cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards without lifted numbers on card?

tag
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Cards without lifted numbers on card?

I much prefer the printed numbers.

I did run into one of those knuckle grinders though last year at a boutique hotel on South Miami Beach. They wouldn’t let me check in without taking a carbon copy of the card. So I was forced to use a different card then the one I wanted to use.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love my flat cards - disco, Citi Costco & I guess CSP kinda counts, sure it's engraved but it's subtle and clean.

Last time I saw a carbon copier machine was fairly recent, I want to say in the last 5 years, at PF Changs. They had just had their payment terminals breached and resorted to breaking out the carbon in order to stay open and accept cards. This was somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic or NE - wanna say jersey but possibly Philly or Virginia though as I understand it was a nation wide policy until they locked down their processing.
Message 12 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

LOL... we used to call them 'knuckle busters', and like others have stated they were mainly used to prove the card was present for offline situations.

(I can also remember in a pinch just putting the card on the counter with the charge slip over it in the right position and firmly rubbing the side of an ink pen over it to get the impression.  Crude, but effective.)

KnuckleBuster.jpg

OldSlip.jpg

If you were lucky, you would have one of these (that worked) to go along with it:

Verifone.gif

If you didn't have access to the Verifone terminal (or it was out of service) you would have to call for an auth code, which meant you would need the proper toll-free number as well as your merchant ID (usually you had three of each, for MC/V, for Amex, and for Discover).  At the places I worked usually the numbers were hand-written on a sticker near the phone.

Ahh... simpler times!  grandpa.gif

Message 13 of 20
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I personally think the "knuckle buster" machines need to go, because all your CC info is on carbon copy, which anyone would have access too.

I came across this two years ago at a Lens crafters. I was using my Care Credit card, and they were having trouble swiping it, so they broke out their old time Knuckle buster machine, and I declined that!

Im weird about that with my info being on Carbon Copy just laying around for God and everyone to see, lol.
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarthwrote:

@C_DUBYAwrote:

I received a Playstation Sony Capital One Visa today.  And the card has a chip but all the data is printed on the card, first the raised textured numbers Im used to.  Is this new?  

The trend these days is moving away from embossed cards vs simply printing the card numbers.   I believe there is a cost benefit to printing numbers, and many consumers prefer them, as they stack more thinly within one's wallet.  

Of the cards listed in my signature, the majority are still embossed.   However, SYNC has been issuing more printed cards these days, so I suspect its a matter of time before printed numbers take over

SunriseEarth your problem in stacking cards isn't the embossed numbers making them thicker, it is the huge credit limits/lines that are assigned to the cards Smiley Happy GADS how do you carry them?

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first time I saw a non-embossed was when I got my Cap1 Quicksilver One a few years back. Thought it looked odd and like a fake credit card for a long time. And they moved the card number to the back on the new ones, so Id continuous flip it the wrong side when paying online. You are so used to CC numbers being in a specific place. Now I am pretty much used to it. 

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactorwrote:
I much prefer the printed numbers.

I did run into one of those knuckle grinders though last year at a boutique hotel on South Miami Beach. They wouldn’t let me check in without taking a carbon copy of the card. So I was forced to use a different card then the one I wanted to use.

Remember the day when the store was out of carbon forms so they just wrote the information down on a piece of paper and called it in. Yeah ...  grandpa.gif

Message 17 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

This conversation is getting dangerously close to "remember when we used to just get BankAmericard and MasterCharge cards in the mail without even having to apply?" Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

This conversation is getting dangerously close to "remember when we used to just get BankAmericard and MasterCharge cards in the mail without even having to apply?" Smiley Wink

grandpa.gif  smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 19 of 20
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@C_DUBYA wrote:

I received a Playstation Sony Capital One Visa today.  And the card has a chip but all the data is printed on the card, first the raised textured numbers Im used to.  Is this new?  

I think at this point I have more non-embossed cards than embossed. 

Citi Costco Visa

BoA Cash Rewards

Capital One QS

DCU Visa

Discover

Chase Amazon.com (slightly raised, but not tall enough or large enough to be imprinted clearly)

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.