And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo-bee

Oh sha sha-we got to live together

There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks
Oh sha sha-

I am everyday people.

Sly and the Family Stone, 1969

http://www.imeem.com/people/oOporH/music/HGbtI5u4/sly_the_family_stone_everyday_people/

Sunday morning, about 8 miles from my home, a guy who had gone through five wives and couldn't keep a job walked into a local church where the congregation was bracing itself for a children's performance of "Annie" and opened up with a sawed-off shotgun. His four-page letter left in his Ford Escape blamed liberals, gays and lesbians, blacks, minorities in general, Democrats, and the State of Tennessee, which had just reduced his food stamps, for his inability to keep a job, and according to his neighbors, he also had issues with fundamentalist Christians. Two are dead, another 7 injured. Four are still in the hospital. The shooter is fine, although he had apparently been hoping for a cop-assisted suicide. Six of the nine victims were in their 60's and 70's, including the two that he murdered.

The last three days have been pretty painful in my "scruffy little city", as the New York Times once called us. We're all going through the "this sort of thing doesn't happen here" bit. Except that it did. We're all kind of muddling through, each of us in our own way.

If any of you who read this sad sort of news wonder what on earth to do, I hope that you'll do something kinda dumb and basic: when you go out the next time on your daily business, I hope you'll give a smile to someone who might not normally be part of your group. Someone with way too many tattoos, or dreadlocks, or a Confederate flag t-shirt, or black lipstick and nail polish, or a W bumper sticker, or someone who appears gay, or has an accent, or a woman in a hijab, or a man in a yarmulke, or some kids bouncing their low-rider, or a blue one, or a green one. Or whatever. I'm not naive enough to think that this will cure the world, but we have to start somewhere.

And I hope that your community doesn't have to go through anything like this. There is just no way to describe what it's like.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
LouMinotti
Regular Contributor

Re: Everyday People

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
the next time on your daily business, I hope you'll give a smile to someone who might not normally be part of your group. Someone with way too many tattoos, or dreadlocks, or a Confederate flag t-shirt, or black lipstick and nail polish, or a W bumper sticker, or someone who appears gay, or has an accent, or a woman in a hijab, or a man in a yarmulke, or some kids bouncing their low-rider, or a blue one, or a green one.

And I hope that your community doesn't have to go through anything like this. There is just no way to describe what it's like.

Well done.

Having personally witnessed a victim of the Maryland Sniper back in 2002 moments after the crime (less than a mile from my home), and having to experience that whole ordeal for over a month with my children in school and worrying to death about their welfare while I worked, I can totally sympathize with what you all are going through.
Prayers for healing and understanding going out to your community. . .
July 08 FICO TU/683 EQ/629 EX/658
Goal: 700+ by June 09
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Message 2 of 35
Trishco
Frequent Contributor

Sending prayers.
Message 3 of 35
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Prayers for your community.  I couldn't read the story when it hit the news (online) It happens far too frequently and saddens me for all involved. I just don't understand.Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 35
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Praise the Lord................and pass the ammunition.

Guns for everyone. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't there recently a thread on this board about how proud everyone is of their guns, how many they have, etc? I read just a few posts, just enough to make me shake my heaad in amazement.

How many stories like this one do we read about every year? How many kids now settle their disputes with guns? How many guns "accidentally" discharge and someone is mained or killed?

Yeah, I know.......guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Yeah, I know.........your 2nd amendment rights.  

Message Edited by cobra19 on 07-30-2008 06:57 AM

Message Edited by cobra19 on 07-30-2008 06:59 AM
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 5 of 35
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@cobra19 wrote:

Wasn't there recently a thread on this board about how proud everyone is of their guns, how many they have, etc? I read just a few posts, just enough to make me shake my heaad in amazement.

How many stories like this one do we read about every year? How many kids now settle their disputes with guns? How many guns "accidentally" discharge and someone is mained or killed?

Inanimate object. Psychos like this guy are the reason I have to carry one.

I'm sorry for people who died in TN HTSU. There is simply no reason to take aggression out on innocent people like that. It boggles my mind.
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 35
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

cobra19 wrote:

If guns become illegal in this great country, then he would find a way to find one illegally (not to mention this was an illegal weapon - no law would have stopped him from using it).

If no guns cannot be found, then a large knife, axe, or machette would have sufficed (look at the recent mass school stabbings in Asia and Europe).

If all knives are illegal, then he could have used a car and rammed the church (recent case of that here for a custody issue).

Ban cars? Why not? He could have then made some sort of explosive device. You get the point.

I'm straying here, but this nut-job was determined to make his mark. He would have found some way to kill people in this church. There is any number of a hundred ways to accomplish his motive. The gun didn't kill the people, he did. If he used a knife, would we have said the knife killed the people? A car? A bomb? No, he did it.

So, who is to blame? The gun manufacturer? No, he is. And the people around him if they knew he posed a threat to others or mentioned pending harm to others.

Message 7 of 35
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@LouMinotti wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
the next time on your daily business, I hope you'll give a smile to someone who might not normally be part of your group. Someone with way too many tattoos, or dreadlocks, or a Confederate flag t-shirt, or black lipstick and nail polish, or a W bumper sticker, or someone who appears gay, or has an accent, or a woman in a hijab, or a man in a yarmulke, or some kids bouncing their low-rider, or a blue one, or a green one.

Well done.

Having personally witnessed a victim of the Maryland Sniper back in 2002 moments after the crime (less than a mile from my home), and having to experience that whole ordeal for over a month with my children in school and worrying to death about their welfare while I worked, I can totally sympathize with what you all are going through.
Prayers for healing and understanding going out to your community. . .

Ditto on the snipers. DW and MIL were in the parking lot of the Home Depot in Falls Church just a few minutes before they killed a FBI agent there. I remember seeing the flash on TV and my heart missed a few beats.

It later came out that they sat in a parking lot across the street for a few hours thinking about who to shoot next.
Message 8 of 35
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I was on the soapbox for a bit too long. It wasn't anything specific you said Cobra, but it was the parts that make a whole that set me off.

I don't think we had problems like this 100 years ago. Or at least not to this level. When we took Him out of society, we began the great societal decine. When we placed self over all others, things soured. When we promote movies that say it is OK to kill people (Natural Born Killers or Kill Bill), we began to see more incidents of violence. When we place more blame on the environment (bullies?) of the Columbine shooters than the shooters themselves, why should we expect things to change?

Message Edited by llecs on 07-30-2008 10:57 AM
Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:

If any of you who read this sad sort of news wonder what on earth to do, I hope that you'll do something kinda dumb and basic: when you go out the next time on your daily business, I hope you'll give a smile to someone who might not normally be part of your group. Someone with way too many tattoos, or dreadlocks, or a Confederate flag t-shirt, or black lipstick and nail polish, or a W bumper sticker, or someone who appears gay, or has an accent, or a woman in a hijab, or a man in a yarmulke, or some kids bouncing their low-rider, or a blue one, or a green one. Or whatever. I'm not naive enough to think that this will cure the world, but we have to start somewhere.

Wonderful post, HTSU.

Everyone should read the above paragraph again.  And again.

This is not about the gun debate, which has been rehashed on this forum ad nauseum.  Please let's not get caught up in that old fight and end up losing sight of her point.

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.