Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige Design

tag
vAirGo7
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi Premier + Prestige new design

we need to call citi exec office or card production department to request improvement on thier high-up cards plastic quality.  Smiley LOL

Message 11 of 19
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I must say that the Citi cards do appear to be made from lighter plastic than it's competitors, especially the Double Cash! It's very lightweight and near the edges there appear to be smudges in the clear layer that covers the graphics. Even the Freedom feels heavier and it's a plastic card. I guess I am spoiled since I have the Sapphire and the Ritz, everytime I take out the Ritz I just have to say wow, even the Sapphire feels light after handling that beast of a card.Smiley LOL

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 12 of 19
Kenro
Regular Contributor

While Chase manages to put mag stripes on fully metal cards and do raised text on metal, which clearly was done by Laser... Citi makes the back of the card look like Frankenstein with different pieces made out of toilet plastic stuck together, and since it doesnt stick well... Then procceed to dip the whole thing in glue to make it somewhat not fall apart while you try to swipe it.

Dont get me wrong, I love Citi... I just think they need to execute people who are responsible for their website and production/design of their cards. Or at least drug test them, I mean on what kind of stuff do you have to be to decide to put a mag stripe on front and chip on back Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

Glad the stripe is being moved to the back. The stripe on the front had to be one of the dumbest moves in credit card design in awhile. I agree the card should be made of a better more durablle material, especially the prestige given its high AF. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 19
Kenro
Regular Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

I must say that the Citi cards do appear to be made from lighter plastic than it's competitors, especially the Double Cash! It's very lightweight and near the edges there appear to be smudges in the clear layer that covers the graphics. Even the Freedom feels heavier and it's a plastic card. I guess I am spoiled since I have the Sapphire and the Ritz, everytime I take out the Ritz I just have to say wow, even the Sapphire feels light after handling that beast of a card.Smiley LOL

Premier feels worse than Citi Double right now... Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

@Kenro wrote:

@Discover2016 wrote:

Premier feels worse than Citi Double right now... Smiley Sad

You know it sounds petty when we talk about the quality of material of a credit card and some say I don't need it to look nice I just need to use the credit. I tend to fall into the camp that does not care much about how a card looks. That being said when it comes to the texture and material quality of a card it becomes more than about how it looks. Instead it can impact how often I may use a card. Some cards tend to deteriorate over time and may have difficulty being read by scanners at the store. This happened with a debit card of mine, but if the materials aren't that great then this alone might be a reason why I would just use a competitors card. Yes, you can call in and get another card, but that requires additional time out of my day and assuming the points I earn on another product are about the same as the citi ty points I am not going to waste time doing that. The design of the card made it annoying to use and I would likely consider using a different card if not for the fact I was making my initial spend. Since I don't have the new design yet I am not sure how easily it will be able to grip or pull out of my wallet for a swipe. I have noticed with some cards they tend to stick in the wallet slots and are not as easy to remove. I liked the way the CSP felt in my hand, it was easy to pull out of the wallet and mine didn't start to peel apart (an issue I had with a prior freedom card). In terms of looks the amex everyday card annoys me a bit as well because it is clear and it can be difficult to see at times when mixed in with other credit cards. That is one thing about my freedom card with the colored border. I can look down and just from seeing the side of the card I know which one is the freedom. So in my mind citi should care a little bit more about the quality of their cards, because it can have an impact on which card someone will reach for at the store. 

;
Message 16 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige Design

The secret to a durable Prestige card :

Step 1: get approved for Prestige, and Ritz Carlton rewards card
Step 2: Order 2 citi Prestige cards, and one extra Ritz Carlton rewards credit card
Step 3: place Ritz Carlton card between the two Prestige cards.
Step 4: Glue both of the Prestige cards to the Ritz card, facing the same direction (so one side is front and the other is back)
Step 5: have awesome Prestige card.

Note: You may not be able to swipe or insert this card into any POS terminal..... Anywhere.
Message 17 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
The secret to a durable Prestige card :

Step 1: get approved for Prestige, and Ritz Carlton rewards card
Step 2: Order 2 citi Prestige cards, and one extra Ritz Carlton rewards credit card
Step 3: place Ritz Carlton card between the two Prestige cards.
Step 4: Glue both of the Prestige cards to the Ritz card, facing the same direction (so one side is front and the other is back)
Step 5: have awesome Prestige card.

Note: You may not be able to swipe or insert this card into any POS terminal..... Anywhere.

For people who just can't deal with the quality of the card they can just buy a metal card and have their credit card linked to it. Smiley Happy

;
Message 18 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Haha. I personally couldn't care less. I'll waste all of citi's money ordering replacements. Lol.

While I think the card feels a little cheap, if it earns me the rewards and gives me a the perks I want, it can be a piece of paper I printed out of the computer for all I care.

Do I wish it was a nicer/sturdier card... Yeah, but I'll live. Smiley Tongue
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.