Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied a job because of credit report

tag
Booboo71
Established Contributor

Denied a job because of credit report

I just found out tonite thru email that I was denied a postion because my credit report (transunion) . It came back "red".. If I pay the 4 collections do you think they would reconsider employment with them?.. I'm so sick from this right now... The company that performed the back ground and credit check was sterling information system. The hr recruiter told me on email I had 5 days to  correct any errors with sterling and to notify her. Do you think I have a chance to just pay these collections and maybe still get the job??? Everything else criminal and sex offender came back cleared but the credit part was marked red.. Please ant advice..

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Booboo71
Established Contributor

Re: Denied a job because of credit report

Please anyone?? I'm so sick right now and depressed

Message 2 of 13
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

i'm sorry to hear that.  See if you can take care of your derogs and call the banks to have them report immediately to the bureaus then check back in with your recruiter...Just curious...is this an job agency recruiter or one with the actual employer?

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 3 of 13
Booboo71
Established Contributor

Actual employer

Message 4 of 13
Stralem
Established Contributor

Wow, that sucks. Was this a finance job by chance?

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 5 of 13
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Yes do the advice given above pay it off so the report is clear. Typically finance, security, airport TSA, CIA, police, and other sensitive government jobs or companies where you might be a financial risk require a clean credit and other background check.

Message 6 of 13
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

Yes do the advice given above pay it off so the report is clear. Typically finance, security, airport TSA, CIA, police, and other sensitive government jobs or companies where you might be a financial risk require a clean credit and other background check.

Yup... I need to pay off around $40,000 in debt before I can apply for an armored truck company, LMAO.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to take care of this whether or not it can save the current job offer for you. If you are going for the type of jobs that require a background/credit check, it's going to come up again.

Message 8 of 13
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@RushXTC wrote:

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

Yup... I need to pay off around $40,000 in debt before I can apply for an armored truck company, LMAO.

^^^^

Yes the armored car carrier company will not hire you unless you do since you may be tempted to steal money due to the financial pressure of the outstanding debt you have, what will make it worse is some late payments or defaults on the credit report causing you to be under more stress, or any job where your loyalty and/or responsibilities may be compromised due to financial stress.

Message 9 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You need to take care of this whether or not it can save the current job offer for you. If you are going for the type of jobs that require a background/credit check, it's going to come up again.

This.   And my guess is that if the employer has seen the current report, it really is too late.  You can correct errors (the COs weren't mine) but having COs that you only fixed when it was absolutely necessary might create the wrong impression about financial judgement.  But hope it can work out.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.