Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have debit card/s?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Do you have debit card/s?

Only debit card I use is Discover, where it rewards 10 cents for each purchase.  I'll use it when a purchase is below $1.

Message 11 of 28
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Have chase and BOA debit, but use neither.

100% spend on CC.

That being said, I do carry both daily when I do my morning rides JUST in case I get a flat or something I can't fix and need to call a cab and they don't accept CC's, I can have them swing by a ATM for cash.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 12 of 28
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

I still use my Debit card, priamarly for: 

ATM usage 

Small Card Insight Transactions (i.e where I swipe my own card, or the Cashier does it and the card doesn't leave my sight).

Everything else goes on a Credit Card.  

Message 13 of 28
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

I only use my debit card to take money out of the ATM once a month.  We've been doing cash only for everything except for bills and at the gas station (use cash back credit card for gas that gets paid off each month) for about 6 months now.  We've been spending a lot less money doing this.  We mostly did this because hubby just spends.  He knows there is always plenty in the bank so he doesn't care.  It took him a couple of months to adjust to it, but he likes it now.  Anything left in the checking account at the end of the month, goes into the savings and we start all over again.

Message 14 of 28
negg
Frequent Contributor

My debit card expired on 11-30-13. I've never activated the new card. Shows how much I use it. 

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 15 of 28
minhasandrew
Established Member

I still keep my Chase Debit for the ATM access, however, I will be applying for a Sapphire in January.

QUESTION:  Will my new Sapphire card operate just like the Debit card, allowing me to make deposits to my checking account ?

- Or is it a completely different type of account, which would still require me to carry the ATM-Debit card ??

No you cant use your sapphire to deposit into your checking 

Chase Freedom 1K, Chase Sapphire (non preferred) 5K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 5K, AMEX Gold Premier NPSL, AMEX Blue Cash 2600, Capital One Journey 1K.
Message 16 of 28
Stralem
Established Contributor

I keep my debit card on me just in case I ever have to pull some cash from the ATM. I never use it to pay for anything directly.

I used to be exclusively credit/debit, but having a lot of Japanese friends, I started getting into the habit of carrying at least $20 on me at all times.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 17 of 28
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

I do carry a business debit  but my personal debit card never leaves my sockdrawer

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 18 of 28
k-s
Regular Contributor

I carry it, but only for emergency cash withdrawals or drive thru ATM deposits. Never use it for transactions. Everyone around me accepts at least Visa & MC CCs.
EQ MyFICO: 719 - Discover It TU FICO: 749 - EX 728
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 19 of 28
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I only use it to get cash from ATM and deposit at the ATM. I use rewards CCs for all transactions in stores that take CC's. CC's have more protection than debit cards.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.