Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do store employees annoy you?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Do store employees annoy you?

It’s quite simple really. If no one shops at stores with pushy employees brought about by a pushy management, those stores will take notice and stop it to get you back in to make themselves stay in business. That’s the one thing that matters to them.

Message 31 of 41
lukepwnsall
Regular Contributor

I think I might have the best position as a retail employee here.
I work for Target, and I get to Push the Target REDcard. Its not that bad to ask, I simply do a "Would you like to save 5% everytime you shop at target?" and depending on there answer I either shut up or tell them more. Its frustrating tho now with the data breach of 2013 to get someone to sign up, because you have someone who thinks their so smart and thinks that all of targets information was stollen and that signing up for the card will get their identy and SSN stollen. Its quiete frustrating because then you try to infom them that information like that wasnt stollen and then they think your an idiot. I will say I will always continue to ask because the REDcard is a huge part of the business. It drives loyalty to the store and is a huge focus the Store managers are crazy about it and the Front end managers push for it beacsue their raises depend on it. Some targets give small prizes usually like $5 an application or sometimes even upwards of $100 if their doing like a raffle or you play a mini game if you get one. Its a nice bump not having to pay for your lunch all by asking people.

One last note. Getting people to consider the Debit card is almost impossible. People hear the Term REDcard and think... Oh another credit card NOPE! before you tell them its a debit card, and even at that point they still are sometimes so closed minded that they dont consider it. Laslty having to use a check to sign up for it sucks, no one really caries checks around unless they planned on writing one. and at that point the person wont use a debit card becasue they are unsecure comparied to their check. I would say as a shopper I dont get annoyed with going to a store and being asked, but sometimes the customer can be so freaking annoying.

TU 786 (10/23) EQ 794 (10/23) EX 773 (10/23)
Message 32 of 41
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@lukepwnsall wrote:

I work for Target, and I get to Push the Target REDcard. Its not that bad to ask, I simply do a "Would you like to save 5% everytime you shop at target?" and depending on there answer I either shut up or tell them more. Its frustrating tho now with the data breach of 2013 to get someone to sign up, because you have someone who thinks their so smart and thinks that all of targets information was stollen and that signing up for the card will get their identy and SSN stollen. Its quiete frustrating because then you try to infom them that information like that wasnt stollen and then they think your an idiot. I will say I will always continue to ask because the REDcard is a huge part of the business. It drives loyalty to the store and is a huge focus the Store managers are crazy about it and the Front end managers push for it beacsue their raises depend on it. Some targets give small prizes usually like $5 an application or sometimes even upwards of $100 if their doing like a raffle or you play a mini game if you get one. Its a nice bump not having to pay for your lunch all by asking people.

One last note. Getting people to consider the Debit card is almost impossible. People hear the Term REDcard and think... Oh another credit card NOPE! before you tell them its a debit card, and even at that point they still are sometimes so closed minded that they dont consider it. Laslty having to use a check to sign up for it sucks, no one really caries checks around unless they planned on writing one. and at that point the person wont use a debit card becasue they are unsecure comparied to their check. I would say as a shopper I dont get annoyed with going to a store and being asked, but sometimes the customer can be so freaking annoying.

This is how I see a few people phrase the question to apply for the store card, and I always feel like an idiot when I politely decline.

For example:

Employee: Would you like to save 5% everytime you shop at Target?

Me: No thanks.

The context of that irritates the financially savvy part of me. Savings? Bah. Why would I want to save 5% on my bill? That'd be financially smart and I CANT do that. No deal Jack.

unrelated side note, your name doesn't happen to be Alex, does it? Smiley Tongue

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 33 of 41
lukepwnsall
Regular Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

@lukepwnsall wrote:

This is how I see a few people phrase the question to apply for the store card, and I always feel like an idiot when I politely decline.

For example:

Employee: Would you like to save 5% everytime you shop at Target?

Me: No thanks.

The context of that irritates the financially savvy part of me. Savings? Bah. Why would I want to save 5% on my bill? That'd be financially smart and I CANT do that. No deal Jack.

unrelated side note, your name doesn't happen to be Alex, does it? Smiley Tongue

Oh god no.... please no....

But yes that question in itself is such a good phrase to use cause it does drive people bonkers, and at least gets them to really think about 5% savings and see if their other options gets them more.

Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Absolutely not. This doesn't bother me for two main reasons.

1) I don't know much about store credit cards so I like to hear about them if for no other reason than sheer curiosity.

2) I used to work at Books-A-Million, so I know about enormous sales pressure. Books-A-Million offers a membership card for a nominal fee that gives you a 10% discount on all the merchandise in the store for a year. People were fired every month (or at least their hours got cut) for not selling enough discount cards. The pressure is so overwhelming that Books-A-Million was chosen the very worst company in America to work for in 2014-- http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/06/21/americas-worst-companies-to-work-for-3/4/  

The card Itself -- which for the record isn't a credit card -- is actually a pretty good deal for people who shop there at least 5-6 times a year, and we had people who shopped there every week who not only always declined the card, but refused to even let us explain what it did. Of course, they have every right to do this, but their closedmindedness stopped them from saving in some cases more than $100 a year.

deleted

Message 35 of 41
ddemari
Super Contributor

Now a days I rarely find myself being pestered by store clerks, usually because I already have their card. But the number one store where they love to make everything seem ok by applying for a card is Macy's.

When I was 16, my first retail job was Old Navy. The store managers at Old Navy every hour did a computer print out of credit card applications for our store and competing stores in the area. They made us walk around with clipboards, walk up to every single person in the store and go on and on about the old nacy account. They did their best to not refer to it as a credit card but an account. Each employee would get a set number of credit card goals per shift and we didnt even get anything for signing people up, I guess just keeping our job. 

After Old Navy, I worked at J Crew and they were equally as credit card application hungry. I get it, store cards make you shop there more and they don't have to pay the transaction fee. I think its more annoying for the sales clerk to have to bother me about it then me to say no thanks or I have it already lol. 

Message 36 of 41
Victore

No one ever asks me. I may not look credit worthy. lol

Message 37 of 41
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Macy's is pretty pushy. Hubby and I were shopping there using his Macy's credit card a couple of weeks ago.

Saleswoman: Would you like to sign up for a Macy's credit card today?

Me: No thank you, we are using his Macy's card today.

Saleswoman: How about a joint account, want to sign up for a joint account?

Me: ..... No. 

Message 38 of 41
lukepwnsall
Regular Contributor

@Victore wrote:

No one ever asks me. I may not look credit worthy. lol

not gonna lie alot of people do play a sterotype game I occationally do but not to much anymore becasue its unlawlful, you gotta ask each person cant skip someone. so now adays I make sure I ask everyone.

Message 39 of 41
Goblin
Regular Contributor

Annoy?  They're doing their jobs.  Relax and just tell them you're not interested.  They probably don't want to say it as much as you don't want to be asked.

Starting Score: Ex: 495 Eq: 492 Tu: 497
Current Score: Ex: 708 Eq: 716 Tu: 710

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.