Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer help

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Computer help

@Anonymous wrote:
I remember when the want ads were full of job listings for "Keypunch Operators."

Yep, and when I started hearing about "dimpled chads" during the Florida election recounts in 2000 it was deja vu for me!
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 41 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I remember when the want ads were full of job listings for "Keypunch Operators."

Yep, and when I started hearing about "dimpled chads" during the Florida election recounts in 2000 it was deja vu for me!

In that 2000 election, I actually voted using one of those antiquated voting machines that produces those hanging, dimpled chads.  
Message 42 of 47
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

In that 2000 election, I actually voted using one of those antiquated voting machines that produces those hanging, dimpled chads.

Does that mean that you were one of those elderly, confused (hanging, dimpled) voters that were baffled by the ballots? Smiley Very Happy Sorry, just kidding.

We had great touch machines where we live that were then converted to a different touch system that takes forever to navigate through. Just a week or two ago, our governor signed into law a bill requiring that all Tennessee voting machines be required to also generate a paper record, in case an audit is needed. Only two counties (not ours) have these already. I still can't figure out if they're supposed to be able to pull that off by November!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 43 of 47
marty56
Super Contributor

I miss the old metal machines where you had to pull the lever at the end to vote and the curtain open up after you do it.

San Antonio has touch screens which are easy to use and a lot faster to vote.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 44 of 47
MattH
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In that 2000 election, I actually voted using one of those antiquated voting machines that produces those hanging, dimpled chads.

Does that mean that you were one of those elderly, confused (hanging, dimpled) voters that were baffled by the ballots? Smiley Very Happy Sorry, just kidding.

We had great touch machines where we live that were then converted to a different touch system that takes forever to navigate through. Just a week or two ago, our governor signed into law a bill requiring that all Tennessee voting machines be required to also generate a paper record, in case an audit is needed. Only two counties (not ours) have these already. I still can't figure out if they're supposed to be able to pull that off by November!

In Connecticut until recently we still used the old mechanical lever machines, but now CT uses the "Optical Scan" system, where I fill in spots on a paper form with a pencil, much like what we all used for standardized tests in school. For blind voters CT uses the Fax-Print system described here:

http://www.ivsllc.com/
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 45 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In Connecticut until recently we still used the old mechanical lever machines, but now CT uses the "Optical Scan" system, where I fill in spots on a paper form with a pencil, much like what we all used for standardized tests in school.

After that 2000 election fiasco, we received new voting machines.  In my county, we're also using the "Optical Scan" system that you described.
Message 46 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Back then I wasn't one of those elderly, confused (hanging, dimpled) voters.  However, 8 years later, everything is starting to wrinkle and sag on me a little!Smiley Very Happy
Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.