Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favorite Part of the Turkey

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Favorite Part of the Turkey

@Junejer wrote:

I love hot food, but hot food doesn't necessarily love me back.

Terrible.  We grow hot peppers, buy hot peppers, freeze hot peppers and dry hot peppers  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 11 of 24
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I envy those who can eat it and not feel like there is a lit match coming out the next day. My DS#2 and DD#2 both love the hot stuff and are willing to put up with the repercussions the next day. As for the rest of us, we pass.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 24
marty56
Super Contributor

@Junejer wrote:
I love hot food, but hot food doesn't necessarily love me back. You can keep the pepperjack and horsey cheese. It's not worth it the next day.

There are some good peppers that have a lot of flavour and low heat that you might like.  Poblanos can be mild to medium hot have great flavor and you usually dont suffer from eaters remorse.  Fresno pepper are also mild to medium.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 24
marty56
Super Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

Terrible.  We grow hot peppers, buy hot peppers, freeze hot peppers and dry hot peppers

Me and DW grow about 8 kinds of peppers.

I'm going to check these people out:

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/hot_peppers.htm

http://www.pepperjoe.com/cgi-bin/web_store/Library/web_store.pl?page=seeds.html&cart_id=6111861_3086...

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 14 of 24
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I get a bubbly stomach just thinking about it LOL.

MidnightVoice wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

I love hot food, but hot food doesn't necessarily love me back.

Terrible.  We grow hot peppers, buy hot peppers, freeze hot peppers and dry hot peppers  Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:
Cold white meat, Piccalilli and cheese

Piccalilli!! It's been so long since I've possessed  jar of that stuff... now you've got me wanting some. And I strongly suspect my local Kroger doesn't stock it, even in the "foreign" aisle that contains Heinz Baked Beans and PG Tips and Marmite.

Anyway. I like sandwiches made of chunks of leftover white meat, stuffing and a ton of mayo. On wholegrain bread. Yum.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did someone say Turkey??

I like to wake up in the middle of the night head to the kitchen and eat it cold and share with my bulldog (abby). It drives my wife crazy when i feed her that way..

Message 17 of 24
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

I've got a stuffed bird in the oven today.  Yes, two days "late."  We had dinner with friends Thursday and had a ball, but DD and I want our traditional stuffing and sandwiches. 

The house is clean, the bird is in the oven, it smells like holiday - again. 

We've changed things over the years, since our family-by-birth is distant and we can't usually go for such a short period of time.  Traditions develop and change. 

The question now is: What do you do with the leftovers?  Recipes?  Anyone?

atlast.....

Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 18 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OK, if you don't obsess too badly about the health of your coronary arteries, this recipe for turkey tetrazzini is amazing. I take no credit for it --I found it on cooks.com. I always use the search terms "best turkey tetrazzini i have ever eaten," which is what the submitter wrote on the recipe, and I agree. The family started asking when I would be cooking this back while the turkey was still in the oven.

For non-drinkers, the alcohol in the sherry cooks off, leaving only the nutty flavor, which really adds something special. I don't use "cooking sherry," whatever that is; just cheap drinking sherry --Taylor Dry Sherry. From the looks of the bottle in the cabinet, it's been up there for at least 2 years, lol.

Turkey Tetrazzini from Cooks.com

TURKEY TETRAZZINI

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Dash nutmeg
Dash cayenne
2 c. milk
1 can (10 1/2 oz.) condensed chicken broth undiluted
2 egg yolks
1/2 c. light cream < -- umm, I use heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. dry sherry
1 pkg. (8 oz.) thin spaghetti
4 c. cooked turkey, in large pieces
1 can (6 oz.) sliced mushrooms < --note: yuck; use fresh mushrooms, 4-8 oz
1 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
Parmesan cheese

Make sauce: Melt butter in saucepan stir in flour, salt, nutmeg and cayenne pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk and chicken broth; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil gently, 2 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened.

In small bowl beat yolks with cream. Gently beat in a little of the hot mixture. Return to saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce is hot do not boil. Remove from heat and add sherry.

Cook spaghetti as to package directions; drain. Add 2 cups sauce to drained spaghetti and toss until well blended. < -- note: I do add part of the turkey and mushrooms to this initial 2 cups of sauce. I like having them in the body of the dish as well as on the top. Add turkey and mushrooms to remaining sauce.

Turn spaghetti into 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish. Spoon turkey mixture over top. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, then cover top with Parmesan cheese.

Bake in preheated 300 degree oven covered 25 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes more or until piping hot. Serves 8. This is the best tetrazzini I have ever eaten.

Yum. Time to start chopping up the carcass.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 24
demi
Established Contributor

Favorite parts...breast, skin and wing tips (actually stuffing, but not technically part of the bird)

Sandwich...breast, mayo, stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce on some type of nutty wheat bread..salt and pepper

But, the tetrazzini recipe sounds awesome, made stock with the carcass (froze, will probably end up throwing the frozen stock out six months from now LOL).  So, may try with chicken.  Love Tetrazzini...actually really love Stouffers frozen tetrazzini, don' t know if I have ever had anything else since elementary school

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.