  All she has to do is fax in a few forms and they will reinstate it for her.  Like I said originally, the bend over backwards for the kids in this system.

Here's what troubles me... On the one hand, it's yours and your DH's opinion that she chose money over family. On the other hand, isn't that what you're doing to by saying that her pursuit of child support (which she must have been deemed entitled to, and you even mentioned that DH owed back child support) would preclude you from ever "helping" her again? Does the money, doled out now, mean more than a natural parent/child relationship?   Bc of the longstanding hellish fights w/ her mother over the years, I've backed out of  any relationship with both of them, though she blames me that her dad isn't speaking to her at the moment.  i know it sounds HORRIBLE, but he's been screwed so many times by his ex (And now he sees that his daughter is screwing him).  I have let them both know a million times that if they want a relationship, FINE.  If he wants to go there or her to come here FINE.  He has his very own phone and it's not like she has to go to me to talk to him (Which is how she sees it ).   As I said, he wanted to help her through college.  He would have sent her 300 or more a month.  But bc she went behind his back, so to speak, and forced it, he's pissed.  Are we really the only ones who see it this way? 

The back child support is from the inititial order - when the mom got the order, she of course lied and was able to get it backdated for 3 years at almost 500 a month.  DH was young and dumb and didn't fight that and now it's too late.  He lived with them during that time.  He put his ex through dental assistant school.  He and his family took care of that child.  He has NEVER MISSED A PAYMENT since I have been w/ him over 12 years.  I will also add that 1/2 the arrears (2K) goes to the state for her mom being on welfare.

I can tell you one thing.  I would never have done that to my dad.  EVER.  I moved out the day I graduated HS and the only help my dad has given is what he has chosen to do on his own terms.

A 20 year old is, without a doubt, legally an adult. But, you'd be hard-pressed to find one who is (especially in this day and age, and especially if they're enrolled in the exceedingly expensive post-secondary educational rat race) completely, financially independent. I don't hold anyone else to my standards of when a child is expected to be out of the proverbial nest, and off the literal payroll (in very general terms, I consider that time to be sometime after 21 years of age, and very probably upwards 24 with the rising cost of a college education, and specialization). My point (I really do have one, LOL) is that, the issue of child support, whether it stays in your pocket, is freely given, or forcibly extracted should never, ever... EVER come between a parent and their child (minors or young adults). Speaking from a maternal POV, I'd find it very disturbing if my DH held a grudge against our child(ren) over financially supporting them when it is still common, reasonable, and acceptable for a parent to support their child. I just hope, for all of your sakes, that this doesn't taint what your DH & his daughter should have together. That'd be a loss that you'd be hard-pressed to quantify-- a tragedy really, that can't be measured in dollars & cents.  yes, I realize it is a tragedy.  But there have been many many tragedies in this entire situation, so one more really isn't going to make that much difference.  We had such great family times when she was younger, I love her, I really do.  I'm just so resentful - in my mind (And DH) she has turned into her mother - it's all about money.  We just want "out" of this situation where our hands are tied and they get to have power over us.    She can't just ignore us, not visit, not call, never send pictures, NOTHING, but expect money, (well I guess she can).....and expect that to be okay with us.

BTW - We became guardians of my half brother when he was 3 - my mom couldn't take care of him for a multitude of reasons.  It's been 10 years now.  Never got a dime of child support from my mom (nothing to get) and his biological dad is some loser on SSI   (Not SSD where the child gets benefits, too).    The only thing we get is the state health plan, but he's on my health insurance so that really doesn't do us much good, 5 bucks here and there for copayments.

My point being:  We are not heartless and cruel children haters.  DH loves him as if he were his own son, never has made one single comment ever about how taking him in has affected us, doesn't resent the expenses, time, anything.  It was the right thing to do at the time and we did it.  We did it to save his life and out of love.

Message 9 of 96
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@drkaje wrote:
As a father, I'd be more worried about not seeing the kid than $300. Years ago, my cousin had a kid and was required to sue her parents for CS in order to qualify for certain benefits. Booner's our girl but "holding us hostage" sounds/reads a bit extreme (from her) there are likely other issues leading up to these bad feelings she hasn't shared.

You're so sweet.  I think my reply to lilmirth might give some insight into all the bad feelings.  yes, it kills DH.  He has to leave the room during sappy father/daugher movies, etc. Gets depressed on Father's day, birthday, xmas when not even a card comes.  it's hard on him.  His heart broke when she was taken away back in the day.  I think he kind of closed up when that happened to help his heart not feel so much pain.  But she's 20 - what can you do?  If she doesn't want a relationship, then she is, after all, an "adult".

Message 10 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.