cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you believe your credit score is "everything"?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you believe your credit score is "everything"?

My credit scores aren't everything, but they do influence my life.  I'd probably be applying for a few more credit cards if I knew that my credit scores wouldn't suffer. 
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My credit scores aren't everything, but they do influence my life. I'd probably be applying for a few more credit cards if I knew that my credit scores wouldn't suffer.

Holy cow Batman....you have awesome scores!!!!! Someday when I grow up I am going to have scores like those!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 12 of 23
n2win
Regular Contributor

I look at the credit scoring as a game, with rules unstated, you figure them out by trial and error (and this forum!)

My objective is to get my score as high as possible when I need it for my financial benefit, and then I have beat them at their game ...otherwise I don't care about it, nor discuss it...

I basically think it's all bs manipulation, but def has ramifications financially. 

I can play it, doesn't mean I "buy into" it Smiley Wink
Goal: acquire and use Credit Cards, scores in the 700's in 2009
05/04/08 FICOS: EQ = 626; TU = 636: EX = 623
06/21/09 FICOS: EQ = 692; TU = 729; EX = 731 (CCT FAKO)
10/03/11 FICO EQ = 722 (CCT EQ = 749)
Message 13 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@n2win wrote:

I look at the credit scoring as a game, with rules unstated, you figure them out by trial and error (and this forum!)

My objective is to get my score as high as possible when I need it for my financial benefit, and then I have beat them at their game ...otherwise I don't care about it, nor discuss it...

I basically think it's all bs manipulation, but def has ramifications financially.

I can play it, doesn't mean I "buy into" it Smiley Wink

Great post, n2win!

I like the math of the scoring process. It's a giant logic puzzle for me, with deeply ill-defined rules! I'm working on my secret decoder ring.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 23
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@n2win wrote:

My objective is to get my score as high as possible when I need it for my financial benefit, and then I have beat them at their game ...otherwise I don't care about it, nor discuss it...

I can play it, doesn't mean I "buy into" it Smiley Wink

Great post, n2win!

I like the math of the scoring process. It's a giant logic puzzle for me, with deeply ill-defined rules! I'm working on my secret decoder ring.

You guys have hit the nail on the head for me.  The whole FICO scoring thing is just like a logic puzzle and I'm a sucker for a good logic puzzle.  It's exciting and addictive and there's so much to learn about how to play the game.

For poor DH it's been a depressing nightmare, but for me I'm just getting started learning about the process and I'm enjoying the challenge.  In the past 3 weeks DH's score has risen by 27 points and he has plenty more room for improvement.  He has to wait until 2010 for his BK7 to drop off, but by then I think he'll be sitting pretty and hopefully he'll start realizing that the majority of the world see him for himself and don't see his FICO score when they look at him.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 15 of 23
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I always say: saving money is more important than credit scores!
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amen, Marty!

A score is just a number. I consider myself to be in credit-recovery. It will take me a couple of years for all the derog's to get off my report. I am content. I wish I could qualify for some uber-prime cc's out there so that I could benefit from the uber-rewards. Until then I'm going to sit back and enjoy life. Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 23
LouMinotti
Regular Contributor

In my trusty online concordance, I find this from the book of revelation:

CH13V17 "....so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. 18 This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let
him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666."

Now being as how I can't quite shake off my parochial upbringing, and being as how we are living in interesting times...I can't help but wonder about this three digit number all of us have been given--without our consent--and how we can't buy or sell anything without it. Now I'm not saying all of us who have a fico score are the anti-Christ, however I find it a bit unsettling that we are conditioned to believe that this all important three digit number is the be-all end-all of a decent existence on this planet. I can easily see even myself becoming a slave to this number as it is CRUCIAL to my son that he get his college education at this time. For me? I could care less, I don't believe in buying things unless I can pay for them with cash. I don't think home ownership is all what its cracked up to be, and I have owned and sold 2 homes and financed five cars in my 46 years. I've been rich, I've been poor. Both have its joys and sorrows.

And add in the fact that we give SCORES to human beings in the first place...I dunno, if there is a God, I don't think He'd attribute Holiness to this practice. But that's just me. I hope my post doesn't get removed. ;-)
July 08 FICO TU/683 EQ/629 EX/658
Goal: 700+ by June 09
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Message 18 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@LouMinotti wrote:

..... I hope my post doesn't get removed. ;-)

Since this is SmorgasBoard, there's a fair amount of flexibility. But we do ask that members refrain from getting into areas that tend to stir up a lot of back-and-forthing that leads to outright screaming. From Barry's post up at the top:
We hope you enjoy the SmorgasBoard and that you'll come back again and again.

To maintain the spirit of friendliness and support that makes the FICO Forums the kind of place we've come to value, please be respectful of others by avoiding references to certain topics that might be offensive or hurtful. These topics include, but are not limited to, the mention of:

* Race
* Nationality
* Sex
* Religion
* Politics

Thanks for contributing positively to the FICO Forums. Now have at it!

Barry

Most of us have found that we kind of enjoy the laid-back atmosphere here, barring the occasional raging debates about AmEx financial reviews and FICO's-vs-FAKO's, lol. Hope that helps.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 23
Client9
Regular Contributor

for it is man's number. His number is 666.

Does anyone else have Iron Maiden going through their heads now?
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.