cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting Back on Expenses...Don't Try This at Home...

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Cutting Back on Expenses...Don't Try This at Home...

so our 28 wedding anniv was last Friday.  We wanted to go to a nice restaurant.  I bought a $50 gift certificate from our local radio stations *Dining Deals* for $25...good deal.

We get to the restaurant, parking is only Valet $5 + tip.

One glass of wine & one beer at the bar $15.24 (not including tip)

Dinner with wine, appetizer, salad and entree + dessert to share $160 (not including tip)

I've got to admit, I'm STILL thinking about that appetizer.  The dinner was fabulous, and I'm feeling guilty about spending that much cash on one meal.   Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cutting Back on Expenses...Don't Try This at Home...

Don't feel guily. You got what you paid for: an excellent meal that would beat McDonalds or TGI Fridays on any given day.

DW and I do the same thing. Every Valentines and every wedding anniversary we splurge on dinner for the two of us. We live in the Washington, DC area and there's some really nice restaurants here. Each season we purchase the Washingtonian Magazine's Best Restaurant Guide and it is our personal goal to hit every single restaurant on that list. Our anniversary is easy to book for but some Valentines, we have to book up to 2 months in advance. In the past, we have spent as little as $100 and as much as $500 plus for dinner with tip and we don't even drink. I used to chef a restaurant and enjoy fine, quality food. Quality is more important than quantity. I figure if I really wanted to save $$$, I could always eat at McDonalds everyday.
Message 2 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Thanks, I feel MUCH BETTER now....$500 for one meal, holy cow!   Still thinking about that appetzier though.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not married, but I also don't think you have anything to feel guilty for.  You've been married for 28 years, which is something very few people can say anymore, and if you're willing to go out to a special dinner like that, then you must still love each other, which I think even fewer people can say.  I think my grandparetns were married for almost 50, and I never heard them talk to each other as if they loved each other, though I know some people show love in different ways. 

CONGRATULATIONS!

Message 4 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

good point Woopah!  Although I would have been happy with less, it was nice to go out and really enjoy it.

My birthday IS coming up.......I'd go there again except forgo the entree.  I was just FULL.

Message 5 of 8
2wheel
Frequent Contributor

I belive its not the meal but the experiance.... I wouldnt be telling my friends we went to burger king for our anniverary. But if I went to a high class resturant It would make good conversation
2wheel
Message 6 of 8
demi
Established Contributor

Ok, got me...what was the incredible appetizer?

Congratulations on 28 years, thats only about 5 1/2 bucks a year !

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Can't recall the name of the appetizer.  It was little pasta *purses* filled with truffles and cheese.  It was then drizzled with an additional cheese and truffle oil.  Delectable.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.