Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma scoring system

tag
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Credit Karma scoring system

So my wife and I both subscribe to Credit Karma. We have both seen huge decreases (her Equifax -33pts) and increases (my Equifax - 20 pts) for no particular reason. Has anyone else noticed this. We also subscribe to FICO scores via our Discover card and BC accts. Have not seen these radical shifts in those venues.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma scoring system

Discover only gives you a score at the end of every month for one credit reporting agency. The score will stay the same for the month until Discover posts the new one. Your score can temporarily go down with a new inquiry, as well as other incidents.

Message 2 of 3
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Karma scoring system

Credit Karma uses VantageScore 3.0.   It can be expected to differ from FICO quite a bit. It is a new generation of score that uses data not available or used in FICO scores prior to FICO 9. Because of the increased predictive nature of this new data VS3.0 ignores paid collections. FICO 9 also uses this new data and also ignores paid collections.. I expect FICO 9 will correlate a lot closer with VantageScore 3.0 but while FICO 9 is a released product, it is not available to consumers.

Neiither FICO 9 nor VantageScore 3.0 are widely used for lending decisions at this time.

The most significant aspect of the new data used in FICO 9 and VantageScore 3.0 is the payment's made on each account. Previously, only the balance was utlized in scoring. The payments made, relative to the minimum payment due and CL has been shown to be highly risk predictive according to a FICO banking blog posted about a year ago.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.