Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floating high....then crashed. BAM!

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Floating high....then crashed. BAM!

This month has thrown me for a loop with all kinds of surprises (like the car accident and being stranded.)

I sat down last night to do the finances.  Pay day is coming.  I looked at my budget.  It's tight, no doubt, and the extra tight being stranded (meals    out, expenses associated with a hotel stay not planned, etc.)   Earlier this week, I logged onto my bank account and was SHOCKED to see that I was overdrawn!  I quickly did the math and tried to figure out HOW I was overdrawn.  Figured it out, fixed it.  Wait a few days.  The dust settles.  So last night, back to the money board.

I input into my program all the accounts I want to put money into - food, gas, utilities, tax, insurance, etc.  Following my budget like a good girl.

And to my SHOCK, I actually had enough money!  With money left over!  I thought for sure, I must have made a mistake or something.  How could I have money leftover after all of the unexpected expenses??  Especially when I am trying to build up a 1k cushion in my checking account.  

I logged back in to my account and money program today and did the numbers again.  Still the same.  Somehow I was blessed with the numbers working out.  I go through, do all of the transfers, pay all of the bills, and smile.  Yep, floating high on that feel good feeling...I even paid my insurance bill last week and still had money left over!

Weu weu!

Then I started lamenting about how my medicine costs have gone up 230% in a month (no joke), real estate taxes jumped 13%, home owners insurance jumped 13% over last year, car insurance leaped up 35%...stuff like that and there have been no pay raises since 2007.  Gov't.  Drop in income of $1550 starting in June.  And somehow I managed to pay it all.  What a GOOD feeling!

And then it hit me.  Like a brick wall.  I forgot to pay my property taxes.  (Rounding up - $1800 for the first payment.)  Oh. Sh*t.  I had moved the money from the tax savings account into the checking account but forgot to designated it as the tax money!  And I just disbursed it to all of the other accounts and to the bills.  Oh.  Sh*t.  

Thank goodness for emergency savings.  I had enough to cover the tax bill.  Paid it today.  (ER savings also paid the hotel bills since insurance company has not settled up yet.)

Just one of those months.  *sigh*   It all works out.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Floating high....then crashed. BAM!

Got a head ache thinking about it. You proved the reason we need emergency savings.
Message 2 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I am SOOO greatful I had emergency savings!  It saved the day (and the bank account!)

Message 3 of 7
baller4life
Super Contributor

YES!! An absolute must. Glad it all worked out!
Message 4 of 7
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Yeah, anytime the numbers are off in my favor I KNOW I am forgetting something, lol. But glad it worked out for you. Smiley Happy I love emergency savings, a lot better than emergency credit cards. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Here we are, two months later, and another emergency.  *sigh*

The emergency savings has not been built up since the last one, but fingers crossed, I will get through this!  Smiley Happy

On a side note, I had bought an extended appliance warranty through Lowe's for a few things around the house.  I tell ya, it's come in handy.  The warranty has just paid for itself and saved me a few bucks!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, i KNOW exact ally what your talking about. I've recently  built enough savings that I have a 1k cushion in my checking  because I was so paranoid of overdrawing. I just recently started charging EVERY single solitary thing. And it's a huge a weight off my shoulders, just the stress alone. I find my finances much more manageable now.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.