Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disneyland and Socal vacation tips

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Disneyland and Socal vacation tips

I am taking my family to Disneyland soon, and would like to hear any tips from myficans for the trip.

We are using the Chase card, so I'll get the 5% back on theme park spending and gas.  Between the drive, etc. we should see a nice reward.  I reserved a condo across from the park; turns out a two bedroom apartment for a week is comparable in price to a small hotel room, so we got a lot more bank for our buck.  We'll do a lot of our own cooking since it has a kitchen, for a net savings.  I know about arriving early, parent switch passes, and all of that.  Any other Disneyland tricks?

Also, anyone have any must-see attractions in the area to recommend?  We'll have the whole week to putt around.  I went to college in the area, so I know some great hidden beaches, but most of my fondly remembered attractions are not age-appropriate for my 4 and 13 year old.  No, I will not be taking them out to Revolucion Ave. in Tijuana...  We're considering the San Diego Zoo, Medieval Times, the pier, and of course some beach time...  Also, I will not be hiring a wheelchair guide.  We're not that loaded.

What is the best place in the area to see fourth of July fireworks?  Is the Disney park the best, or is there somewhere better?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations are much appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Re: Disneyland and Socal vacation tips

Strongly suggest buying an unofficial guide. Smiley Happy  Also, check out DISboards and www.passporterboards.com for insider information.  I am planning our trip that direction in October and it has changed considerably since I was there 30 years ago (!).  I know ALL about WDW, DL not so much, so those resources have been invaluable.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 2 of 7
p-
Valued Contributor

@thankfulheart wrote:

Strongly suggest buying an unofficial guide. Smiley Happy  Also, check out DISboards and www.passporterboards.com for insider information.  I am planning our trip that direction in October and it has changed considerably since I was there 30 years ago (!).  I know ALL about WDW, DL not so much, so those resources have been invaluable.

Sweet, thanks.

Message 3 of 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Have patience and be ready to kick back.
Message 4 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Besides Disneyland, Universal Studios and CityWalk would be age appropriate. Santa Monica Pier, Griffith Observatory, numerous beaches. Just be prepared for the traffic and fwy closures
Message 5 of 7
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Besides Disneyland, Universal Studios and CityWalk would be age appropriate. Santa Monica Pier, Griffith Observatory, numerous beaches. Just be prepared for the traffic and fwy closures

+1

So true...especially the 405 

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CashOnDelivery wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

+1

So true...especially the 405 

Hah!  There was a listerner who called into KPCC this evening who stated it'd taken her 90 minutes just to get onto the 405.

Such is LA traffic I didn't even think it was absurd when I heard it Cat Tongue

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.