Free SPG Gold Status for 5 Months

Not sure we often we'll use it.  But at least it is available:

9-29-2017 12-29-54 PM.jpg

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Free SPG Gold Status for 5 Months

What card was that from?  SPG Gold isn't anywhere near as good as Marriott Gold Elite (which is fantastic!), which you should have for at least the first year since you got the Ritz-Carlton card (congrats again).  Linking your Marriott and SPG accounts will automatically give you reciprocal status, and allow you to transfer points at will 1:3 or 3:1 in 1000 point increments.  I just wish some form of gold+gold+gold would give me Platinum Elite status since I could never do it on stays, but I already have two cards giving me the gold status.  Marriott Gold Elite is great because it gives you guaranteed 4 PM checkout, free breakfast (for entire family or a guest), free enhanced WiFi (which seems to average $20-30 a day), and lounge access (only gold members with the business SPG card get that with Starwood).  That alone was enough to more than offset my Amex Platinum AF this year!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Platinum is best of all three.

And yes Gold Elite through Marriott is tons better than Gold through SPG. Both have possibilities of upgrades but w/Platinum all I have to do is call or email ahead of time and they'll usually block me into a suite.

Message 3 of 10
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

What card was that from?  SPG Gold isn't anywhere near as good as Marriott Gold Elite (which is fantastic!), which you should have for at least the first year since you got the Ritz-Carlton card (congrats again).  Linking your Marriott and SPG accounts will automatically give you reciprocal status, and allow you to transfer points at will 1:3 or 3:1 in 1000 point increments.  I just wish some form of gold+gold+gold would give me Platinum Elite status since I could never do it on stays, but I already have two cards giving me the gold status.  Marriott Gold Elite is great because it gives you guaranteed 4 PM checkout, free breakfast (for entire family or a guest), free enhanced WiFi (which seems to average $20-30 a day), and lounge access (only gold members with the business SPG card get that with Starwood).  That alone was enough to more than offset my Amex Platinum AF this year!

This is just a regular SPG membership, no credit card attached to.  SPG is my next project.  The Ritz Marriott and SPG situation is somehow confusing.  I need to sort it out.  We canceleld the Marriott card.  I do not think we'll have that since we have so many travel cards.

Message 4 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It's convoluted but not too confusing.  Essentially, the programs and the hotels are still completely separated, but they do status matching.  It just happens that SPG Gold is actually closer to Marriott Silver than Gold Elite, so getting Marriott Gold Elite is a fantastic perk for those than get it through SPG.  The other interesting byproduct of course is that the Starwood cards (and in some case Amex Platinum) are better Marriott cards than Chase's own actual Marriott cards due to their higher effective earning completely across the board after the 3:1 conversion.

Message 5 of 10
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

It's convoluted but not too confusing.  Essentially, the programs and the hotels are still completely separated, but they do status matching.  It just happens that SPG Gold is actually closer to Marriott Silver than Gold Elite, so getting Marriott Gold Elite is a fantastic perk for those than get it through SPG.  The other interesting byproduct of course is that the Starwood cards (and in some case Amex Platinum) are better Marriott cards than Chase's own actual Marriott cards due to their higher effective earning completely across the board after the 3:1 conversion.

It is good to be able to game around with the 3 or 4 cards.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the SPG gold status because Amex Platinum and seems pretty worthless.  I will see about getting a Marriot account and linking them although staying at Marriot for a vacation seems pretty depressing.  Seems they focus on business travelers. 

Ok so got the accounts linked and now I have Marriott Gold Status. Doesn't seem much use either other than the 4PM checkout.  

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the SPG gold status because Amex Platinum and seems pretty worthless.  I will see about getting a Marriot account and linking them although staying at Marriot for a vacation seems pretty depressing.  Seems they focus on business travelers. 

Ok so got the accounts linked and now I have Marriott Gold Status. Doesn't seem much use either other than the 4PM checkout.  

You're staying in the wrong Marriott's then.

Message 8 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Explore their brands!  They don't really dabble in the budget market (not sure how far my elite status would go at an equivalent of Motel 6 or Days Inn), but they have every other kind of property under the sun.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You're staying in the wrong Marriott's then.

Back when I worked a lot in NYC I stayed at the Marriott is Times Square.  As I usually checked in late they always upgraded me..  One time I had a room with a dinning table and a bunch of chaise lounge chairs.  Total chairs in the room was 30.  Still not my kind of hotel.  Prefer hotels with some sort of personality.    Plus they tend to charge you for everything.  If a room costs over 400 a night they shouldn't be trying to charge you for everything under the sun.  I wasn't paying for at of it but still gave me a bad taste about the brand.    Plus have stayed at a lot of courtyards. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.