Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found out some bad news today

tag
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

Found out some bad news today

My son has been getting bullied on the bus. Neither his mom or me had any idea it was happening. I always ask how his day went and how was school etc. There are 3. 5th graders about twice his size. He has informed his teacher but she ignores it and says to stop tattling. He is being physically pushed around etc. So because of this he has missed almost 2 months of school. Instead of going on the bus he stays inside and skips school. The school never told us he has even been missing school. I just can't believe the teacher didn't at least call and ask why he had been gone a month straight. With only 3 weeks of school left now we aren't sure if he will finish 3rd grade. I am so upset in so many ways today. Unfortunately I don't live close enough to drive him to school or I would. There will be a sit down with the school counselor, principal and teacher this week.
I don't understand why my son didn't tell me either. We are very close. There was an issue with a bulky early in the school year but we talked about it and took care of it. Has anyone else dealt with something similar?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Found out some bad news today

So sorry you have had to deal with this, even sorrier that your child has had to.  I've always preached to my children the lessens of life I think are most important.  One of those is how we treat others.  It doesn't make you a big person to belittle or bully someone, what makes you a big person is how you take those people who are in need in need and help them.  That's the mentality I use in life, and one of the big reasons I'm here.  I received so much help from the members here, when I got back on my feet, I wanted to return the favor to others.

And shame on the teacher and the others on the bus that allowed this to happen.  Someone needed to step up, but they failed to do so.  I do hope that you get this resolved and your child gets the education he needs and deserves.  Best of luck to you.

FYI... my son, while in school.  I had to go up to the school because he got in trouble in 6th grade.  He obviously got in a fight with 3 boys.  I asked the specifics, because my child is very soft spoken and had a heart of gold.  One of his friends was getting hit and pushed and he jumped in the middle of them.  Took the first one out, then the second, and chased the 3rd away.   They were eight graders.  I started training my son in Martial Arts at the age of 4, and had preached to him the value and the terms of learning it.  I knew he would never get into an altercation without due cause.  I talked to him afterwards.  He told me he couldn't stand there and let his friend take it, he had to do something.  I told him to keep his chin up, do what you feel in your heart is right and I will stand right beside him. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 21
CWL
Established Member

Im so sorry for what your son went through. I was constantly bullied in school and would never tell anyone because I thought that doing so would bring more attention on me- the LAST thing I wanted.........I tried doing everything possible to avoid the pain and embarassment- I pray for your child.

I swore to myself that if I ever had a child they would learn martial arts at a very young age. As soon as I can my 4 yo daughter will be in a class.

Good luck!

"http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2760iB9166C1A493A3CBC" border="0"
Starting FICO (EQ) (1/7/13) - 567 6/11/14 - 670 = Goal - 750
Cap 1 QS1 $2300 I AMEX PRG NPSL I Marriott Prem rewards $5K I AMEX Everyday Pref $1K I CSP $5K
NO DEBT / 8% UTILIZATION
Message 3 of 21
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

i would notify the district superindent if your meeting goes no were with the teacher and prinicipal...good luck

Message 4 of 21
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

So sorry you have had to deal with this, even sorrier that your child has had to.  I've always preached to my children the lessens of life I think are most important.  One of those is how we treat others.  It doesn't make you a big person to belittle or bully someone, what makes you a big person is how you take those people who are in need in need and help them.  That's the mentality I use in life, and one of the big reasons I'm here.  I received so much help from the members here, when I got back on my feet, I wanted to return the favor to others.

And shame on the teacher and the others on the bus that allowed this to happen.  Someone needed to step up, but they failed to do so.  I do hope that you get this resolved and your child gets the education he needs and deserves.  Best of luck to you.

FYI... my son, while in school.  I had to go up to the school because he got in trouble in 6th grade.  He obviously got in a fight with 3 boys.  I asked the specifics, because my child is very soft spoken and had a heart of gold.  One of his friends was getting hit and pushed and he jumped in the middle of them.  Took the first one out, then the second, and chased the 3rd away.   They were eight graders.  I started training my son in Martial Arts at the age of 4, and had preached to him the value and the terms of learning it.  I knew he would never get into an altercation without due cause.  I talked to him afterwards.  He told me he couldn't stand there and let his friend take it, he had to do something.  I told him to keep his chin up, do what you feel in your heart is right and I will stand right beside him. 

Kuddos to you and your son.  I also agree with what he did to defend his friend.  In my day, a very long time ago, we took care of the bullies the same way.  Sometimes you just need to beat the tar out of them. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 5 of 21
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

Kuddos to you and your son.  I also agree with what he did to defend his friend.  In my day, a very long time ago, we took care of the bullies the same way.  Sometimes you just need to beat the tar out of them. 

FYI... that little boy of mine is now 19, 6'3 230 lbs, a 3rd Degree black and I can't whip him anymore.  Student has become the master.  lol

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 21
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

My son's mom went straight to the superintendent. The schools system is obviously broken. We get calls on school events but not when our son misses school? Nobody notices he is gone for a month straight? I guess the bullying has been at school and not the bus. Needless to say I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the front office doesn't get fired. My son is one that doesn't like yelling and his teacher is screaming at these kids. His mom and the principal couldn't believe how loud she was. I am working on getting him into something in the summer to help boost self esteem. I really would like to get him into martial arts and build his confidence. It's very tough with my schedule rotating every 3 weeks and her working longer hours. Plus I am about 35 miles away 1 way.
The school had talked about him doing summer school to make up the missed time. I just hope he doesn't have to repeat the 2nd grade. I think he understands the consequences of his actions.
Message 7 of 21
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

I picked my son up friday and watched him get off the bus almost in tears again.  The first thing he said to me was he wants to go to a different school.

One of the bullies rides his bus.  As the bus drove away the kid yells I will beat you up Monday.  I was so mad.  I am at my wits end with this school.  We left another complaint again it just doesn't seem to be getting resolved.  Meeting with the principle and superintendent again next week.   At least he knows to tell us about what goes on now.  He told me everything then he told his mom too.

I wish my son could go to school out by me.  There would be no issues at the schools where I live.

I found out his teacher is getting let go after the school year is done.    There are many complaints for her methods of dealing with student which include swearing and lots of yelling at the kids.  My son is scared to death of her.   When we went to the school we could hear her yelling at the kids from halfway down the hall way.

I don't want to have to take any legal action but this is getting out of hand.

My cousin had a similar situation and it was ignored on all fronts.  The principle, superintendant, teachers all looked the other way.  They ended up getting a lawyer and sued the school.   The school lost and had to paid for him to attend a different school and private counseling.

Message 8 of 21
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@CWL wrote:

Im so sorry for what your son went through. I was constantly bullied in school and would never tell anyone because I thought that doing so would bring more attention on me- the LAST thing I wanted.........I tried doing everything possible to avoid the pain and embarassment- I pray for your child.

I was also bullied in school (primarily middle school) because I'm Asian. I too don't talk about it to my parents because fear of retaliation from bullies.

Message 9 of 21
azguy13
Senior Contributor

I was bullied throughout all of elementary school. I never told my parents because I thought it was embarrassing. With that being said, Junior High and High school was great. Just like Shogun's kid, I turned out to be 6'4 235 lbs and can take care of myself. I do not hold anything against those kids because we were children and they did what they thought would make them popular at the time. Sadly, that involved bullying.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.