cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do guys here hold doors open for ladies?

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Do guys here hold doors open for ladies?

@drkaje wrote:

No one's ever pulled the "I can open my own door!" line, LOL! If faced with the situation, I'd politely explain that being treated like a lady is a good thing and that femininity shouldn't be sacrificed to advance feminism. Smiley Happy

Not me, I would just say I was brought up to respect my elders.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 21 of 29
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

No one's ever pulled the "I can open my own door!" line, LOL! If faced with the situation, I'd politely explain that being treated like a lady is a good thing and that femininity shouldn't be sacrificed to advance feminism. Smiley Happy

Not me, I would just say I was brought up to respect my elders.

LOL!!

I'd hate passing up a chance to help someone for personal amusement. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 29
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

As a dude, I always hold the door open for the ladies and usually for guys as well.  Smiley Happy  I just think it is simple courtesy regardless if some "liberated" gal takes an invisible offense to the action.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 23 of 29
teenastie
Established Contributor

Typically I hold the door for anyone in proximity. However if I'm at a place that has a line they will get the modified hold the door/ door thrust until you get there, then I'm leaving as you are not skipping my place in line.

I take it upon myself to hold doors for lesser attractive women as it is my assumption that they are never treated as nicely as their better looking counterparts (this tactic has backfired Smiley Embarassed). Conversly, good looking women will typically not have the door held (for an extended period) for them because 1. They expect it 2. I live life on the edge 3. Good girls like Bad guys Smiley Tongue

Message 24 of 29
Quips
Regular Contributor

Always - also give up the seat on the bus/subway - especially for elderly or women with children. My mom would slap me if I didn't (and she's been gone for 15 years)

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 25 of 29
amkari
New Contributor

I very rarely had someone open the door for me until I went to work as a correctional officer at a men's prison in 1997... then the inmates ALWAYS held the door open for me.  It was an interesting change in experience given the environment.  lol

Since then I run into about 50/50 of men (or people in general) having the courtesly to hold a door open.  It's more prevalent here in Montana than it was when I lived in California though.  When someone doesn't and I have my son or nephew with me they get instructed to hold the door open because "that's what a gentleman does for ladies" said loud enough to be heard without going overboard or being snide.

With that said, though, I neither expect it nor take it for granted... but my son will always be held to that standard so long as he is out and about with me.  I always say thank you and will hold the door for anyone coming behind me.  I always open and hold the door for anyone elderly out of respect.

Mar 2012: 03/31/2012 - FICO EX 599 (auto loan pull) EQ 593 TU 602)
Oct 2012: 10/25/2012 - EX (tenant screening) 655 - EQ (myfico.com) 641 - TU (myfico.com) 622
Aug 2020: FICO 8: EQ 690, TU 685, EX 688
700s or Bust!
Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

always open doors and pull out chairs and pick up bills for girls

unless it's an ex-wife

LOL

Message 27 of 29
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

always open doors and pull out chairs and pick up bills for girls

unless it's an ex-wife

LOL

I'll still hold the door open for my Ex.

Things didn't work out perfectly but I'm very thankful for the children we have together and am not the type to bear a grudge. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, I cannot hold a grudge against my exwife.  I was an idiot back then.

Now my last ex, she is nothing but a password now.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.