Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do store employees annoy you?

tag
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Do store employees annoy you?

I never get asked for store CC's when I'm at a checkout..But there are some stores, Best Buy - "can I help you? can I help you? can I help you..?"

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 21 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never really was annoyed if I was offered to apply for a credit card; before my rebuild I knew I would be denied; now I just say no thank you, I have enough which some are in my sock draw. The one thing that really annoys me is when you go through check out and a cashier doesn’t even acknowledge you because they are too busy talking to a co-worker or when you dine in and the waitress is already under the assumption that you’re not going to be a good tipper because its just my daughter and I, so we don’t receive the best service. Sorry for my rant! But it’s been a heck of day dealing with “customer service”.

When I was in the customer service field I took pride in my job, although I was paid peanuts. I enjoyed interacting; nowadays this has diminished. This woman here has no problem in pointing out there faults when I notice it. Enough of this rant, I wish you all a Happy New Year!

* I think My Fico should have a like button**Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

Nope.  I usually just tell them I already have their card (in most cases I do) but I also respect the fact that this is part of their job in offering it.  I'm sure some employees don't care to ask and inconvenience shoppers with such questions but it is what it is.  If I'm not interested a simple "no thank you but I appreciate the offer" usually does. just fine.

+1 Nice response.

Message 23 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wacdenney wrote:

Went to Macy's recently Christmas shopping and yes it gets annoying.  We stopped at several different counters while in the store and it was the same pitch over and over.  idk, stuff like that just gets on my nerves.  I hate it when they follow me around asking how they can help also.  I just want to shop!  If I need help i'll let you know.

Most store reps never bother me ... I look "mean as a junk yard dog" so they leave me alone Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 41
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

It's not annoying. You can't fault someone for doing their job. I worked in retail and the superviosr push you to ask and trust me they know if you ask or not. They'll stop customers to see if you were asked. 

Message 25 of 41
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Whenever you find yourself at the check-out of Macy's, Home Goods, Gamestop, Best Buy, Victoria's Secret, etc, do the store employees annoy you about signing up for their credit cards? 

I went to a Best Buy store yesterday for a multi-purchase for the house we are moving into, and he only once pointed out the Best Buy card. When I declined, he politely skipped right past it.

I can’t believe all the discounts that were provided. Sales price was $110 off on the refrigerator, $75 on the washer and $85 on the dryer. A bundle savings for three  applicances or more translating into free delivery and installation. 5% in-store discount. Airline points on the credit card. Residential rebate with the electricity company for energy saver appliances. The list goes on and on.

@DrZoidberg wrote:

It's not annoying. You can't fault someone for doing their job. I worked in retail and the superviosr push you to ask and trust me they know if you ask or not. They'll stop customers to see if you were asked. 

Store customers are far more annoying than store employees are. People go totally crazy during the holiday season. They drive in the opposite direction in one-way mall parking lot aisles, and when  asked whether they know, you get that what did I ever do to you look back. These are people who have been approached again and again and know all too well.

The same thing goes for people who block their cart smack in the middle of aisles in say Costco, effectively blocking the traffic flow around them just so they can grab a sample, if not several, and not get out of the way when they are done.

I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with annoying customers.

Message 26 of 41
barbaralee
Established Contributor

No, I don't get annoyed, they are just doing their job. 

I am with the above poster, I get more annoyed with other customers than the sales reps. 

Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nah not at all! I used to have to do it, I just smile and say no thank you! I mean somebody has to do it, working with the public is not an easy job at all! No sense in making their job harder than what it can be
Message 28 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am bothered by the store employees pushing the cards but having been one I understand they have to, that said usually they have no understanding of how credit or their store card works and it irritates me. I was burned by Macy's and Filenes cards while in college for different reasons.  I had screwed up my own credit but I paid these off and closed them in good faith the amounts told me on the day they were closed.  I paid Filennes off in store while on the phone with their credit department, Filennes never sent me another bill but a year later sent me to collections for daily incurred interest for the day i closed the account (about $2 initially and about $400 before i even knew it existed) and Macy's cashed a check I sent them to close my account for over $300 more than it was written causing my checking to overdraw and a bunch of checks to bounce.  It was completely taken care of by my bank eventually but it was a lot of work. 

I made a complaint at khols about a cashier who harassed a girl in line in front of me in line to apply.  She said "it can't hurt," she also said to the girl to lie about her income for a better limit, the girl was clearly really uncomfortable and just wanted to buy her like $12 worth of stuff and leave.  I do not think the girl was even 18, she was declined.  I left the store went to my car and called the manager, I didn't know the cashiers name just which register she was on, the manager knew exactly who it was and told me they had multiple complaints. I gathered from the conversation that they are spiffing for applications, as many retail places do.

I work in commission sales and we have credit available, which we offer but do not push, sometimes it is a really good offer like 50, 65, or 72 months 0% interest on $3000 or $5000+.  Customers drive me crazy.  Yes everyone is just looking, I am required to greet you and discuss the current promotion with you and I am stuck with you as my customer for the entire time you are in my store. That doesnt mean I am going to follow you or harass you, but I know about my product so if you have questions or are looking for something specific say so, otherwise you are wasting both of our time.  I am not allowed to take another customer unless there are more customers than salespeople in the store, which is rare. If you are interested in our credit program say so, I would be happy to inform you on how it works, I have read the paperwork on it, I do know the details of the offer.  We are not spiffed for credit applications, but since it is a commission job the more one spends the more I make. I want the customer to get the right thing, I want them to be happy and I do not want them to return their purchase (which I get docked for), or bad mouth us, or have a bad experience. 

Message 29 of 41
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

I used to work at Sears (the call center), but I had friends who worked at the front counter. They got paid peanuts hourly, and the majority of their money came on selling protection agreements for appliances and signing people up for CC's at the counter. And, yes, they were pushy. But they had to be, unless they wanted to get more than ~$250/week.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.