Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First paycheck of the year...sad day

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

First paycheck of the year...sad day

So I got my "compensation letter" last week (the we-appreciate-you-so-much-our-company-is-doing-great-because-of-people-like-you-here's-your-crappy-raise letter) and was looking forward to seeing the slight bump in my check.  Well, sorry, no, thanks to the SS tax going back up and increases in insurance, my check actually went down. 

Don't get me wrong, I am truly grateful for my job, but I sure would like to see a little more "appreciation" go to employees rather than the CEO. I'm still surprised that I wasn't aware that the "fiscal cliff" deal didn't include the extension for the SS tax.  I'd think that would be a headline...

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: First paycheck of the year...sad day

im dreading seeing the change in my paycheck come Tuesday

Message 2 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Friday may be doomsday for us....ugh

I guess I will have to 'cut back' on a few things to compensate for the loss....like entertainment.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 10
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

You should not have been living on it anyways, it was there for us all the stimulate the economy.

Message 4 of 10
demi
Established Contributor

From what I understand, both side of the aisle were not in favor of further extension of decrease in SSI taxes.  Would have been nice to have it go up over two year period.  It hard to believe its only been 2 years since it was lowered.  Got used to it fast!

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 10
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

You should not have been living on it anyways, it was there for us all the stimulate the economy.

In my own defense:

A) Single mother. Nuff said.

B) 1st time I have NOT been self-employed, so it never really registered on my radar that there was ever a discount in the first place

C) Would have been nice if there had been SOME kind of reminder either from my employer or the news cycle that it was happening.  MANY of my direct reports came to me asking what happened to their paychecks, so lots of folks were taken off guard.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 6 of 10
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

It comes up in the news around the end of the year, im shocked we even got it for 2 years.

My guess is this year they will do something else. Maybe a repeat of 2008 when we got the rebate checks.

Message 7 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

A stimulus check would 'work' for me.

Message 8 of 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

I felt like it was in the news quite a bit actually.  But we still had lots of clients (I work at a CPA firm) calling in screaming about their taxes anyway.

Message 9 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

IMHO the tax holiday should have been done in the first place.  I rather see social security reform and if you don't see why just go to any social security office and see who is waiting on line for benefits.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.