Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling the mouse on a laptop

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disabling the mouse on a laptop

I have a Dell Inspiron and I plug a USB external mouse into to use.

Is there a way to disable the built in mouse so that my cursor stops jumping all around everytime my hand hits the little pad area?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Disabling the mouse on a laptop

I think if you go into the Control Panel and click the Mouse option, that the settings for that is in there somewhere.

However, I could be wrong.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

On my laptop (I forget the brand, but it's a few years old), there is a little bar button just above the trackpad that enables/disables it.  It's particularly useful when one or more of the kitties decide that they want petting RIGHT NOW...

Both Padme and Chiana have walked on the keyboard enough to do Google searches for gibberish.

-MsMS
Message 3 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think my cat has actually posted!

sidewinder, I went to Settings--> Control Panel--> Mouse and clicked the tab called Device Settings. It has the option to disable the Synaptics TouchPad V6.2, but I was too chicken to try it, having no idea how I'd re-enable without the touch pad to get there. Smiley Tongue (I have Vista Home, lucky me.)

I hope this is an expansion of your post rather than a TJ, but I have a Toshiba laptop, and if someone could tell me how to disable the @#$%^&* function where touching the touchpad near the top right corner maximizes the window, and touching it near the bottom right minimizes it, I'd be eternally grateful. Not to mention that weird shadowy function key image that pops up sometimes at the top.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 19
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I think my cat has actually posted!

sidewinder, I went to Settings--> Control Panel--> Mouse and clicked the tab called Device Settings. It has the option to disable the Synaptics TouchPad V6.2, but I was too chicken to try it, having no idea how I'd re-enable without the touch pad to get there. Smiley Tongue (I have Vista Home, lucky me.)

I hope this is an expansion of your post rather than a TJ, but I have a Toshiba laptop, and if someone could tell me how to disable the @#$%^&* function where touching the touchpad near the top right corner maximizes the window, and touching it near the bottom right minimizes it, I'd be eternally grateful. Not to mention that weird shadowy function key image that pops up sometimes at the top.

Hauling -- I have a Tos laptop and I know it can be done.  I'll have to yank the thing out here in a sec and look.  It's somewhere under the specific Toshiba utilities.  I'll check back in later!

Smiley Wink
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

FretlessMayhem wrote:
I think if you go into the Control Panel and click the Mouse option, that the settings for that is in there somewhere.

However, I could be wrong.

I can enable/disable the mouse I plugged in but not the built in mouse.

I went to Control Panel......Mouse.....Hardware Tab......clicked the mouse and selected "properties".

It gives me the option on the external mouse but not the built in mouse.

Hauling-- I hate the touchpad, that is why I want it disabled. When I am typing, I'll accidently move my thumb across it and move my cursor and I'll jump back to a different spot than were I want to be typing at.

So my will sentence something look this like. LOL.  What a pain.
Message 6 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

guiness56 wrote:
What is the model number of the laptop?

It says Dell Inspiron 1501.
Message 8 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

There should be a touch pad icon in the task bar. Right click and disable the touch pad in the device select tab. To enable it, do the same thing only select enable.
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

guiness56 wrote:
There should be a touch pad icon in the task bar. Right click and disable the touch pad in the device select tab. To enable it, do the same thing only select enable.

Task bar? HA HA, is that the little blue bar across the bottom where it has my icons of currently running programs on the right by the time?

If so, no such icon exist.

Maybe, I can go to system in control panel and disable it in the devices? I'll try.

Scrach that idea....can only uninstall it. Only my mouse I hook up gives me the option to disable it.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 07-01-2008 09:00 PM
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.