Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drugs are bad. Don't try them!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Drugs are bad. Don't try them!

This get legally technical. When they asked me to sign papers for sedation I said NO I refuse to get put out. I thought that was enough. Well they are claiming they never put me out. They said what they did to me was "conscious sedation" not "anesthesia". That's just twisted. Over 10mg of Versed as fast as they could pump it in, I think I was technically out!

However I was very specific with the doctor and nurse. I said NO to the very drug they were giving me. Doctor said to me no drugs unless you ask me for them and only the amount you ask me to give you. I did not ask. I'm kind of small at 130 lbs. 10+mg of Versed in my IV line hit me like a tun of bricks. I was sleeping after 1 mg, why 9+ more? Not through out the entire procedure but as fast as they could.

It gets worst but I will leave it at this. When ever you go in to a hospital or outpatient center not only write on all papers what you don't want but list all the possibilities of anything that might happen like a legal contract and say no to them as well. Also list any medications that you will receive and "how much" of a dose you will get and exclude all others no exceptions. Also make them write that they can not exceed a specific dose added up through out your procedure to prevent overdose. Smiley Sad Skipping paperwork is not good enough, but have the paper work stating not allowed. This way it is very clear. Had I had that this could have been avoided because the doc could not have legally gotten away with this and probably would not have done it. But seriously my situation has to be uncommon right?

Message 31 of 34
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think it's generally uncommon, mainly because very few people refuse drugs. Smiley Very Happy But it does sound like a mell of a hess.

Conscious sedation is what you got, although it sounds like it took a ton to get you down and keep you down. (This does happen with some people.) The difference (being really general here) between cs and anesthesia is that with conscious sedation, you can still "protect your airway" --in other words, you don't forget to breathe, you don't inhale saliva or vomit or anything else that's in your mouth, and so you don't need intubation. With general anesthesia, you have to be intubated and more closely monitored in other ways.

So you got Versed, huh? What a lot of centers use now is something called propofol (Diprivan), which is a quick-down, quick-up sedative. It doesn't block pain, but you don't remember it afterwards, if there was any. No opiates, so no pukiness and other hangover afterwards. (And no buzz either, alas.) When I had it, my eyes snapped open 5 minutes afterwards, and I never went through that drifty-floaty stage. And by golly, after 48 hours of Gatorade and other hideous unpleasantnesses, I was ready to eat. Got dressed and went home. DH drove, although I could have. (shh, don't tell the docs)

When you were saying "no sedatives, no sedatives", didn't they explain that you pretty much have to be sedated for many procedures? Your body doesn't appreciate having odd things happen to it, and it will fight back.

I suppose I might have had kind of the opposite experience. When I broke my wrist about 15 years ago, they tried doing just a cast, but everything kept shifting around, so they had to pin it percutaneously. Day surgery with general anesthesia (thank God -- I didn't want the sandbag thing while awake again.) When I woke up, I didn't have any memory of the surgery, but I gradually realized that I had dried tears on my face, and my abdominal muscles ached as if I had been clenching them, and I realized that I had dug the fingernails on my good hand into my palm, as if I had been clenching my fist, and one nail was broken. The bruises and indentations lasted for a good long while.This might have occurred when I was coming back up after anesthesia, but I always wondered if I came up during surgery and they had to take me back down again.

Anesthesia (and sedation) is a delicate art, and they have to tweak it as they go. But your experience definitely sounds like a how-no-to.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 32 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doc called me today. I asked him why I was drugged? He said that I said stop/no and they stopped and was given nothing else after that. Acted dumb. Well I have copies of my chart. I told him well I was drugged well after I said stop/no. He stuck to his story that they did not try to give me drugs after that. I read off my chart to him and he started to get pretty flustered. He refused to discuss it. He admitted he heard me say stop/no. Isn't that something.
Message 33 of 34
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, there are a lot of technicalities. I do not know what you try to achieve, but I think if you go to court you'll lose.Better course of action IMHO is to file reports with JHACO, State Health Comissioner, and licensing authorities (nursing and MD).
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.