Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Spencer.

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

For Spencer.

Our best friend passed away on November 14th.  His name is Spencer.  He was our dog.

He died right in front of us, and we didn't know that for about 20 minutes.  And that's a  good thing, I think. 

I'm not so sure my wife agrees, not now, anyways.  She misses him so much, she was always his favorite. 

He'd listen to me (not that he had much of a choice about it, 'cause I speak Pit Bull, too),  And he loved me, as I loved him.

I'm not trying to bum anyone out here, but there is a big hole in our life right now. 

I guess the reason for me writing this is because of something I saw this morning.  I can't get it out of my head.

I'm always up early.  And although I'm an older guy, I'm not an idiot, deaf or blind.

A car door slammed in front of our home.  I looked out the window to see an SUV speeding up the street, with the dogs he/she left behind, trying their best to catch up.

I've looked for them for hours now.  I hope they're OK.  Both of them can live here if they'd like.

How can people be so cruel to anyone or anything giving absolute devotion and love to them?  I just don't understand it at all.

Uborrow-Upay

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: For Spencer.

I am so sorry for your loss.  Pets are family members more than they are pets.

It has been just over a year since my Pit Bull was taken from us.  I still miss him and always will.  Had he left us in a way different than what happened it would be easier to deal with.

Why people just don't surrender them to a no kill shelter is beyond me.  That is the most abusive thing to do to what is supposed to be their family.

I hope you find them.  I know they will be in good hands.

Message 2 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Thanks, guiness56.  And I am awfully sad to hear about your loss, I feel it for sure.

I have a call in to the animal shelter, my wife and I have donated considerably to them, and have adopted there as well.  Hopefully, these two dogs will turn up.  When they do, they've got a home here if they want it.

Thanks again, and good to see you, it's been awhile since I've hung around.  But we are a family, yes? 

Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones.

Uborrow-Upay

Message 3 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 11
RnJ
Contributor

Uborrow-Upay,

I just want to express my sorrow for the loss of your buddy Spencer, it's never easy coping with the loss of a treasured pet Smiley Sad

As for the cursed-can't-say-what-I'm-thinking-you-know-what who abandoned the dogs, karma will find it's way, rest assured.  Think positive that a kind-hearted soul will rescue them and find a good home. 

Message 5 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

RnJ, thank you. 

I believe you are right, too.  One of our rescue dogs was estimated to be about 8 years old when we got him from the shelter.  The vet had refused to put him down because he was such a nice dog.  He was caged there for over six months.  Guess he knew we'd show up, eventually.

We didn't even pick him.  He picked us, and he was also a valued, much loved family member for the next ten years.  He was a happy camper, right to his last day.

I very much appreciate hearing from folks who understand this, and I am grateful for every moment of joy our four-legged friends have given to me and my wife. 

Again, thank you for your understanding and compassion.

Uborrow-Upay

Message 6 of 11
KaLin
Administrator Emeritus

I agree with the "what goes around, comes around".  And I've always heard that you can tell the true spirit of a person by how they treat animals.  People who would abandon their own pets like that are a special kind of psycho in my book.  And I doubt they have any friends because they probably treat people the same way they treated their pets . . . as disposable commodities. 

But this all comes from someone who has also had beloved pets die.  One of our dogs was actually poisoned by a neighbor.  grrrrrr.......Smiley Mad  (She died 3 weeks later. . . karma, perhaps? )  And one of our cats died in our arms as we were rushing him to the vet.  I still cry when I remember them. . . and it's been 12 years now.  Smiley Sad  I still have 2 cats that have the run of the house and can't even imagine losing them, but I know I'll have to face their deaths in the future.  When you've had them for so long, they are definitely part of the family and become your "kids".

Message 7 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

KaLin wrote:  When you've had them for so long, they are definitely part of the family and become your "kids".

Thank you for saying that, KaLin.  That's precisely how we feel.

I'm so sorry for your losses, too.  I try to think of all of the goofy, funny things we've shared with our pets, and because of them.  That makes me smile and laugh, and I realize then that each one of our beloved pets has given us a joy that is priceless.

That never goes away.

I'm gonna shut up now.

Thanks for helping to lighten the load a bit. 

Uborrow-Upay   

Message 8 of 11
RnJ
Contributor

You don't have to shut up, there's probably more animal lovers on the forum than admit Smiley Happy

As a veterinary technician, I understand all too well.  I believe that they come to us (choose us) and we're more blessed in that way.  Losing them is like losing a part of yourself, and sometimes so much harder than losing a human - I don't mean that to come across the wrong way, but pet owners know that feeling.

Sharing is sometimes a way of healing.  I'm not sure if the pain ever goes away, but it does lessen in severity in time.  As a great poet once said:  it is better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all.

That said, the cycle of love and life continue...someone very special is waiting for you (perhaps at the shelter Smiley Happy  (when and if you are ready)

Message 9 of 11
Surlaw

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

How can people be so cruel to anyone or anything giving absolute devotion and love to them?  I just don't understand it at all.

Uborrow-Upay

I'm sorry about your friend. I know it really knocks the wind out of you when something like this happens.

It is pretty harrowing that some people abandon animals. The very  idea of leaving my little Boudi on the street is almost more than I can handle. It's unfathomable.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.