Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

Was 186 about 2.5 wks ago.

Was trying to get down to 170 again before my next cruise this coming weekend.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 21 of 84
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

So,

I am currently +90 Smiley Sad

I am not going to lie, but in the past 9 months, i have dropped nearly 65 lbs.

I want to get down to about 230 ..... if that tells you anything....

yes i was almost 400lbs >.<

i weighed myself this morning at 323.4

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 22 of 84
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Repo-ed wrote:

Was 186 about 2.5 wks ago.

Was trying to get down to 170 again before my next cruise this coming weekend.

Gahhh! It kills me how guys can drop weight so fast. Smiley Sad

But big congrats on the loss, and I hope your cruise is wonderful.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 23 of 84
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@BadCredBen wrote:

So,

I am currently +90 Smiley Sad

I am not going to lie, but in the past 9 months, i have dropped nearly 65 lbs.

I want to get down to about 230 ..... if that tells you anything....

yes i was almost 400lbs >.<

i weighed myself this morning at 323.4

Ah, that's incredible! That's so inspiring!

And it can be done; I've seen it. Nothing easy about it, but it can be done.

Thank you for posting this. I'm definitely keeping you in mind when I glare at my romaine and spinach salad tomorrow. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 84
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to chime in here with my moral support to everyone who has taken on this challenge.  For me, I'm observing 3 years since I began my own weight loss quest.  The old timers on these forums might recall that instead of FICO scores, I was posting my body mass index numbers in my signature.  This is what it used to read:

3-21-06: 32.2
8-7-07: 30.9
2-15-09: 30.3
4-5-09: 27.8
5-14-09: 26.6
7-16-09: 25.3
8-5-09: 24.9

Before then, I had been obese for nearly 10 years.  Nothing could motivate me to lose weight, even though I kept having to buy bigger clothes and store away the older clothes, promising myself that someday I would fit them again.

The turning point for me came when my daughter, then 4 years old, became aware of the concept of death.  Every day for two weeks, with tears in her eyes, she would ask, "Daddy, are you going to die soon?"  I would always reply, "No, sweetie, of course not."

Then I took a look at myself.  I was not yet 40 years old, but had been on two blood pressure medications for about 9 years.  My triglycerides were sky-high, and I was starting to flirt with pre-diabetes.  My resting heart rate was over 90, and I would experience sudden episodes of chest discomfort and shortness of breath.  I had sleep apnea.  I had a fatty liver.

I had been telling my little girl that I wasn't going to die soon.  But I realized at that point that I had been lying to her.  If I didn't change something - and change it immediately - then I was setting myself up for an early demise.

So I changed.  No more eating 3 bowls of Froot Loops along with 2 fried eggs and sausage in the morning.  No more piles of rice or noodles at dinner.  No more huge bowls of ice cream for dessert and a plate of nachos before bedtime.  Salads before every meal, green tea instead of sugared sodas.  I started working out in my workplace's exercise room and riding my bike to work.  After a while, these changes became habit.  Now, about 50 lbs later, I've been able to stay within a healthy range for the past 2.5 years.

Sure, it's not always easy.  Around this time of year, my evil nemesis, the Girl Scout, starts rearing her head.  Despite my attempts to steel myself against her most diabolical weapons - Thin Mints and Samoas - I usually fall off the wagon for a bit.  But having gone through weight loss before, I also know that I can recover from temporary lapses.

I did take down a box of clothes from the attic a few months ago, and was pleased to discover that I fit them once again.  Are argyle and paisley still in fashion?

Message 25 of 84
KaLin
Administrator Emeritus

@Lel wrote:

I did take down a box of clothes from the attic a few months ago, and was pleased to discover that I fit them once again.  Are argyle and paisley still in fashion?

Absolutely.  I've always said that if you hang on to your clothes long enough, they'll be back in fashion.  Seems like about a 20 year turn around time.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 84
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Oh Lordy, I'd forgotten, it's cookie time. Smiley Surprised. Smiley Sad

Congrats, Lel, that's very inspiring!
Message 27 of 84
Booner72
Senior Contributor

+20

Have gone another entire week without any dairy or gluten - though I think I got some wheat in some beans I ate at the work cafeteria. (No more cafeteria - even the vegie tray is dangerous!)   My psoriasis broke out 3 hours later. 

Still have some some patches but overrall I'd say 80% better than a month ago.  Also much calmer and mood more stable.  Who woulda thought?  Even DH notices.

My hands are feeling a ton better, not 100% but wayyy better than they were 3 weeks ago when I started this thing. (ETA:  I went to the dermatologist about 5 weeks ago and complained about my joints in my hands hurting bc there is always a risk of psoriatic arthritis when you have psoriosis.  He immediately referred me to a rheumatodologist....Instead of going to him, I went to the Naturopath who I saw 2 years ago who told me I was allergic to wheat, dairy, and gluten.....she thought that's what my skin's problem was.....I told her that's just too bad, I'm not being allergic to that stuff, and kept eating that way until now.....Big motivation to change when pain is involved).

The kids are not very happy with this.  I am enforcing getting the cow's milk out of the house and we switched to Almond and it is just as good - if you get the sweetened kind it's better.  I have been propagandized against the dairy - Did you know that both my kids HAVE to get the milk on their lunch tray?  Even if they say they aren't going to drink it.  This is the big money fed into the USDA by the dairy industry.  I know the solution is to pack their lunches, but boy, this is easy easy.....I'll get there...

The naturopath took us to Fred Meyer to the whole foods section and taught us about stuff I had never heard of and told us how to cook it.  It will be a slow process getting the junk food out of the house, but worth it.   And I think once I get the staples it should get less expensive. 

Even gave up coffee!  On work days I get the Yerba Mate with honey, which is SOOOO good.  Weekends - tea.  I used to drink 24+ ounces of coffee loaded with sug and creamer every single day. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 28 of 84
FrugalRican
Blogger

So, here's my story, back in 2009, I was at my heaviest: 230.

I'm 5'8, so at that point, my technical BMI was OBESE.

After some mild work in 2010 and some REALLY hard work in 2011, I weigh in currently at between 157-159, just depends on what day of the week you ask.

Ever since then, I've maintained a better weight, gone down from wearing XL to S, wearing size 40 pants to size 30, and being overall healthier.

Why "overall"? Well, as I have discovered over the past year, I might have lost weight, but being "skinny" necessarily doesn't mean being healthy.

I've been working on learning not only about credit, but also about nutrition and my health. I've already had a scenario where I ran up dental costs on a credit card... so yes, health can actually affect your credit.

One of the biggest things I came to realize was that as I lost weight, although it seemed like I was spending more on certain products, I was actually spending less overall. I might spend 4 bucks on whole grain bread instead of $1 on white bread, but I'm not spending extra money on cookies, twinkies, etc...

Now, the battle is for my overall heart health. My family has a long line of health, osteoporosis, amongst other related problems. My father was diagnosed as a Type II diabetic a few years ago. Even though I lost weight and feel healthier, MUCH healthier than I did at 230, I know I still have a ways to go. So now, I'm trying to make the right decisions for my heart and overall body.

My biggest struggle is sleep time. I'm never tired enough to go to sleep earlier, so the next day when I wake up, I feel terrible and immediately make my way over to the coffeemaker. The caffeine is a metabolic booster, but the sugar, fat free creamer and the repeated cups of it, aren't helping. I need to exercise more.

I've now implemented more oatmeal, more flaxseed, more salmon, more broccoli, and actually some red wine and some olive oil into my diet.

Mediterrenean? Perhaps. But the last thing I want to deny myself is a healthy life and a healthy heart. So even though I might not be reporting huge weight losses (I'm really not trying to lose weight anymore at this point), I know it'll happen as I stop making the small mistakes that might be adding up slowly.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 29 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jan 1, 2012 I weighed 200 in the morning after using the bathroom and in my b-day suit.

As of today I weigh 173.4, I lost most of that weight by the end of Jan, and been holding steady.

I'm just staying away from soda and eating 5 times a day, I finally got my metabolism working again.

I was a personal trainer for 7 years, so I have had experience teaching others how to do this, I never thought I'd have to lose weight myself, as I used to be able to eat anything and everything and never gain a pound, but that all changed once I reached the 40 year old markSmiley Tongue

Message 30 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.