Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have debit card/s?

tag
megaman1
Regular Contributor

Do you have debit card/s?

I'm beginning to use credit cards a lot more, but I'm still hanging onto my debit card because not all places take CCs. Do you do the same? Why or why not?
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do you have debit card/s?

The only reason I still carry my debit card is incase I need the cash desperately, which has yet to happen. Its in the back of my wallet where all the spiderwebs are.

Carrying it now is more of a precaution for me. I doubt I'll use it more than two or three times next year. 

Im not aware of any places around me that refuse CC's.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 2 of 28
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@megaman1 wrote:
I'm beginning to use credit cards a lot more, but I'm still hanging onto my debit card because not all places take CCs. Do you do the same? Why or why not?

Keep it to get cash at work, cafeteria is cash only, don't ask me why... I work for a large tech company.

The other use is to get cash at bars, small noisey bars and credit card tabs aren't a good mix, cards get returned to the wrong person,  drinks placed on the wrong bill, when the $20 or $40 is done, time to leave.

For a while last year my Debit card was expired for 3 months didn't even notice it until an ATM declined it when I knew there was over a grand in the account, and the new one had been misplaced, had the bank send a new one,

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 28
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Have had one since 2010 (I have two different accounts at my bank) and only really use it to pay my phone bill with. Otherwise I pay for things with cash or credit cards.

Message 4 of 28
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I blow the dust off mine, primarily when I need to use the ATM for deposits earlier than the bank opening hours (I have screwed up hours).
I stopped carrying it a long time ago, and prefer the coverage/liability of using a CC, instead of a direct link to my accounts. For cash, I just use the ring/discover cards, either at a grocery "cash over," or an actual ATM (ring) for just a buck fee, plus whatever ATM fee is involved for "non banking member usage."

Message 5 of 28
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Yes I have my Citi Debit card and Discover Debit card, Discover gives .10 cents back on every transaction so if they dont accepy discover then MC it is.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 28
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

I still keep my Chase Debit for the ATM access, however, I will be applying for a Sapphire in January.

QUESTION:  Will my new Sapphire card operate just like the Debit card, allowing me to make deposits to my checking account ?

- Or is it a completely different type of account, which would still require me to carry the ATM-Debit card ??

Message 7 of 28
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I almost feel ashamed to say that Discover debit I never even used (cannot even say if it works) and the BofA I use only at ATMs if I need some cash.... I pay everything with CC as I hate coins Smiley Embarassed

Message 8 of 28
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

I had stopped carrying my debit until the time I went to the ATM to get money and remembered that it was at home.

Now I keep it in my wallet.
EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 9 of 28
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@megaman1 wrote:

I use my credit card 95% of the time, But I do carry my debit card which I use at random times when I don't feel like making a purchase with the credit card.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.