Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Responsibility Rant

tag
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Consumer Responsibility Rant

Ok so I have posted a few threads under Credit Cards in regards to individual creditors & the relative "dislike" or slight "hate" I have read posted and felt the need to chime in. I should have just posted this instead (oops). 

In my line of work (contracted QA Mngr for  DMP), I am at the front and center of consumers in line to get help from under credit card debt. From $2000.00 of unmanaged store/retail credit to 200K+ of various credit cards (the prestige cards all the way down to FP and Credit One accounts).  

Although the reasons for getting to DMP differ (extreme hardship to "I don't like my interest rate!"), very few consumers who have not suffered a major life changing event (death, nature's lovely actions, job loss, etc.), actually take responsibility for where they are at financially. I cannot stress enough that I am not heartless, but I do feel that a lot of these bad situations could have been handled, if not avoided completely, had informed decisions been made along the way. It is NOT always the creditor's fault. Actually, I rarely feel the creditor is, actually, at fault. They did their job. They lent you money, on their terms that you agreed to, you failed to pay it back. There are penalty APRs, fees, etc. (again, you agreed to)

Yes, there are bottom feeder lenders who prey on the down on their luck, hoping they apply for their over-priced almost useless credit lines but I have yet to find one - ANY - that hides these terms. They are not deceptive, their (ridiculous and overpriced) terms are to be READ and REVIEWED before you click that little I AGREE!! SEND ME A CREDIT CARD!! button.

ALL credit is a privlege, NOT a right, and it tends to get under my skin when those who click now, whine later, fail to take responsibility for their actions AND purchases. You do not spend more than you can afford. Credit is not free money. Consequences for all actions. 

Ok, that's my vent. Thank you for reading. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Consumer Responsibility Rant

Thank you for posting.

My very first post on these boards was similar to yours in some ways, but I soon realized that the folks who come here, with few exceptions, are trying to learn the rules of the game so that they can act in that responsible manner we all want.

While there'll always be scammers and cheats, a whole lot of individual credit problems stem from ignorance of how things work in the credit world.  This forum lets people educate others, and that education seems to stick pretty well, too, because it's coming from regular folks who've been down the same road before, then found a better path and are passing that knowledge to others.

I look forward to your future posts, you've got great insight because you must've heard it all by now, in your position.  With that knowledge, and a bit of compassion,  you're going to help the people here who really want your help.  And you'll be really good at it, too.

Vents and rants are OK here, too, BTW.  I actually enjoy them!  Shows me I'm not alone at being pissed at some things I can't change.  This consumer responsibility thing is one thing you can change, if you'd like.

Do it.

Thanks for reading this, too!  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

It extends well beyond the credit world. I see it from the workplace to even the soccer fields, it often is "someone else's fault" rather than looking at their own involvement and actions leading up to an event.

Not everyone is like this, and some are even selective in their responsibility considerations; however I do tend to agree with uborrow that this forum generally is better than most places in that regard. We've had a rash of "why won't this lender give me a card, they suck!" threads lately but the message from the other forum members has largely been consistent: namely, look at your own profile before casting stones (heavily paraphrased).

Whether those get read or thought about is a different issue; however, the education from the forum and the occasional lender clue-by-four does penetrate for most folks I think; albeit can't help everyone in that regard.

        
Message 3 of 7
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
look at your own profile before casting stones (heavily paraphrased).

Look ay my profile?

Message 4 of 7
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

The quote, in its entirety, is as follows: 

"We've had a rash of "why won't this lender give me a card, they suck!" threads lately but the message from the other forum members has largely been consistent: namely, look at your own profile before casting stones (heavily paraphrased)."

No arguments here.  I think each and every one of us advocates personal responsibility.  

There will always be a few who blame others for their troubles, without looking to themselves as the cause.  Unfortunately, in your line of work, QAMngrGirl, you probably see more than your fair share of them.

Don't let it ruin your day.  It's just a job.

Message 5 of 7
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

My apologies I read that as read my own profile before posting this. I have my share of complaints no doubt but sometimes the ones I hear baffle me. Consumers saying oh they will take $10 a month on my $5999 balance or they get nothing is like what?? It doesn't work that way Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 7
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

No apologies needed.

You're cool with everyone on these boards!

IF I could, I'd come over to your place with a bottle of wine, and rub your toes 'til you fell asleep, with an almost imperceptible smile on your face...and I'd know you'd be OK in the A.M.....

The people you deal with for the DMP...some good, some bad....have compassion when you can, and leave it at that, period.

Don't let life get you down, QAMngrGirl!  

Just enjoy, OK!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.