Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costs of Museum Admissions

tag
veracious
Established Contributor

Costs of Museum Admissions

Visitors prices have gone up tremendously . Did some checking beforehand and found  that an all-inclusive

admission to the big city museum is $180  for 2 adults and 3 kids. Plus $18 for parking.

This price includes all special exhibits and your choice of one 3D movie.

What are the prices like in your town?  I remember when you could visit for free.

Maybe I beter take the grandkids for a sight-seeing drive !!  Smiley Surprised

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Costs of Museum Admissions

I think the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is positively prohibitive even if you live in the county that tax dollars were raised from to help build it.

Ultimately it depends on what museaum you are visiting and waht all special events you are doing.

http://rockhall.com/visit-the-museum/

http://www.glsc.org/visit/hours.php

180 for 5 people does translate to 36 per person.  HIGH but all inclusive and all events might do it.

Also I think it might depend on what city you live in.

Message 2 of 13
veracious
Established Contributor

Thanks, usmc58555.

The two museums you quoted were extremely reasonable. Unfortunately, I'm near the windy city and

that's what we have to pay.

You mentioned that $36 per person wasn't too bad. The thing is, three of the visitors are little people,

you know, they may become disinterested in as litle as a half hour.

Not complaining though, I just wanted to hear other persons thoughts on  the prices for public arts & science

museums.  I think some museums are publically as well as charitably funded.

Maybe the new "Captains of Industry & Finance" don't donate as much to the arts anymore.

haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I don't have any figures for how museums specifically were affected, but many, many cultural and educations groups were affected by the Bernie Madoff scandal/ collapse. Either they had money invested, or their supporters did.

Otherwise, it is well-documented that the income of the wealthy segment of America his increased, not decreased, over the last several years. Smiley Indifferent

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 13
veracious
Established Contributor

Good point, haulingthescoreup,

It almost seems as though the ultra wealthy are;  for whatever reason,  a little stingy nowadays.

Of course you will only hear  them complain about taxes , and oddly enough,  support of the arts & sciences are

tax deductable.   I feel that the ultra rich don't want anyone to gain from their  successes.  A sizeable donation could

enable all persons to attend & experience the arts for an entire summer. Instead, the gov't has to subsidize some  of

the  museums so everyone can enjoy our history and accomplishments.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@veracious wrote:

Thanks, usmc58555.

The two museums you quoted were extremely reasonable. Unfortunately, I'm near the windy city and

that's what we have to pay.

You mentioned that $36 per person wasn't too bad. The thing is, three of the visitors are little people,

you know, they may become disinterested in as litle as a half hour.

Not complaining though, I just wanted to hear other persons thoughts on  the prices for public arts & science

museums.  I think some museums are publically as well as charitably funded.

Maybe the new "Captains of Industry & Finance" don't donate as much to the arts anymore.

Thanks- my point was that your tickets were ALL INCLUSIVE.

Take the IMAX out of the occasion.....

You may also find cheaper parking alternative by free parking at a public transportation center and taking PT into the museaum.

Also  check with the museum you are visiting you may find cheaper rates if you become a "member" or sponsor or patron and then simply take more then 1 trip a year. I have also seen some places charge cheaper through the week rates.

Do not be shy, call them and see if there are discount tickets offered via grocery stores, AAA, Employer HR DEPT, Costco or Entertainment book.

Also online resources.

Assuming "The Field Museum"- a $100 Family membership gives

A Family membership provides benefits for free general admission and discounts for two adults and all the children under age 18 who live in your household. If you are a grandparent, the membership covers two adults and all of your grandchildren under age 18. Memberships are annualized from the date you join.

Member Benefits

A Field Museum membership means wonderful benefits and support for one of the world’s finest museums. With an encyclopedic collection of cultural objects and biological specimens, the Field Museum is a place to visit again and again. There is always something new to see...to do...to learn...to explore...so join today!

All Field Museum Membership levels include:

• Free general admission to the Museum, according to your member category
  • Free tickets to special exhibitions, according to your member category
  • Free coat check according to your member category
  • Free reciprocal admission to 200+ science and technology museums
  • Free subscription to In the Field, our member magazine
  • Invitation to our Annual Members' Night
  • 10% discount on Field Museum birthday packages
  • Invitations to members-only viewings of special exhibitions
  • 10% discount at The Field's Corner Bakery and McDonalds
  • 10% discount in the Museum Stores and special holiday shopping discounts
  • Discounts on all education programs including courses, lectures, field trips, overnights, and family programs
  • Discounted special exhibitions audio tours
  • Use of the Museum's extensive research library
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if you happen to bank with BoA, but they have a "Museums on Us" program that I've taken advantage of a few times. All you need is either a debit or a credit card from BoA-- The card member gets free general admission. They offer it on the first weekend of the month for museums that participate.

Found the link: http://museums.bankofamerica.com/arts/MOU.aspx

If you don't do any banking with BoA, check directly with your bank and/or credit unions because they might have a discount program as well. Also, check the Visa, MC, Amex, & Discover discounts directly on their websites. They frequently offer at least a percentage off on tons of things, so maybe they have museums as well.

ETA: I visited Chicago last fall with my little ones, for the Festival of Lights (it wasn't the 1st weekend), but I did happen to get discounts at all the museums that we visited using my AAA discount. For less than $50 per year, that membership discount card has really come in handy, and has more than paid for itself. Years ago, I used to have auto & home owners insurance with them, but I stick with USAA for insurance now. I keep the club membership, though, and haven't had any regrets.

Also, last year, my two smallest got into museums for free (infant and toddler), and the two oldest (adolescents) got in at the discounted children's rate, and then further reduced with my discount card. So, look around, and look in your wallet-- you might have some discounts or even free admission in there!

Message 7 of 13
Skater

We're very lucky here to have free admission to most museums and the zoo!
Message 8 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Skater wrote:
We're very lucky here to have free admission to most museums and the zoo!

DC? Smiley Happy

Most everything is free here, though you certainly pay for it when you buy a $10 burger or a $5 coke.

Message 9 of 13
Skater

St louis and yes you pay a premium for lunch and you're better off finding street parking!
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.