Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever run a toll plaza with a rental?

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ever run a toll plaza with a rental?

I was navigating Orlando's roadways in a rented Suburban for most of past week. I was careful to pay the tolls. Unfortunately I missed on. Wasn't paying attention and couldn't get over in time out of the express lanes.

I didn't tell Avis when I returned it this morning and they didn't say anything to me. Has anyone ever been caught in a situation where you didn't pay a toll in a rental and had your picture taken? Did the rental company ever find out?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ever run a toll plaza with a rental?

@llecs wrote:

I was navigating Orlando's roadways in a rented Suburban for most of past week. I was careful to pay the tolls. Unfortunately I missed on. Wasn't paying attention and couldn't get over in time out of the express lanes.

I didn't tell Avis when I returned it this morning and they didn't say anything to me. Has anyone ever been caught in a situation where you didn't pay a toll in a rental and had your picture taken? Did the rental company ever find out?

"Mr. llecs this is the Florida Highway Patrol. We need you to come back to Florida as soon as possible to discuss a very serious matter."

Message 2 of 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

No dobut, they have a picture of the license plate.  The state will probably bill the rental company.  The rental company will probably check their rental records and bill you.

Of course, people are not immune tol geting parking tickets, toll violations, etc just because they are in rental cars.  I don't think the rental company takes the loss here.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think I'm immune either and recall seing a couple of posts within these forums for unpaid tickets, etc., from rentals. Crossing fingers though. 

Message 4 of 12
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Well, thankfully in Florida, they will just send you the bill now.

They used to just send you a ticket. But if you call I believe to square it up.

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_tollviolations.cfm

If you are driving a rental car and missed a toll:

If you have traveled through a SunPass-only lane and were driving a rental vehicle at the time of the missed toll, please contact the rental car company directly to report the missed toll and to learn their policy on toll violations. 

If you would still like to make a payment for the missed toll you may send a check or money order for the amount of the toll to FDOT Turnpike Enterprise, P.O. Box 310, Ocoee, FL, 34761.   Please be sure to:

• Write the tag number of the vehicle on the payment. The tag number can be located on the rental agreement.
  • Keep proof of payment (copy of the mailed check, the cleared check, or the money order receipt) as this will assist in the event a violation is generated.
  • Please be aware that under Florida law, violations are issued to the registered owner of the vehicle, in this case, the rental car company, so the company may still receive an unpaid toll notice if your payment crosses in the mail with the notice mailed to the rental car company. In the event that charges are assessed, the charges will be from the rental car company, not from Florida’s Turnpike. You will need to contact the rental car company directly for resolution if this occurs.
  • Please include a self addressed stamped envelope if a receipt will be requested.

If you have not signed up for PlatePass(R),Pass24(R), E-Toll, or TollPass program with your rental agency, you need to contact that agency immediately to resolve the issue. If you have signed up for PlatePass(R),Pass24(R), E-Toll, or TollPass program, the rental agency will identify the rental vehicle by the license plate and use that information to electronically collect the toll. Rental agencies will assess the fees agreed to in your rental agreement to collect the toll.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 12
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

when i lived in florida i blew a few of them without paying. never anything happened. a good friend of mine is a state trooper and i asked him and he said they do allow warnings but that was about 3 yrs ago. it might be different now. i do believe you can log on to the state and pay for the toll. i thought i read somewhere when i visited last summer on how to pay a toll you missed

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 6 of 12
marty56
Super Contributor

Report the car as having been temporally stolen.

Did you return the car that day.  If so say it wasn't you.

If you rented it that day, say it was during the test drive so it is the rental companies fault.

Report someone stole your CC and used it and charged the rental car and several other purchaes you made with it.

Or you could do what I would and contact the rental company and the state.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@marty56 wrote:

Report the car as having been temporally stolen.

Did you return the car that day.  If so say it wasn't you.

If you rented it that day, say it was during the test drive so it is the rental companies fault.

Report someone stole your CC and used it and charged the rental car and several other purchaes you made with it.

Or you could do what I would and contact the rental company and the state.

There were mysterious lights in the area that day...extraterrestrial connection?

No, I'll own up to this one if there's a ticket. I had talked to a few locals and they advised to hold off. They said that tourists unknowingly run through the tolls all the time and that the state will ignore the first couple. I'll believe that if I don't hear anything, but that's where my faith is at now.

Message 8 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Moral of the story, stay out of orlando. The tolls there are ridiculous. Smiley Very Happy Half the toll booths in orlando aren't toll booths anyways, they just take the whole road with a big metal thing on top filled with the sunpass sensors and they have one booth off to the side. My mom used to always get distracted and drive through the sunpass lanes by accident and nothing ever happened. 

Message 9 of 12
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

jsucool76 wrote:  My mom used to always get distracted and drive through the sunpass lanes by accident and nothing ever happened. 

Yeah, but your Mom is cool!  We're still waiting on the verdict for llecs...

(Pause....)

Verdict is in.  llecs is also cool.

llecs, light up a doobie and grab a slice, wash it down with a Sam Adams and relax. 

"No tickets for you, one year".  (attribution: Ticket Nazi).

Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.