cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does saving money feel like pouring water in to a bucket with holes?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Increasing dollar inflation. Smiley Sad

My emergency savings are worth less than I started with.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Does saving money feel like pouring water in to a bucket with holes?

I'm maxing out my retirement ($20,500/ year, as I'm over 50), and the balance is lower than when I started maxing last year. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

All I can tell myself is that I sure have a lot of shares, if and when the markets start to recover.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am kicking a major chunk of $ each month into savings and retirement accounts (IRA's)  - the kids UGMA's have been doing quite well even in the wild market- so they are still OK.

I have made some very wise investments and pulled back on most of the mutual funds -

Made 11K+ on my last 20K investment in 3 months-

Message Edited by Timothy on 09-13-2008 04:07 PM
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

HTSU- we really need to talk about your investments- I am not a securities dealer anymore- by that type of loss is unacceptable.

Maybe start playing with a few selected stocks or options.
Message 4 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I am kicking a major chunk of $ each month into savings and retirement accounts (IRA's) - the kids UGMA's have been doing quite well even in the wild market- so they are still OK.

I have made some very wise investments and pulled back on most of the mutual funds -

Made 11K+ on my last 20K investment in 3 months-

I need a smiley for "weak smile."

Congrats, though. I'm reasonably sure that I would have screwed myself up pretty badly if I had gone with individual stocks.

They'll be back. It's not like I was going to retire early or anything.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not your whole portfolio- a few thousand in a seperate invetment account and research (you seem very good at that) and buy some stock in the company. 

With option you can also Buy if you think it will go up or buy if it will go down.  

Message 6 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You have no idea how terrifying that sounds. But I will attempt to pull myself together and get with you --thanks!
Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I'm maxing out my retirement ($20,500/ year, as I'm over 50), and the balance is lower than when I started maxing last year. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

All I can tell myself is that I sure have a lot of shares, if and when the markets start to recover.

Whoa, my bad, or rather, my good. I had to go back and look again, and I had pulled up the wrong figures a while back. I'm in better shape than that, but it's not great. Net increase of around $27K, with about $32K of my contributions plus matching that have gone in so far.

So a loss, but not an outrageous loss.

I think I had fixated on that great spike we had a while back. Smiley Tongue
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.