Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do store employees annoy you?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do store employees annoy you?

Whenever you find yourself at the check-out of Macy's, Home Goods, Gamestop, Best Buy, Victoria's Secret, etc, do the store employees annoy you about signing up for their credit cards? 

What do you generally say to them? 

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do store employees annoy you?

Nope.  I usually just tell them I already have their card (in most cases I do) but I also respect the fact that this is part of their job in offering it.  I'm sure some employees don't care to ask and inconvenience shoppers with such questions but it is what it is.  If I'm not interested a simple "no thank you but I appreciate the offer" usually does. just fine.

Message 2 of 41
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

They don't bother me probably for the same reason as Finstar (or I'm usually very happy to apply).

Listening to US Airways flight attendants try to push their card while I'm trying to sleep on one of their planes is far more annoying to me.

Message 3 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Nope.  I usually just tell them I already have their card (in most cases I do) but I also respect the fact that this is part of their job in offering it.  I'm sure some employees don't care to ask and inconvenience shoppers with such questions but it is what it is.  If I'm not interested a simple "no thank you but I appreciate the offer" usually does. just fine.

+1

While I don't particularly like having clerks ask me if I want to apply for credit cards, I realize it's just something expected/demanded of them by the companies they work for. Clerks have tough jobs with low pay & I would never blame them for asking that question.

Sometimes clerks actually seem enthused about the idea of offering a card application. I've gotten that at Home Depot several times, so I assume they must be getting some kind of credit/commission. But they're always so pleasant about it it actually feels good to be asked.

Message 4 of 41
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@B335is wrote:

They don't bother me probably for the same reason as Finstar (or I'm usually very happy to apply).

Listening to US Airways flight attendants try to push their card while I'm trying to sleep on one of their planes is far more annoying to me.

This too!  LOL  Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 41
always41319
New Contributor

No because I work in retail and it's my job to ask people about my store card, so I understand that it's their job too. I've only applied for two store cards--my own store and a torrid card that I was preapproved for in store with a SP. The only other place I really shop that asks me is maurices and I usually just say that I don't want to take the hit on my credit right now. I might apply in the future though. A simple "no thank you" is usually enough, and even the most persistent associate usually gets the hint.
Just please be nice to us when we ask. Trust me, I don't like asking anymore than you like hearing me ask. Lol.
Paypal MC - $7,200 (12/13) | TJX MC - $10,000 (5/14) | Torrid - $3,000 (7/14) | Discover IT - $11,000 (11/14) | AMEX BCE - $5,000 (11/14) | Victoria's Secret - $2,850 (6/15) | Barclays Rewards MC - $10,800 (7/15) | AMEX ED - $7,500 (9/15) | Chase Freedom - $3,500 (6/16) | Maurices - $1,000 (6/16) | Citi Double Cash - $6,300 (7/16) | Ulta Rewards MC - $2,250 (7/16) | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $4,000 (4/17) | David's Bridal - $3,500 (11/19) | Capital One SavorOne - $8,000 (1/20)
CU Auto Loan - $10,684 - 60 Months @ 2.14%
Federal Student Loan - $28,218/$32,000 - Payoff Date: 12/2023
Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm honestly glad you posted this as I find it a way to talk about my work some to the public. 

I work at Best Buy and our credit card apps make the business run. It's an unfortunate fact as I personally see that Best Buy has become a "BANK" with this credit card nonsense.That and our service plans are the best things an employee can get on a sale because that brings us in great money for the company. I am #1 on the scorecard right now, but that doesn't mean I am all for shafting people. The managers push employees to drive financing applications so much that I literally at one point considered quitting because I hated the pressure. We even had this deal going on where you would get $20 off for approval and $10 off for a denial (even if you filled out an application at the register) and many of the people who were going through financial problems chose the deal, knowing they would get denied, but saved $10. It made me go home and feel like a piece of **** because I felt like I was taking advantage of people and I am not about that. The thought of having a hard inquiry on your account just for $10 is not worth it to me. They even have contests that go on behind the sales floor where management "rewards" the employees with gifts, headphones, etc if they get so many apps/daily. At the end of the day, it's all about business and money. It is not a personal thing. Some Best Buy stores actually fire you if you go three shifts without a credit card app. Our boss is a good enough boss that would move you to the warehouse or other position if you were failing at performing on your sales chart as he has only fired employees if they were stealing in his 7+ years of retail management. 

So coming from a retail workers experience, it's fine if you don't want to get a credit card, but do not be loud and nasty about it. The people who say "No, thank you" or "Maybe some other time" are those who I will respect throughout the transaction as we finish up. 

Another unfortunate thing at Best Buy: We don't even get commission for it. 

Message 7 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never had a problem with it since I have never had a store employee press me to get the card after a simple "no thank you." Well maybe after a second clarification once or twice. The time at the counter is spent with idle conversation about unimportant things, so the few seconds spent on declining a card application is not really wasting my time. Now the US Airways thing sounds much worse. I have never had them disturb me about card applications, but I rarely fly US Airways, so maybe that is why. 

Message 8 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never get asked. They just follow me arround the store like I'm going to steal everything. Especially Best Buy. 

Message 9 of 41
Chris679
Established Contributor

I always politely say "no thanks I have enough cards already" and that's the end of it. I did go off on a cashier at Sears once though because she said "it doesn't hurt to apply."
Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.