Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of Thanksgiving Dinner

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Cost of Thanksgiving Dinner

My son (at college) just popped the question "Guess how much Thanksgiving dinner cost??"   He bought a turkey, made food, and fed 12 people.   Oh, and he bought REAL coke cola - the name brand stuff!  Smiley Happy

Cost - $173.00

He's not working.

And what did WE have for dinner?   Leftovers.   Didn't even travel to see the family becuase of a variety of reasons, one being that money is tight as we pay cash for college and are trying really hard to get our mortgage paid off!

In all my years alive, I don't think I have EVER spent that much money on one meal, even when feeding a lot of people!!!   

Smiley Sad

Should I be happy that he cooked (and that he can actually cook a turkey and all the other stuffs?) or be happy that he ate at home or be happy he actually knows how much the meal cost??

Then to add insult to injury, the college son asks, "Mom, have you ever cooked a turkey?"   Seriously???

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

Re: Cost of Thanksgiving Dinner

You should be proud!  It wasn't merely a meal that he prepared for friends.  He shared an experience that is meant to be the very essence of Thanksgiving.  Breaking bread with those we care about reminds us that gifts from the heart are more valuable than gifts from the wallet.

One can tally the costs to prepare the meal.  However the experience of the meal itself is priceless.

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 2 of 5
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

A bit over $14 per person.  Doesn't sound extravagant at all.  Heck the liquor alone could have been more than that.  You should congratulate him and move on.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 3 of 5
awal
Regular Contributor

Tell him next time to have a pot luck dinner and have those 12 other college kids bring something.
Starting Scores: 
Current Scores:  
Message 4 of 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Lol - thank you all!  I was not expecting responses, but...

Lol - thank you all!  I was not expecting responses, but the ones I did receive were priceless!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.