Valued Contributor

Re: Citi surely is slick!

@jsucool76 wrote:

@kostyan1992 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@L-TWT wrote:

And their new DC card is surely not a TRUE 2% cash back card

My 1st monthly statement cut today, and I only received 1% cash back on all my purchases and ~ 50% cash back on my payments.

Being that I had a few pending charges not cleared before my closing date, I was not able to pay my entire balance by the closing date.

So it appears, in order to receive a TRUE 2%, one must pay their entire balance by closing date, but the catch is, Citi does not allow one to!!!!!

Not really understanding how Citi doesnt allow one to pay their balance by the closing date. If one is aware of their closing date then one should probably be prepared to not have pending charges around that time....the terms seem pretty straight forward and clear to me. Smiley Indifferent

I believe that is only on the first statement. 

What he is saying is, because those charges were pending, he wasn't able to pay them and recieve the other 1% in time before the statement cut.

I don't know any lender that allows you to pay pending charges. lol

People always need something to complain about though. 

Sure, all of them allow you to pay pending charges via pushing from your bank.  I did it last month to try to maximize my score this month.  Pay all of the pending charges right before the statement cuts to ensure it cuts with a zero balance.  My reading of the DC is Citi would accept the payment, but you wouldn't get the extra 1% CB.  Ever.  However, I would like to hear others if that is the case.  Just for curiosity.  I have no plans for app'g for the DC.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, all of them allow you to pay pending charges via pushing from your bank.  I did it last month to try to maximize my score this month.  Pay all of the pending charges right before the statement cuts to ensure it cuts with a zero balance.  My reading of the DC is Citi would accept the payment, but you wouldn't get the extra 1% CB.  Ever.  However, I would like to hear others if that is the case.  Just for curiosity.  I have no plans for app'g for the DC.

What does this mean? Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea how this works. My statements cut on the 7th, from the 5th - 7th I dont use the cards to avoid pending charges. But this is interesting

Message 12 of 16
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What does this mean? Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea how this works. My statements cut on the 7th, from the 5th - 7th I dont use the cards to avoid pending charges. But this is interesting

This means you use your banks bill pay feature. It begins an ACH from your bank account to your lender. It is very similar to paying by check, but it all happens online. 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This means you use your banks bill pay feature. It begins an ACH from your bank account to your lender. It is very similar to paying by check, but it all happens online. 

I see. Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 16
elegia
New Contributor

I'm confused as to what the problem is, really. You'll still get the bonus and full 2%, it'll just be applied the next month or whenever you make the next payment. It seems to me that's how it was designed to work, anyway - you get 1% on the charges when the statement cuts, and then 1% when you pay off the statement. Not everyone pays down the balance before the statement cuts (until I came to this forum, I thought you were supposed to wait until the statement cut and then just pay by the due date). The way I see it, this isn't any different from when any pending charge carries over past the statement date and any bonus it might have earned is applied to the next statement.

Message 15 of 16
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

It's not a big deal, if you don't get the 1% on this statement, you'll get it on the next one. i really think they'll change their tune on that 2% pretty soon though lol. 

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.