Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

Soooo....

It's the time of year when we (OK, I) start to ponder the thought of appearing in shorts in another month or two, flashing those flabby pale thighs, horrifying the neighbors and frightening the local pets and wildlife. I definitely managed to add a layer of winter insulation over the last 3 months or so.

I came across a thread on an unrelated forum where members were posting their weight-loss goals once a week, in order to be accountable to others and therefore more successful. I thought, hmm, writing it down and taping it up on the fridge where all can see is certainly one way of keeping honest on a weight-loss program. It was at least 45 minutes before it dawned on me, hey, we could have a thread like that here!

So here it is, the other FICO fitness thread. No tell-all, no pictures, no embarrassing before-and-after weights, no humiliating stories of how your zipper broke and your whatever leapt free at the company picnic; just here's how much I plan to lose, updated every Friday morning with the new (let's hope, lower) weights.

Pick a number, any number, for the number of pounds that you'd like to lose. If that number is scary-large, or seems impossible, try breaking it down. If you want to lose 40 pounds, start with announcing that you're going for 10 pounds. 60 pounds? --maybe post 15 pounds, or 20 pounds. What if all you want to lose is 15 pounds, but you have no faith whatsoever that you can stay away from the candy machine at work? --post 5 pounds.

Once you reach that goal, you can decide whether to set another one and start up again, or if you're pretty happy where you are.

This thread (if it takes off) is meant to be supportive, so it will be ruthlessly moderated. Posts about you, a spoon, and a gallon of ice cream will go bye-bye. :smileyvery-happy: If you fall off the wagon and want some support, please post! But in consideration of those who are on low-carb diets, please don't tell us all the gory details about the two Boston cream pies, and for those on low-fat diets, spare us the confessions about you, a skillet, and a pound of applewood bacon. * pauses to wipe away drool * And so forth.

So here it is, a chance for you to publicly commit to losing X pounds, or two shirt sizes, or four BMI numbers, if you prefer. It's not a competition. No one "wins" if they get there first, and no one "loses" if nothing much happens.

Just post how many pounds or whatever over your (initial) goal you are, and why you want to lose. <--That part is important. When you're having a pity party, it's useful to be reminded of why you're doing this.

Weigh yourself on Friday mornings, after using the bathroom, and before breakfast, dressed in your birthday suit. Or if you want to weigh at a different time and under different conditions, that's fine too, but try to make it consistent.

Be patient with yourself. If you're not all that young, and if you don't have the metabolism of an NBA basketball star, you're not going to be losing 5 pounds of fat a week. (Water, yes.) Get some sort of exercise program going. Be kind to yourself --yes, it is technically possible to live on 600 calories a day, but it's incredibly damaging to your body, and you will be non-stop miserable. Yes, drink lots and lots and lots of water, even if you don't believe that it's that important normally. Reduced food intake and increased exercise will create lots of byproducts that your kidneys will have to excrete, and you don't want to damage them. Your urine should be almost clear. (Sorry to be a bit graphic, but that's important.) If you have a medical condition that needs to be followed by a healthcare provider, like diabetes or heart disease, tell your provider what you're doing.

So, enough preaching. Here's how your post will look:

+20  <-- this means that you are twenty pounds over your goal

planning on a cruise in April

OR

+3 dress sizes  <-- this means that you're an 16 and you want to be a 10, or you're a 24 and you want to be an 18

going to be a bridesmaid in your college roommate's wedding

OR

+4 BMI units  <-- maybe your BMI is 29, and you want to be at 25

obesity runs in your family, and you want to nip it in the bud

Tomorrow morning is Friday, so jump on board! Those who come to this post later can certainly sign up at any time in the week, but Friday mornings will be the big Update Day.

If you think it takes a long time to get a CO or lien off your reports, maybe this will be something you can do in the meantime.

Good luck, everyone! I hope I have some company.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

I'm going to start a little early, in order to get the ball rolling:

+25 pounds

hoping for knee replacement surgery later this year, and the lighter I am, the better

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 84
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

I need to get a scale...Smiley Sad But Ive been in the gym 5 days a week (IM EXHAUSTEDSmiley Indifferent

Im totally down for this challenge! I think Id like to lose 20lbs. Hips and thighs not included!

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 3 of 84
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'm game.

Weight needs to be shed. A lot of it. I'll start at 80 pounds. Both sides of the family had always been a little overweight, but I broke the mold and am lots overweight. I was thin and ran several miles each day when I met my bride-to-be 17 years ago and would like to get back to that again. I also want to lose because I have a 20-year reunion sometime this year. Our family is also completing some financial and business goals are plan to go on a cruise once we accomplish them, and would complete that sometime this fall. I don't want to be that guy on the beach with nice shorts and a nice shirt wearing white socks in my sandals.

To accomplish this goal I'll continue what I'm doing now. Already lost between 10-15 pounds since last month just via supplementation and diet changes alone and my britches are ill-fitting. DW and I also took a genetic test to see how our body processes carbs/fats and learned that my metabolism is high, but I pack on the pounds with too many fats. DW has a low metabolism and can eat extra fats without issue, but the carbs get to her. Through her diet change she's lost over 10 pounds in January. So we'll keep on keeping on. I need to exercise more though. Time to dust of the P90X.

2/3/2012:    +80 pounds

Message 4 of 84
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Thanks,  Hauling!  I'm game, too.

I just weighed but I just ate and came home from the gym, so I'll weigh in first thing in the a.m.  Too late to get today's weight.

I will give myself kudos for going to spin class 3 times this week - that's one hour on a bike going hard core.  Would like to go four times a week but I'm so busy and it is hard to get there.  I need to reduce stress and exercise helps me with this.  I am so much happier, depression falls off like a cloak.  Why I stop going, I have no idea.  But I'm back in the game!

Might have to start a gluten free diet to help with psoriosis - but need a blood test first to see if I have the gluten allergy thing before I waste my time going through that hellish of a diet plan. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 84
AllPro
Contributor

Im game too..  +30  Just started P90x again.  Plyometrics tomorrow = Sad hamstrings

Starting Score: EQ 729 TU 727
Current Score: Ex (AMEX) 765 EQ 734 TU 736
Goal Score: 780+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 84
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@AllPro wrote:

Im game too..  +30  Just started P90x again.  Plyometrics tomorrow = Sad hamstrings

Ouch! I've heard good things about P90x. For other people! Smiley Very Happy  Or at any rate, people with functioning knees.

Welcome aboard!

Message 7 of 84
AllPro
Contributor

Yeah i have a old knee injury.The first  couple times it really hurt , i had to hit the pause button. after a few weeks though it dosent hurt like it did.You can do the cardio disc instead of the plyo if your unable...

Starting Score: EQ 729 TU 727
Current Score: Ex (AMEX) 765 EQ 734 TU 736
Goal Score: 780+

Message 8 of 84
demi
Established Contributor

OK, I'll bite (well, maybe not the best terminology in this case)...+80.  For better health!  bad back (2 surgery's) and knees are starting to show the wear and tear...plus blood pressure.  Already started Weight Watchers, will work out for a month or two to nintendo and walking the dogs...build up to more, swim in summer and bike.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Message 9 of 84
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@demi wrote:

OK, I'll bite (well, maybe not the best terminology in this case)...+80.  For better health!  bad back (2 surgery's) and knees are starting to show the wear and tear...plus blood pressure.  Already started Weight Watchers, will work out for a month or two to nintendo and walking the dogs...build up to more, swim in summer and bike.

Welcome aboard! It's a great time of year to start.

My exercise is pretty much limited to a recumbent exercise bike, and even then I have to ice my knee afterwards. But all the little numbers flashing up about calories burned and mile biked are cute, and I do like the various programs (courses) to choose from.

Message 10 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.