Did you mean: 

DWI/DUI....just don't do it!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DWI/DUI....just don't do it!!!

@namvet wrote:

@Roarmeister wrote:

Not much difference bewtween DWI/DUI and distracted driving (texting, dialing, putting on makeup, etc).

When you drive, JUST DRIVE, nothing else.

Oh there is a big difference! 

In 2010, 3092 people were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver and an estimated additional 416,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving a distracted driver.

In 2010, 10,228 people died in drunk driving crashes and 345,000 were injured in drunk driving crashes. 

Sources:

http://www.distraction.gov/content/get-the-facts/facts-and-statistics.html

http://www.madd.org/statistics/

(Note these are 2010 statistics; one could suppose distracted driving may have increased since then.)

What pains me most is not that a DUI is so expensive; it's that a texting-while-driving is so cheap! $200 is a joke!

Message 11 of 13
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Not being disrespectful, but did you really do this friend a favor?  How will this friend learn a lesson when it was so easy to get out of jail?   My niece was bailed out and got another dui two months later, and caused an awful accident.  Her parents certainly didn't do her a favor.

I say, if you do the crime, do the time.  One thing we don't need is a drunk driver on the streets.  Don't text, don't answer calls, don't put on make-up....etc.  PAY ATTENTION.

Message 12 of 13
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Yes. I did them a favor. I only do this for friends and their first offense. If it's second or more they are on their own. She will still end up paying large fines, my bill, court costs and have to do community service. There is ample time in there for self reflection and correcting of behaviors.

Also, as a defense attorney it's my job to get my clients off or mitigate their liability as best I can. While I normally don't practice criminal law the concept is valid in all areas of practice. There are attorneys on the other side whose job is to prosecute the cases to the best of their abilities. That's how our adversarial court system is setup. I make no appologies for doing ny job as defense attorney and doing it well.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.