Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economy slapping my family now....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Economy slapping my family now....

Dh just got a call to see if he would volunteer to take tonight off from work because there is not enough work....scary! Of course he said no but if they don't get some volunteers they will be crewing people out no matter what. I am getting really nervous now....he works at a plant that makes potatoe chips etc. It may be a rough winter for us as well as alot of others out there. Gee I was hoping that even if times got rough people would still want their junk food!! LOL!!!! 
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
mymoneynow
Regular Contributor

Re: Economy slapping my family now....

I sympathize with you. My DH is a food distributor also dealing in "junk food" or snack products. His territory was reduced along with his commission rate of pay this month, over $5000 cut in pay.

We always thought the food industry was one of the safest jobs to have in a bad economy- people have to eat!

However, I guess we were not right. People are looking for the most inexpensive snack items when they do buy snacks now. Price over Taste has won out.

It is definitely scary for everyone.

Established Contributor

Well, not much safer in the Public Sector.  I work for a county and there is a rumor going around about a 1 week unpaid furlough Christmas week.  Makes some sense (three paychecks in January, good time to take off) but not much notice.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear this. If it helps at all, I single-handedly almost ate a whole bag of chips for lunch. Smiley Surprised
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Boss just told me the other day that I was going to need to take some un-paid time off because - get this - some other woman is out of work to do and she wants to give HER  MY work to do!

My boss didn't come up with it on her own. She had to do it because  the woman complains 7 out of the 8 hours we are at work that" It isn't fair that AmyBoo has more stuff to do than me, it isn't fair that AmyBoo never gets sent home early.. it isn't fair... it isn't fair... it isn't fair...."

OY!

BUT! It is all ok with me and as long as she doesn't cut more than 3 or 4 hours a week from my schedule I am fine with it. Im going to use the time off productivly and turn the situation to be in my favor. I'm going to use it to do all those things that you can't normally get done without asking for time off  but don't ever want to ask for the time to do.  I will now have plenty of time to get my christmas shopping, present wrapping and Thanksgiving preparing done with out stress!

I give the lady about 2 weeks before it isn't fair that I am enjoying my time off. Smiley Tongue

But I do feel horrible for those of you who will be hit financially by this un- asked for, unpaid time off. 4 years ago when I was still single - just knowing that I MIGHT have to take some unpaid time off would have made me so nervous. I am very very lucky to have someone to help now.

Message Edited by AmyBoo on 11-20-2008 06:15 PM
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm sorry to hear this. If it helps at all, I single-handedly almost ate a whole bag of chips for lunch. Smiley Surprised

LOL!!!! Well I made sure last night that I kept some poor worker at the Oreo cookie plant in a job!! Now I hope those were name brand chips you ate!  No Generic Chips people!! LOL!  I heard beer production is up right now...gee I can see why! 

Message 6 of 18
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

DH is munching on a bag of chips as we speak....no generics for him.  It's a sad day when people stop eating potato chips.
Message 7 of 18
mymoneynow
Regular Contributor

Name brand chips are the BEST!

No greasy, cardboard tasting generics should go in anyone's mouth. You get what you pay for, so you may as well buy the good ones!

Eat more snacks, they make you happy!Smiley Very Happy  

Moderator Emeritus

UpUpUp wrote:
I just clogged an artery reading this. Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I could say I inhaled potato chips, but my favorite snack is still a "whole" pecan pie!

edited for spelling 

Message Edited by miahmarie on 11-21-2008 03:22 PM
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.